E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > help - screwed up rear shock installation

07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
help - screwed up rear shock installation

I was installing new Koni Yellow (sport) struts and shocks (re-using OEM ZSP springs) and realized I made a mistake with the rear shocks. I completed the front struts, which was time consuming, but went well. The rear shock replacement is a fairly simple and straight forward procedure. However, the problem I ran into was when I began threading the bolt on the bottom of the shock, I was using the original bolt from the OEM shock. It only went on about 3 millimeters when I realized it was way too hard to screw on and something must be wrong. I removed the new shock and looked at it on my bench and realized then that the Koni shocks came with their own lower fastener nuts which were still in the Koni boxes.

So now neither nut will fasten on because that lower portion (roughly 3mm) is stripped. I was thinking I may need to re-thread the threads there on the lower shock and use a matching nut. My other option, if possible, may be to machine that bottom section clean off, where the threads are stripped.

I brought them to a friend's shop who is a mechanic and he said those ideas may not be safe and the best option would be to purchase new shocks. He said the walls will be slightly thinner and the pressure of the shock mount may cause the hole in the suspension arm to grow wider, which could cause a major problem down the road. That's crazy... I really need to get my car back on the road and was hoping my ideas may work.

Any thoughts or advice?
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

I don't remember how much space you have left over after you tighten it but if there is thread left over after the nut is tighten down then you could just cut the threaded part off. Plus you only stripped one right? Ask the place you purchased the shock from if you can exchange it...if not just buy another shock...What is it like 200?
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Get a die and clean up the threads on the shock.
The lower mount point on the arm carries the load.
The nut would only need to work if the shock has failed and has no rebound.

Just re-thread with a die that matches the threads already there.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Get a die and clean up the threads on the shock.
The lower mount point on the arm carries the load.
The nut would only need to work if the shock has failed and has no rebound.

Just re-thread with a die that matches the threads already there.
+1, clean up the threads and install it with proper nut. Bottom threads stick out more than 3 mm IIRC so nut will be using all or mostly undamaged threads once it is all the way on.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
Thanks a lot guys. My neighbor who is an engineer and has a pretty impressive machine shop in his garage helped me. He resorted to using a hand tool called a thread file. He put his magnifying goggles on and proceeded to use the thread file to match the original threads with what I had gotten all out of whack and stripped. It ended up being as good as new and the nuts went on perfectly. That was really the best solution because it didn't change the integrity of the threaded part by making it narrower. I'm glad it worked out and I waited for him to come home. Now I'm cleaning up and will take her out for a test drive.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Glad it worked out, smart neighbors are great. That shop you talked to, maybe don't go there again.
Appreciate 0