E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > New to Forums, With not so happy Story :(

06-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
DarkSaloon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 X53.5i

Thumbs down New to Forums, With not so happy Story :( ***UPDATED***

Hi all,

So a little while ago i ordered my first BMW! I ordered a Jet Black E90 335i, Terra Dakota,Dark Burl,Sport,Premium,Cold,CA,Nav, & Ipod. I also ordered M Aero package at the last minute... so after weeks and weeks of waiting and tracking on owners circle, it finally arrived! The dealer called me and said the prepping would take a couple days and they would give me a call back when everything was ready... so 1 day passes, 2 days passes, and then a third.. soon enough 5 days pass by without a single call! I had began to think that the dealership was busy and just put my car off to finish, so I gave my CA a call Thursday.(June 19th) This is our conversation:

Me: Hey ________, Just wondering how my car is coming along and when I could come pick it up?!?

CA: Hey Shawn! uhh...Yeh it's sitting in the lot I believe, I haven't really heard much about it because I was on vacation but I will check on it for you and give you a call back.

Me: Ok great! I'm just really anxious to drive this beast!

CA: No problem Shawn, see you soon!

So, another day passes, no call, no e-mail, nothing. So I decided I'd take a quick drive down to my dealership, which is only 15 mins away. As I'm snooping around the lot, I can't seem to find my car...so I go inside to see my Ca, and he's off! So I speak to a SA and Sales Manager, and this is where it gets interesting.. The SA says he signed for it but never really saw the specific vehicle I'm inquiring about... while the Sales Manager said it was ready 2 days ago. So I'm sitting there in the lounge waiting for an answer and the Sales manager comes in and says that my car is at their detail location. Thank god! I was so relieved, so I said I'd pick it up in the next day!

Day 8:
I begin to think later in the day that detailing one car cannot possibly take 8 days, and I start to get nervous, I had that sinking feeling in my stomach the day I didn't see my car in the lot... and It's coming back by now. I called my CA and this is our convo:

Me: Hey _____, I really need my car soon, because this enterprise rental is killing me haha.

CA: Let me give you a call back. *click*

Me:

20 minutes later

CA: Hey, sorry I was just checking on your car...ummm...err....Shawn, we have a slight problem, the car isn't here nor the detail shop...I think there may have been a confusion in the shipping, we are in contact with our sources to see where the vehicle could be...

Me: What do you mean? You guys told me 8 days ago the car was in your lot and being detailed...how could it have never been there?

CA: I apologize, I really don't know?

Me: I'll be down there in 20. *click*

When I get down there the Sales Manager basically runs me in a circle...puts me in a 328i loaner and sends me packing saying he will sort it out the best he can. I asked him if its possible the car was stolen considering the SA signed off on the delivery.. he says he cannot assume anything and will get in contact with me.. and suggest i contact MY insurance? MY INSURANCE?

I don't know what to do.. and I'm truly distraught.

*BTW UPDATE IS ABOUT 10 POSTS DOWN*

Last edited by DarkSaloon; 06-27-2008 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Civ95
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi Touring

hmmm... they are obvisouly hiding something from you

perhaps the car was damaged during shipping and they are having a hard time fixing it back to specs or, as you said, it got stolen (in which case I don't see why they would lie to you, obviously they won't get the car back)

my next step would be to contact BMW USA to find out when the dealer got the car, according to their system, and then explain the situation to them

this is very fishy indeed and I can only imagine how depressed I would be in your situation
      06-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

This is what you say to get a fire under your local dealers a$$. Ask the manager what is the number to BMWNA? I want to explain my situation, and very poor customer service I am getting. You then call BMWNA, and do so. This should help speed things up. It seems as if they sold the car or something. I dont understand how it would just up and vanish? Anyway good luck, and sorry to hear about your situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

Very suspicious.

Agreeing with what's above - I would contact BMWNA, and let the dealer know that's what you intend to do. Explain to them the situation, express your concerns about the run-around that you've been given and the fact that the dealer has been very slow in providing you with information and has provided conflicting information. Tell them you need their help in finding your new car.

Regarding the insurance, there's no way that you should have to contact the insurance. The car is not yours yet, you never took delivery of it. If it is still on the dealer's lot, or was lost in transit, it either falls under their insurance or it falls under the shipper's insurance.

I could swear something like this happened to a guy in California. I'll try to find the links to his posts.
      06-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep

Found 'em. It was a guy on BimmerFest who also posts here. Originally, they lost his fob. Then it turned out they lost the car. Then it turned out it was stolen, and used by illegal immigrants as a mule to bring people over the Mexican border. I am not kidding.

Here's the threads:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225786

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226259

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264558

All that is to say, if they aren't being straight with you, get BMWNA involved, and start demanding answers - plus, if you need it, a loaner car in the meantime.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind is that his situation was a little different, because it was a European Delivery re-delivery in the States. So in some cases, yours is even more of a solid case - because you've never had possession of the car.
      06-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
yea man, no way your insurance is involved. all you'd have right now is a downpayment to confirm a legally binding contract that a specific car would be delivered to you. once the keys and the money exchange hands then the car is yours, and only then would your insurance step in.

if you have the VIN# you should get it checked out. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer sold it to someone else instead. Anything's possible, either way you're getting the short end of the stick......you can still lay down a massive beating on these guys with that short stick!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep

Oh yeah, and really sorry to hear about all this. Definitely a downer and a source of stress after all the waiting. I hope they figure it out ASAP for you. Keep us updated.
      06-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
karizma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i cpe, 6spd, mont/sadl

a friend of mine was in a similar situation, ended up being that the dealer sold his car to someone else for a higher price. for that specific reason, i made it a point to explain to my SA that if my car gets sold to someone else there will be hell to pay.

good luck finding your car, or a solution to your missing car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

What does it say on OC? If it still says at the VPC after this long, there may have been some damage in transit. Maybe the dealer knows and they don't want to tell you for fear that you'll reject the car at that point. If OC says at the dealer, maybe it was damaged and at their body shop. Either way, you might want to ask for it in writing that the car wasn't damaged and repaired between the factory and you taking delivery.

