E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The 'Admit It You've Done This Sort Of Stupid Thing' Thread

09-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

My dad is the king of this stuff, purely because he is doing so many projects all the time and is always rushing between things. The best one I experienced was a couple years ago when we were out camping in a rental RV. We get to the site with a bit less than 1/4 of a tank left, which was no problem. A day or two later the rest of our group arrives with a big water tank, so the old man goes to refill the water in the RV even though it was still half full. Trip resumed...
A couple days later we are all packing up camp to leave, and lo and behold the rental RV would not start. Just cranked and cranked and cranked and made some interesting noises. The entire group of amateur engineers checked all the usual things over and over and couldn't figure it out...
Eventually he came to the realization, he had dumped the water into the fuel tank. Yes, water into the fuel tank. I have no idea how this is even possible for anyone to do, you would have to be seriously dense. Needless to say that was an expensive bill from the rental outfit...
It's the classic running joke in our family now.
Appreciate 4
Tim603482.50
whyzee1251669.50
      09-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #24
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

When I was way younger my first car was a VW Scirocco. I thought it would be great if my dash lights were brighter( before l.e.d). I got this bright idea to jump the dimmer. It worked great for about 1min. then my dash started to smoke. I quickly shut off the car and disconnected the battery.
Went under the dash and replaced some wires, all was good except for the smell of burnt wires for a month.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 02:55 AM   #25
abrad2912
Rep
Drives: Lci 335i

Oh where to start. On my Honda (first car)on the way work I discovered a crazy terrifying shake. When I got to work (about 5 miles) I realized I left my lug nuts hand tight from a quick wheel swap after school. Same car the amp for my super awesome sound system wouldn't turn on with my radios remote. So simply jumped the 12v from the power. Came out of school the next day to a cloud of smoke and a melted remote wire. With my Subaru Legacy Spec. B, I needed to change brake pads real quick before an autox, which I completed in record time(about 15 minutes). The first stop, the car made some awful grinding noise. A quick inspection revealed I had put a rear pad on backwards. On my 540i was in the middle of an oil change when a friend asked for a ride downtown to pick up some parts. So I quickly dropped in the new filter, put in my oil and set off. We received a phone call about a minute after we got the parts that my car had left a CAR sized oil spot on the parking lot. When i got home and shut it off the remainder of the oil came out. Helps if you put the drain plug back in. I have come to realize there is no "I'll get it done really quick" when it comes to cars. I plan weekends for maintenance or mods now. Also never rush to get that first drive in, its never satisfying in my experience.
Appreciate 4
      09-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #26
thaar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x-drive MHD

Was replacing rear rotors and pads on a weekend. Had everything off after wailing on the rear rotors for way too long. Went to grab the new rotors, and realized I had only ordered one, and the old ones were beat to sh!t. Fortunately, it was a Saturday and the dealership was open, but I ended up paying way too much for a new set since they needed to match. Felt like an idiot that day...
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #27
TxFisherman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Great Thread. I think this type of thing was instilled upon me by my father. He once told to to fix the light bulb in a radio on a 74 grenada. After wasting the day getting the beast out found that it never had a bulb or a even a place to put one. This later became an obsession with lights I am sure and decided to fix many years later dash lights on a 78 malibu. Green board was shot and decided to just place clear Christmas lights behind the dash to make up for it. Wow those were the days. lol
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #28
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

Just remembered another.

Did my brakes and rotors the very first week I got the car up to Jersey from FL. A friend of mine has one of those great air-driven scissor lifts. Pulls it out into the driveway cause my car's kinda bulky for his garage. All four corners in the air, what a breeze this thing makes a brake job. He and another friend do the left side of the car and I do the right, "This is gonna go so quick!" Things went alright - rotors were seized on there pretty tight but not too bad. At some point he got to the rears and I disengaged the e-brake for him in a goldfish-brained sort of way. I kinda worked on both front and rear at once for some reason. They finished their side, I remembered I had angel eyes I might as well put in while the wheel wells are right there. So now it's 1am on a Monday night and we're all done, but it definitely took longer than we thought it would and we're tired (remember when you were 18 years old bouncing around in a 7-11 parking lot at 1am? All the dads please join me in mourning). We put the car down and the whole car starts rolling toward the garage. Three of us "oh shit e-brake e-brake shit shit shit" grabbing at parts of the car trying to stop it, we did with literally 1/2 an inch to spare.
Appreciate 4
      09-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #29
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640i M-Sport GC

On my first 328, I was replacing the top windshield seal. Just barely got under the windshield itself with a small flathead...... got me 2 huge cracks and a new windshield.

On my second 328, I was installing a catback that didn't come properly flared at the end to slip over the other pipe. It was about midnight, I was tired, frustrated, and thought I could pry it open enough with some big pliers. Bottom of the pipe slipped on the floor and smacked me in the ankle resulting in a lot of blood, 5 stitches, a $200 ER bill, and a nice scar with a very strange sensation down my foot if you touch it. The next day I was at the muffler shop getting it welded on like I should've done in the first place. Driving it there with no resonator or muffler was fun though.

Last edited by CoffeeBean; 10-04-2016 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #30
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Did an oil change and when all was buttoned up and thinking how resourceful I am, I noticed I still had the new oil filter and the old filter too! I was thinking, hhhm so I had a spare filter after all........but sure enough, I forgot to install the new filter! Fortunately, I had not yet started the car up.

