E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > the truth about oil change milage.

03-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

the truth about oil change milage.

i always read that people think the oil change is based on certain amount of miles, but this might prove different. got a flyer in the mail today with some cool tips and this is always a topic on here.

"not based on time interval but on how you drive"

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

ok so the computer calculates it based on a certain set of threshold parameters. Who says those parameters are adequate technically or were they backed into by financial analysis? Ie calculate the longest possible interval, given an everage bmw driver, that we can run the oil for, given that it costs BMW X dollars per oil change and the cost of not changing the oil is Y dollars of waranty work/vehicle repair (ie the concequences of not chaning oil to often).

Since the consequences of not changing your oil often enough occur into the future, typically to the latter end of a car's useful life, when present valued, that amount would be small when compared to the incremental costs in the short term that BMW has to pay to change your oil more frequently, assuming a certain % of problems or engine failures.

In the end, it probably works fine for most average drivers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

That surprises me, because mine didnt say anything until 1k miles before the 15k service was required...Seems on par with the documented schedule, at least.... However, this concept is a cool idea if it did, infact, actually work that way.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
ok so the computer calculates it based on a certain set of threshold parameters. Who says those parameters are adequate technically or were they backed into by financial analysis? Ie calculate the longest possible interval, given an everage bmw driver, that we can run the oil for, given that it costs BMW X dollars per oil change and the cost of not changing the oil is Y dollars of waranty work/vehicle repair (ie the concequences of not chaning oil to often).

Since the consequences of not changing your oil often enough occur into the future, typically to the latter end of a car's useful life, when present valued, that amount would be small when compared to the incremental costs in the short term that BMW has to pay to change your oil more frequently, assuming a certain % of problems or engine failures.

Damn ............ I just had a college flashback. and =

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
thisguyhere
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

say what???
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

LOL - never mind - thats how an engineer who is now in finance thinks

basically, what is cheaper in the long run for BMW?

A) Cost of changing oil frequently but fewer warranty repairs in the future due to poor oil changes
B) Cost of less frequent oil changes but more warranty repairs in the future

Obviously there are other factors involved, this is a simplification. But in general terms, since the warantee repairs occur in the future, when BMW calculates what this cost would be today, it may be that its lower than the cost of doing a series of oil changes in the short term. Also, not all engines will fail due to poor oil (or can be proven to fail due to it), so assign a lower probability to that number and the present value shrinks even more.

I would love to believe that a room full of bmw engineers cranked out the threshold numbers that the ECU uses. Engineers, by nature, over design many things. Once the finance folks get a hold of it, it becomes, lets say more economical or never "flies"
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

There are several things that the DME looks at to calculate the oil life. Miles driven, how hard those miles are driven, how much fuel is used, freeway vs in town, cold engine vs hot, and also the condition of the oil (using a condition sensor built into the level sensor), and probably other stuff that I'm forgetting right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
so.... changing according to their interval safe or no!?!
      03-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

If you are running any kind of tune, I would say no.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I would love to believe that a room full of bmw engineers cranked out the threshold numbers that the ECU uses. Engineers, by nature, over design many things. Once the finance folks get a hold of it, it becomes, lets say more economical or never "flies"
all of the used oil analysis reports I've seen for E9X show that the engine oil additives are almost all used up at around 10000 miles, and the CBS still had a couple of thousand miles remaining before an oil change was indicated. I'm not well versed on what happens to engine oil at that point, but since the additives are there to do things like keep build up from forming, and prevent engine wear I would personally want to change the oil at 7500 miles before additives run out, and then increase the change intervals based on remaining additive and the wear metals seen in the oil

That said, I'm not a 'BMW engineer' and my car is leased, so whatever. I'm sticking with the OEM recommended service intervals and calling it a day
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #11
Fritzables
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i M-Sport

Yes, Nick is pretty close to the mark. I have access to an oil analysis laboratory through work and get mine checked regularly.

Basically, engine oil wears out which is based on environmental conditions, fuel burnt and mode of driving - obviously the oil quality itself has a bearing on the matter as well.

I change mine every 5,000K's which is based on our humidity and the way I drive.
If you have doubt, take your oil to a lab and get an IR analysis done on it to see what components are failing in your oil for the amount of K's you do.

Fritzables.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
davig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90330iS View Post
so.... changing according to their interval safe or no!?!
Not if you plan to keep the car after the warranty expires. All BMW cares about is getting these cars past warranty at the lowest possible cost. The "free maintenance" is essentially a marketing gimmick.

