E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Golf R Leasedeal

10-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #89
Banners24b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

I am so very tempted by this deal, the cost would be almost the same as my 335i on an annual basis, prob cheaper by the time I factor in servicing and repairs for the BMW.

I just wonder if i'd get bored of the VW though.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #90
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Lets take an extreme example of the used vs. lease in order to illustrate a point.

My wife and I do lots of very short local trips; Gym, Tesco, Sister, Horses etc. so we have a cheap little runabout and only take the nice cars when they get properly warm.

The run-around was a 9 year old Ford KA. We sold it and leased a new one. Here is a comparison between the costs for the new owner and us

9 year old Ford KA
Purchase price £750*
Petrol (10K p.a)£1628
Tax £200
Insurance £220
Repairs £250
Service & MOT £200
Total Year1 £3248 Year 2 £2498

New Ford KA
Deposit £750*
Payments £1548
Petrol (10K p.a.)£1140
Tax £120
Insurance £180
Repairs Warranty
Service £120
Total Year 1 £3858 Year 2 £3108

So the difference between someone buying and running a nine year Ford KA and leasing a new one is ca. £50.00 per month. If the older car requires tyres or any major repairs, then the gap closes

The numbers for a new vs. used BMW are higher but the ratios are similar, in that the older car needs repairs or warranty insurance, wear item replacement, more expensive services and often tyres and typically more money for tax, insurance and fuel.
Your sums work for a car that has very low initial purchase cost, and you have conveniently forgotten to include what year 3-4-5-6 costs are.

The biggest cost of running a 'newish' car is depreciation, followed usually by fuel. The sums you have worked out if for a car that is worth very little, infact if your going to do the whole banger motoring, why on earth would you even bother spending £250 on repairs, and than £170 on servicing (assuming £30 MOT). You can buy a used banger with 12 months MOT for £500, not bother servicing it, and than just buying another £500 when it brakes...Doing that would cost you £2570 per year, assuming a 'new' £500 car every year

Why you would want to do that is whole different matter

As people have pointed out many times, there is no 'cheap' way to buy/run a new car, the Golf R deal is very good, but its still spending £6k on finance payments over 2 years, at the end of which your need to find another car. If your really financially savvy, the last thing your spend your money on is a car

If your really been sensible with money your simply buy a half decent reliable car and run it till it brakes....We bought our diesel Civic nearly 7 years ago now for £13.5K, it was a pre-reg got more toys in than the BMW (and a better sat nav/sound system), its now coming up to 90K, apart from a new battery and regular servicing items its not need a £ extra spending on it....and its still worth £5K from WBAC. I recently worked out including ALL costs...thats depreciation, fuel, insurance, servicing etc, if we were to px/sell the Civic today for £4.5K it will have cost us £120/months all in If we had gone done the lease/pcp deal we will have spent easily double that by having to change cars 2-3 times, along with 2-3 lots of *deposits*.

But actually this a car forum, and the topic is about a Golf R....so do anyone here really care that much about sensible running costs??!

Running costs of my 335i is FIVE (x5 ) time/months more than our Civic despite it doing about 1/3 the millage, but my wife has now got use to driving the 335, and likes the extra power/comfort....So we're now planning on changing cars soon....Have a guess which car is going, the sensible/economical/practical Honda, or the thirsty/un-reliable/ and surprisingly small booted BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #91
russdx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG

the words sensible running costs and BMW

DO NOT BELONG TOGETHER! lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #92
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
But actually this a car forum, and the topic is about a Golf R....so do anyone here really care that much about sensible running costs??!
I wish that was true

Everyone is concerned with running costs to some degree, unless they have truly exceptional circumstances.

The cost of these Golf R deals made me accurately calculate the running costs for my e90 over the past 29 months, just out of interest (I thought it was under £100/month but that was wishful thinking):

£112/month exc fuel/insurance/tax (but including all other costs: servicing, MOTs, replacement battery, replacement DSC unit, diagnosis work, new windscreen (excess), new pads and discs, plus £2500 for depreciation worst case.).
or
£207.44 inc when I include fuel/insurance/tax too.

Yes it means I’ve got £££ tied up in an asset which I wouldn’t have with a lease deal, but £112 for a 7-yr old 330i vs £275 for a new Golf R (when you include the initial Golf payment) is a no-brainer for me. I will need tyres in the next 2 years but I don’t expect my cost/month to increase at all as depreciation slows down.

F**k me, how boring a post was that?
      10-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #93
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

God that was some boring shit. good info Ally, Those costs are very reasonable although leaving VED out is a bit cheeky.

On 2 of the 4 BMWs i've owned i've had a four figure bill for a repair. I had a timing chain go on a 1 series producing a £2500 bill and I had some mystery loss of power thing on my recent 125d which threw up a £1400 bill.

The first car was bought used and was 1 week past it's AUC warranty when that happened. I got lucky as I knew a DP in the network that owned the BMW franchise and he arranged getting it covered by good will, he also got us a courtesy car for the duration of the repair.

The 125d repair was on a 1 year old car so fully covered. Point being, £110pm to run something like a 330i is brilliant. but you are only ever one "bong of expense" away from it possibly doubling your costs (although probably not with a 330i as they are pretty damn reliable).

I don't care about having the latest reg or even getting a brand new car ever couple of years. I do like to know exactly what something is going to cost me though and i absolutely despise spending extra money on a car when it doesn't make it go faster or look better or go round corners better. I also value my own time highly and have never enjoyed being without the car and no courtesy car while it gets fixed. Sure you can add AA cover and warranty and all that to a used car but the later is often full of loop holes, with exclusions for age, turbos etc. Plus it also means yet more farting about spending time getting good deals.

I guess I'm happy to pay a little more for convenience. I fully understand that i don't need nor will i often be able to use 300bhp to pick the shopping up. it's available, affordable and convenient so i'll have it. There is no right or wrong when you're cursed with being a petrol head, there's only a varying scale of how quickly you throw money away.
      10-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #94
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

I have not been so lucky with my E90 it seems.
Before I signed up for the lease, I worked out the costs for mine.

Total cost per month over the last 28 months excluding insurance & fuel is £232.
That's assuming I can get £6000 for it. Autotrader rekons £6.2k but then WBAC is £5.5k.

Car is at the garage today for injector work, if Im lucky ill get away with £800. More likely closer to £1000.

This is why a lease deal is appealing. A known cost upfront. Espically where I have included maintance.
I know exactly what the car will cost me every month. No surprises.

So as above, I am prepared to pay a little more for that peace of mind.

No dought a second hand car will be cheaper, but it seems you need a certain amount of luck on your side along with a decent garage.
The second bit is what I cant seem to find. In all the repairs/serving I have had done over the last 28 months, I must have visited 10 or more different garages.
Never quiet finding one that makes me rush back.
Looking forward to no longer having to search and ring round the houses any-time something goes wrong.

Will see if my outlook on leasing changes once I have actually had one!
In theory, I am all on board.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #95
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Any time I've had a look at lease deals, there is rarely anything that takes my interest.

Anything that I think is a suitable change/upgrade from a 335i costs a fortune apart from the very rare special offer.

The Golf R is a good car and the deal is very good, but people are only leasing it because it is cheap. It's not a car they would actually consider otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #96
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Yeah, you need to be flexible. But then again you need to be flexible on spec, colour etc even when buying used. The only time you don't is when you have unlimited funds and are factory ordering.

If I was buying a new car at £30k with my own cash I don't know if I'd pick the R. I'd definitely take a look at it but not sure what else for the price suits me better. Then of course there is the fact that it's "the best hot hatch ever" of course, that is if you believe everything you read.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/bes...hes-2014-09-17
      10-24-2014, 02:48 AM   #97
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
This is why a lease deal is appealing. A known cost upfront. Espically where I have included maintance.
I know exactly what the car will cost me every month. No surprises.
With a new car, you wouldn't really need a maintenance package.

On 10k miles a year I would think that you you'll need no more than 1 service in 2 years, no need for any tyres and brakes - although you may on a Golf R I guess - and anything else that breaks or goes wrong would be under manufacturer warranty anyway.

Nobody ever buys a maintenance package on a second hand car, and thats when your more likely to need it so you definitely dont need it on a new car.
Obviously you can buy a warranty, but thats different, and only seems to be needed by BMW owners anyway!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #98
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Good point...
May cancel off the maintenance if I can.

Do like the idea of 0 cost. But like you say, probably have minimal costs anyway.

Will look into what an R costs to service over 20k.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #99
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

I didn't take out the maintenance package as really you're only spreading the cost (Ie no real savings)...... unless you're unlucky enough to get a puncture but I'll be getting a part worn off eBay if I do!

Paid my doc fee today.... count down begins
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 04:06 AM   #100
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

We need to build a waiting room for us all. I've been told first week in march but I'm preparing for mid April.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #101
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
We need to build a waiting room for us all. I've been told first week in march but I'm preparing for mid April.
It's gonna be a long wait! I still can't believe this deal.... I just hope they fulfill the orders!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #102
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
It's gonna be a long wait! I still can't believe this deal.... I just hope they fulfill the orders!
Second that!

Before I signed on the line I hadn't even done much reading on the R nor seen one for real.

Been reading some reviews now and saw a couple in the flesh. Very excited now!

Hoping VW does fulfil the orders. Got an SLI number, but not sure that holds much value till the car arrives!

Changed my deal to non-maintained now too. Will save the £25pcm instead to pay for the 1 service ~10k
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #103
Banners24b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

Will have to get the mods to create a "Golf R " section on the forum at this rate
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #104
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Build tracking number received..... exciting!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #105
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Just noticed that the offers have ended and there's been a bit of a price hike. Not massive but cheapest has went from £180 to £215 and the deposit has risen accordingly.
      10-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #106
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Just noticed that the offers have ended and there's been a bit of a price hike. Not massive but cheapest has went from £180 to £215 and the deposit has risen accordingly.
Looks like the deal has ended - it's now £430 a month with CVL for the 3dr manual....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 02:39 AM   #107
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

I think CVL are having trouble deciding what price to offer. A 5dr DSG is £215pm yet a 3dr manual is £429pm.
      11-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #108
Marshall878
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325D

i want one so bad

Look at the way this launches!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #109
strell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow I can't wait for mine to come. That launch is insane!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #110
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

To be fair there is a lot more to a car that launching it off the line.

It will be interesting to see how long the transmission holds up to the people that try it often enough.

How much to replace the clutches in the DSG boxes?
Appreciate 0