And, I won't forget the time I did not put back the oil fill cup on our X5. Wife went to work and called back that car's making a funny sound. I think I had a feeling what was amiss and told her to park on the road side. I went to check and, lo and behold, there was oil everywhere in the engine compartment. Fortunately, only about 1.5 quarts was lost as my wife had the presence of mind not to keep driving.

Last edited by musa; 09-28-2016 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #31
mex2309
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Did rear shock absorbers and when I finally tightened them I over-torqued and sheared the shaft thread right off the body(face palm)
I did rear shocks too, but I forgot to torque under load. After everything was put back together on the the test drive the rear squeaked like crazy.

This one is better. I did the front shocks too. However I installed the front shock on the left and vice versa. About 3rd drive that day I heard a loud BOOM.
One of the end links just sheared off. NEVER doing suspension work again.
      09-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #32
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex2309 View Post
I did rear shocks too, but I forgot to torque under load. After everything was put back together on the the test drive the rear squeaked like crazy.

This one is better. I did the front shocks too. However I installed the front shock on the left and vice versa. About 3rd drive that day I heard a loud BOOM.
One of the end links just sheared off. NEVER doing suspension work again.
LOL don't give up! I hate suspension work too. After being quoted $200 to replace front control arms and not knowing it was actually the bargain of the century, I tackled it myself, without air tools. 12 hours of smashin' bashin' fun, and still couldn't get the ball joints out.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #33
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wink

Oh, I just remembered another one that was hilarious. I installed the front axle control arms upside down! The tire rims were scrubbing against the control arms and the steering would turn like only about 30 degrees - dangerous. I was sure I had somehow messed up the steering as I had removed the rack while dropping the subframe to change the oil pan gasket. Took the car to the dealership out of frustration and swearing turning wrenches is not for me. They and said I had simply installed the control arms upside down. They also said they found a flashlight in the undercarriage - it was still on

The lesson I've learned after committing these errors is to never rush to do a job. Take it easy, rest, have enough sleep, do your home work, etc.

Last edited by musa; 09-29-2016 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251669.50
Team503125.00
      09-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #34
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

damn, I thought I was bad. some people here just need to stop... lol good stories, keep em coming!
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251669.50
      09-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #35
jjbmuu
4ut0strd4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW E92 335i 6 Speed

Yeah just stopping in here to say that I'm pretty much perfect and have never managed to screw up in my life working on a car lmao..

But seriously though yeah shit happens! I can't remember anything too serious, but working as a tech at a BMW dealership. I left the coolant expansion tank cap off on a car which was lifted in the air after topping it off and running so that I could look for an issue the car had undeneith. Needless to say after about 10 minutes the thermostat opened and the car had turned into a fountain. Nothing happened, but having to lower the car slowly on a lift was priceless to watch so I could turn it off. Unless you have worked as a tech at a dealership you wouldn't believe the funny stuff that goes on. I loved it while I was there.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #36
cwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 e92

Awesome thread I know I have done my share will post when I can remember a good one .
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #37
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilicboris
Removed bumper to install intercooler. Reinstalled bumper afterwards after deciding to return FMIC. Forgot to put the screws back in connecting the front fender liner to the bumper. Wheels totally chewed up both fender liners as I drove. Passenger side was worse so I only ordered one replacement.
Holy shit
      10-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #38
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Hmm let's see...Doing my first brake and rotor job ever on my old 330 years ago I attempted to torque the rear rotor bolt to the same specs as the front and popped the head right off. It's a big bolt. A tech at the dealership even asked how the F I managed to break it.

Then after I completed the job I thought it would be a good idea to immediately test out the new brakes and rotors to make sure they work and after 5 minutes of slamming on the brakes hard I noticed in my rearview a trail of smoke hazing the neighborhood.

Oh, and I had parking brake engaged during the brake job and it didn't work properly after that point.
      10-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #39
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Just wanted to say I've done the wheel chock thing and the didn't torque the wheel bolts thing. Nice to not be the only one!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 1
Team503125.00
      10-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #40
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

I finished suspension install on a '67 chevelle. Aftermarket set up and it lowered the car. Put some wheels on that were a little too small in profile. Buddy comes over for the first drive. It looked a little low but seemed OK. The road transition from gravel to asphalt had a hump. Roll up on it real slow and.....SCRAPE...SCREETCH....GRIND! Stop and get out to see oil pouring out and the drain plug sitting on the ground. The plug got spun out by the road. K turned and drove back to my house leaving a giant oil spill in my neighbors parking spot. Oil stain was there for years. 8qts.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #41
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep

Put some aluminum wheels on with covered lug nuts. Leaving house I hear a rattle. Stop and pull on wheels and everything seems fine. Get on the main road and give it some gas.....BANG.....SCRAPE!!! Pull off at first side street and get out to see NO rear wheel. WTF!!! Turn toward road and here it comes. Wheel hops curb and lands in yard where I was parked. Lug nuts and wheel studs still inside the cover. This prompted buying aftermarket axles with better wheel studs.
And of course the wheel folded up the quarter panel I had just installed.

Last edited by 08njSTEP; 10-01-2016 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #42
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep

Pulled engine off stand and had it hanging from hoist. Went to attach flex plate. My buddy says,"grab that air gun". Zipp..zipp..zipp..ZING!! Snapped the head right off. ARP bolts too. Ended the work that evening.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #43
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, no more funny stories? No one's perfect......
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #44
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Hey guys, no more funny stories? No one's perfect......
I hope none of these guys work at American or Delta.
Appreciate 0