335i coupe, pss9s, F1 GD3
C5 Z06
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

dunno, I don't think I drive that harshly, but my car asked me to get an oil change at around 12k miles -.-
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
There are several things that the DME looks at to calculate the oil life. Miles driven, how hard those miles are driven, how much fuel is used, freeway vs in town, cold engine vs hot, and also the condition of the oil (using a condition sensor built into the level sensor), and probably other stuff that I'm forgetting right now.
Hate to dissapoint you but according to bmwfans.info all we have on our cars is an oil pressure switch, and level sensor. The technology for quality sensors is not quite there yet. So the only thing the ECU can look at is number of cold starts (against coolant temp) and operating hours which is the general standard for filter elements. Mileage interval is then simply your average indicated speed times allowed hours, maybe corrected for number of cold starts. But surely no more hi tech calculations.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Blk07335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post
Hate to dissapoint you but according to bmwfans.info all we have on our cars is an oil pressure switch, and level sensor. The technology for quality sensors is not quite there yet. So the only thing the ECU can look at is number of cold starts (against coolant temp) and operating hours which is the general standard for filter elements. Mileage interval is then simply your average indicated speed times allowed hours, maybe corrected for number of cold starts. But surely no more hi tech calculations.
I agree... maybe mpg as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
interesting
      03-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:

Agreed 100%. That's why I do a mid-year oil change myself. The oil filter is so easy to change out. I highly recommend at least changing out the oil filter if you don't want to do an oil change. Today's oil might be more advanced than years ago, but filter technology hasn't advanced as much.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post
I have no way of proving you wrong without distributing copywright info. But trust me, I'm a BMW certified technician. I've taken several classes at the BMW training center, with BMW training materials. I've also seen a code thrown in a car for contaminated oil. These cars do look at the condition of the oil. The oil level sensor also is a condition sensor, and a temperature sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #19
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
I have no way of proving you wrong without distributing copywright info. But trust me, I'm a BMW certified technician. I've taken several classes at the BMW training center, with BMW training materials. I've also seen a code thrown in a car for contaminated oil. These cars do look at the condition of the oil. The oil level sensor also is a condition sensor, and a temperature sensor.
There are a lot of considerations that define the condition of the oil in the sump. It would be fairly easy to detect water contamination for example. On the other hand it would take a large lab and a lot of time to determine if all of the standards embodied in LL01 were still being met.

So to say that the system monitors the condition of the oil is not the same as saying that the system can determine if the actual oil still meets all of its specs.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I think I'll have to eat my words. Never imagined we had this, even though it is not a 100% solution. I first tried to unplug the sensor to see how may pins, but with my hands i can't get to it. Did some googling instead and looks like you're right, see below. The 2nd one would back up why BMW would sue dealers using different oils

From (a lot more on BMW's service interval on this page): http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...095774&fpart=1
* The condition of the engine oil is monitored by a sensor in the oil pan. This sensor obtains the requisite information by measuring the electrical properties of the oil, which change as wear progresses and the additives in the oil become depleted.

From a GM forum:
* Oil condition sensors in some BMW and Mercedes products are useful, also. They have their limitations, though, as they can be blind to some contaminates and can, themselves, be contaminated by certain markers or constituents of certain engine oils. Oil condition sensors can only react to the specific oil at that moment and they add complexity, cost and another potential item to fail. One other beauty of the GM oil life monitor is that it is all software and does not add any mechanical complexity, mass, wiring or potential failure mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #21
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So this is the 20 millionth thread on this subject. I think I am the only one I've read that has actually followed the oil service schedule on my BMWs. I have a 1989 E30 with 293K miles; 12,000 mile oil change intervals. 120,000 miles was on non-synthetic oil (but with BG additive early on). I switched to Mobil 1 at about 130K miles. The motor is still running fine. I also have a 1997 Z3. Oil changes average also about 12,000 mile intervals. The car has 140K miles. The engine runs perfect. My E90 has 75K miles, motor is strong as the day I bought it. I've averaged about 17,500 miles between changes. I am the original owner of all three cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #22
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So this is the 20 millionth thread on this subject. I think I am the only one I've read that has actually followed the oil service schedule on my BMWs. I have a 1989 E30 with 293K miles; 12,000 mile oil change intervals. 120,000 miles was on non-synthetic oil (but with BG additive early on). I switched to Mobil 1 at about 130K miles. The motor is still running fine. I also have a 1997 Z3. Oil changes average also about 12,000 mile intervals. The car has 140K miles. The engine runs perfect. My E90 has 75K miles, motor is strong as the day I bought it. I've averaged about 17,500 miles between changes. I am the original owner of all three cars.
what's your point? Looks like you changed oil on your cars at shorter intervals than advertised by BMW. So do I. And did run my first E30 320i for 360 kmls, the second owner put another 50k on it before crashing it.

I change my oil at every 20kmls. BMW system might tell you 40k will do, to me degrading oil will cause accelerated wear which typically starts to show itself way after the warranty period. I (now) run my cars for 4-5 years, 120-150 kmls total, and to me the additional oil changes is peanuts compared the knowledge of having good oil

This thread is only on what the ECU calculates, and at least I learned a thing or two. But I'll still change my oil at 20k as there's loads of other factors, and certainly with EGR on diesels.
Appreciate 0