E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > red light camera ticket help

10-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

red light camera ticket help

Ok guys so i got a failure to obey traffic signal . made a right turn on a red without stopping completely . was caught on a red light camera . read on here a long time ago of people referencing traffic lawyers would be grateful for any references . i would much rather pay the lawyer than the city .

thank guys !!!
ps in portland ,Or
      10-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Jag Matto. Have him drive down in the Lambo lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
TonyTony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E92 Msport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I sucked it up last month and paid my ticket Not much you can do, they have photo evidence and video evidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Big Brother is watching! Ban government installed traffic video cams!!!!
      10-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
prelude2perfect
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 and 2015 535i

Most states did away with traffic cam tickets because they aren't really legal. How can you charge someone with a crime when the only evidence you have is the car, not the person, doing it? I'd fight it. I've used traffic lawyers many times before in other states and always won. Like you said, I'd rather pay money to a lawyer and not the police. Plus it won't hurt your record. I don't have any referrals but gl.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
_Adrenaline_
Rep
Drives: 335i

I thought red light cameras were ruled un-constitutional across the US, i feel like you could easily fight that, since the law has been changed in many other states.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
redghost
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Garage List
2011 335XI  [0.00]
Fred Hopkins in Seattle is the shit but traffic light tickets aren't that big of a deal. I believe they don't go on our record anyway. It might just be cheaper/easier to pay it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Take it to court and tell them to prove it was you.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
cwarren
Captain
Rep

thanks for the replies guys .not really worried about the record part as i don't have any tickets on there. i just don't want this one then next month end up with another and so on . i thought these cameras were also found unconstitutional but they still keep on using them and that's why i would rather pay a lawyer than the government .
      10-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

got one in Fife WA, which I learned afterwards is famous for such stuff. fought it via mail-in, pretty much with the strategy of how do you know it was me ? used this for the write-ups. in the end the court w/ no explanation just ordered me to pay the tkt. still worth a try IMO.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW
got one in Fife WA, which I learned afterwards is famous for such stuff. fought it via mail-in, pretty much with the strategy of how do you know it was me ? used this for the write-ups. in the end the court w/ no explanation just ordered me to pay the tkt. still worth a try IMO.
Fife is notorious. They should learn how to keep the correct people in. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Carl, I know it takes time out of your work schedule, but you should enter a plea of not guilty and take it to court regardless if you stopped or not. The fact that the light doesn't know if you stopped prior to the cross walk and without signs posted NO TURN ON RED should be enough for this to be dropped. Do they have video? Most of the cameras are owned an operated by a third party who just submit the tickets after review. I find it hard to believe they didn't throw this one out as you were making a right hand turn and not though the intersection on red. My new detector provides warning of red light cameras. Annoying at times, but an effective reminder.

effectively-beat-red-light-camera-ticket/

Quote: As there is no evidence of my involvement with this alleged ‘crime’, as well as the fact that I am not granted my 6th amendment right to face my ‘accuser’ (a camera); I see no way the government could prove my guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I also see find no legal requirement for me to implicate someone else in this process, as it is the government’s responsibility to prove a person’s guilt. It is also my 5th amendment right to remain silent on the matter.

If it is the government’s decision to move forward in this matter, I would request copies of any evidence the prosecution may have of my involvement in the “offense”; as well as, all maintenance records for the camera(s) involved.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
cwarren
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Carl, I know it takes time out of your work schedule, but you should enter a plea of not guilty and take it to court regardless if you stopped or not. The fact that the light doesn't know if you stopped prior to the cross walk and without signs posted NO TURN ON RED should be enough for this to be dropped. Do they have video? Most of the cameras are owned an operated by a third party who just submit the tickets after review. I find it hard to believe they didn't throw this one out as you were making a right hand turn and not though the intersection on red. My new detector provides warning of red light cameras. Annoying at times, but an effective reminder.

effectively-beat-red-light-camera-ticket/

Quote: As there is no evidence of my involvement with this alleged ‘crime’, as well as the fact that I am not granted my 6th amendment right to face my ‘accuser’ (a camera); I see no way the government could prove my guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I also see find no legal requirement for me to implicate someone else in this process, as it is the government’s responsibility to prove a person’s guilt. It is also my 5th amendment right to remain silent on the matter.

If it is the government’s decision to move forward in this matter, I would request copies of any evidence the prosecution may have of my involvement in the “offense”; as well as, all maintenance records for the camera(s) involved.
i just might lol. last ticket i recieved was an illegal lane change probably 4 year ago . i went threw the whole bs and had it removed but i lost four times the money easy, rather than just paying the damn thing . i told myself then im not going through all that s@#$ agian just seems every time i get a tickect is a bulls#$@ one .this was my reason for the traffic lawyer thought maybe a could just pay him and all would go away (maybe wishful thinking )
      10-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #14
bimmerdavid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Carl,

I got out of mine by saying I thought I saw flashing lights and an emergency vehicle coming up behind me so I pulled to the side of the road to allow him by. That worked in Sherwood.
      10-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdavid335 View Post
Carl,

I got out of mine by saying I thought I saw flashing lights and an emergency vehicle coming up behind me so I pulled to the side of the road to allow him by. That worked in Sherwood.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #16
Buratino117
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i n51

Good subject here...Lynnwood and Edmonds are actually famous with those cameras...They will not be discontinued because they are a big milking cow. The Washington law says that you are required to completly stop before proceeding to the right, regardless of a posted sighn or not. Got one of those, did a lot of research...Best thing is to go to the court and simply ask for a discount. It worked for me because unless you got ticketed with no reason, it would be very expensive to escape the fine. Good luck my fellow Washingtonians!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
cwarren
Captain
Rep

court on the 14th lol will see how it goes . never did find anyone to try and fight it.