All in all sounds like it sucks, sorry to hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
DSXMachina
If I don't get reincarnated I'm screwed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, 6MT, TiAg, Walnut, Saddle

Regarding the insurance, there's no way that you should have to contact the insurance. The car is not yours yet, you never took delivery of it. If it is still on the dealer's lot, or was lost in transit, it either falls under their insurance or it falls under the shipper's insurance.

Megaditto!
It is still their car! The dealership has to know this so why they would suggest you contact your insuror is beyond me. Maybe they meant for you to hold off on getting it insured until they "find" it.
If the car was ED'd (which it wasn't) your insurance policy from Germany covers it until you SIGN for it at the final delivery center (dealership).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSaloon View Post
Hi all,

I don't know what to do.. and I'm truly distraught.

*BTW UPDATE IS ABOUT 10 POSTS DOWN*
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
      06-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
DarkSaloon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 X53.5i

Sorry for the delay in response, and I appreciate all the help and support from this forum as well as BMWNA. Suprisingly, I got a PM from BMWNA asking if I need help, that's what I call service! Now for the bad news...

I got a call from the dealership yesterday morning at about 10 AM stating that whenever I'm available I'm needed at the dealership because they have my car...only that I might want to see if I still want to take it. At this junction, my heart dropped through my chest, and I'm wondering what happened. So i called back and they said that they have located my car with some damage to the front and side of the car!! I told them I would be there in a few minutes to see the car.

So about thirty minutes of getting no work done at work, I decided to take my lunch break and take care of the issue. I got to the dealership and my CA comes and starts to apologize and takes me to the car. As soon as I saw the car I looked at it and just said, this is your problem, I don't want to know what happened, or how it happened. Get me another car ASAP or I will take my business elsewhere. Then the Manager comes and has the nerve to telll me that they will order me a new one, but I have to pay the price increase AS WELL as take the closest car to my specs because they "have no allocation." WTF?!?!?!?!?! I told him to stop joking and get this sorted it out. It's NOT my fault someone damaged my vehicle. I later find out one of the service boys took it out for a joyride when they filled the tank.

I am utterly disgusted. Oh yeh, they wouldn't let me take pictures for fear I'd slander them on the web. :|
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
LesLazz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i convertible

Sorry for all your troubles. I noticed BMWNA posted right above your last post, have you contacted them subsequent to your last visit to your dealership? I am amazed that the dealer is trying to lay blame on everyone - except themselves. And to tell you that you have to pay the higher price and accept a car that is "close" to your specs is outrageous! I would think they would be falling all over themselves to make things right! Like #1: firing the ass that took it for a joyride. #2: If they have no allocation, giving you a car that satisfies your specs at a very deep discount. #3: Apologizing for all the CYA work rather than just telling you what happened in the first place. Honesty goes a long way in my book. I don't think I would take any deal from them until BMWNA gets involved. They may set this problem straight, after all this is a huge forum and they don't like to see this stuff going on any more than we do!

Good luck and keep us updated. I would like to see how this works out.

Leslie

PS - Hey, I'm no lawyer but is it really slander, if it is true?
If he doesn't buy that, tell him (in an assertive but borderline tears voice) "At least you could support me in this one thing. Please don't quell my excitement. Anticipation is half the fun. It wouldn't hurt you to indulge me now and then anyway. If you really loved me, you would support me in this."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Wow, sorry to hear about all your troubles! I have a feeling that BMWNA will make this one right, do keep us posted with any progress!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I think this is the first time time I have ever seen BMWNA reps post on here regarding something like this.

Personally, I would expect BMWNA to work out getting you the right car at no more than the agreed upon price with some type of compensation for the dealerships poor business practices (maybe the Mtech kit for free) and delivered to me by another dealership.

I would also expect them to give the manager of the dealership a good "WTF?" phone call on giving you the run around.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 06-28-2008 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

"BMW NA"

25 posts and they're all the same "I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Sorry, but how do we confirm you're really with BMW? Do you officially sponsor E90post?

BMW and public forums dedicated to BMW have been around for a while. For someone to claim official ties now, there must have been a shift in the policy high up in the hierarchy, and that would be triggered by..... ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #18
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
This is what you say to get a fire under your local dealers a$$. Ask the manager what is the number to BMWNA? I want to explain my situation, and very poor customer service I am getting. You then call BMWNA, and do so. This should help speed things up. It seems as if they sold the car or something. I dont understand how it would just up and vanish? Anyway good luck, and sorry to hear about your situation.
wow where are you located?? want me to rush you a ordered car to your specs?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #19
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

any new info
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep

Wow. Real bummer to hear the news about your car, very sorry.

I would follow up with BMWNA and try to get them to help in this situation. You ordered the car, had an agreed-upon price, and then before delivery their service guy gets into an accident. And now the dealer has the balls to tell you that you have to pay the higher price and that they may not be able to get you the car you want? That's simply unacceptable. I can understand on one hand why you haven't posted the name of the dealership, but I'm sure some of us like to see it.

How did they find the car eventually, did the service tech just ditch it? Again, I'm amazed by this one...
      07-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

I didn't get the dealer's name!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #22
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep