E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Park Position Indicator Light Won't Go Out!!

02-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Edluver
Rep
Drives: '06 330Xi

Park Position Indicator Light Won't Go Out!!

Okay, so I'm driving home this evening and as I'm merging onto the highway, I punch it while changing lanes. I don't floor it into kick down mode or anything, just step into it about 75%. When I do, it feels like the transmission does a double shift or something where it jumps down a gear then jumps down another one. I was doing about 35 mph when it happened. For a minute I thought it was the x-drive adjusting the power ratios, since it was raining and I thought I might have lost traction. So, the trans slams into the right gear and off I go. I tried to reproduce this later down the road but everything was working fine.

No problems until I get home. I shut her down and notice that the light indicating that the trans is in park position stays on. I started the engine again and cycled through the gears but the thing won't go off. Its been like 20 minutes and the dang thing is still on - no other lights, just that stupid little orange light blaring away in the darkness. I can even see it from my window!

So, is this some kind of warning thing that indicates a fault code or something? Do I need to reset the trans?

Any explanation or remedy would greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
IOICRMN
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 325xi

What did you learn about the parking indicator light problem?

Hi Edluv, my 2001 325Xi just developed the same parking indicator issue yesterday, but without any noticeable cause preceding the development. Have you learned anything in the year since? Have you managed to turn yours off?

Thanks, I'd love to hear from you! (Since I'm a new member, I can't PM you.)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
orlstunt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i e90

what was the issue?

did you ever figuire out why the LED stayed on? Mine is doing the same thing and my dealership is baffled.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Pig Iron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328

any resolution?

Did anybody have a resolution for this? Only thing in common with the original post for me is this happened on a rainy day.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I believe it always stays on. I thought it was normal.
      01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
mcpcolas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 montego blue 335i xdrive

Lol funny thread, it's totally normal it stays on for a good 20 minutes until the car computer fully goes to sleep. If u were to check back on the car half an hour later it would be off
Appreciate 0