E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > BMS Short Shifter

01-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMS Short Shifter

http://burgertuning.com/short_shifte...5_335_535.html

I know it says that its not for XI, but has anyone ever actually tried it? Searched all over and it seems like its the UUC or just an OEM short shift rod or 330 one since it was shorter. When it first came out guys at BMS basically just said its not for XI cuz they never tried it so they werent sure if it would fit. Spending almost triple on the UUC shifter just seems silly if this one would work.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Well we sell the Shifteck Shifter, which is what BMS sells. BMS just put their name on it.

That being said, Shifteck tells us it does not fit Xi also.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
NocturnalEVO
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Is the BMS one really this clunky? (i know its an e82, but can't be that far off)

'06 R6 Anniversary Edition (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Well we sell the Shifteck Shifter, which is what BMS sells. BMS just put their name on it.

That being said, Shifteck tells us it does not fit Xi also.
Is it just the angle of the shift rod or will it actually not fit? The only thing i can find is basically saying we dont know cuz we never tried. I was hoping someone at least attempted to see if it would fit or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO View Post
Is the BMS one really this clunky? (i know its an e82, but can't be that far off)

I wouldnt doubt its pretty close to that. Hard to say off a video like that though when its such a feel thing. my friend has a 135i and the effort needed to shift his stock m-package one was higher than mine for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Bent_remy
Enemy of viscosity and thermal breakdown
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E93 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquehawk5 View Post
Is it just the angle of the shift rod or will it actually not fit? The only thing i can find is basically saying we dont know cuz we never tried. I was hoping someone at least attempted to see if it would fit or not.
Somebody's got to be the first. For $129 might as well be you. If it works write it up, if not sell it. Inquiring minds wanna know.

01-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent_remy View Post
Somebody's got to be the first. For $129 might as well be you. If it works write it up, if not sell it. Inquiring minds wanna know.

i was considering it.....if i do i will be sure to report back what i find. thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
LaxIan55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquehawk5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent_remy View Post

i was considering it.....if i do i will be sure to report back what i find. thanks guys
Curious as well. If it doesn't fit why not? Can make an alteration to get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #9
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

I'm in for more info on this!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106829

i actually ended up going with this after talking through it with a friend. Both our concerns were if it would be too notchy for a daily driver. we were trying to find a happy medium of shorter shifts and slightly increased effort (i have a ZHP knob already) but not be too mechanical for lazy drives to work in the morning. I also got a new cup to try and tighten it up as much as possible. If this doesnt work as good as we hope i will be getting the BMS shifter and seeing if its possible to make it work somehow. Sorry for the disappointment guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

I wouldn't call it earth shattering different, but it's worth every penny. Definitely agree with everything you read, this is how the car should have come from factory. Shifts are slightly heavier, definitely shorter although not overly short, just perfect for a spirited DD. Install literally takes 20 mins start to finish and is all done from the cabin just as the DIY says.

One thing I did notice however is when people talk about there being play/slop in the shifter I think what they are noticing is the bushings that are in the shift rod (carriage) that the shift lever is installed into. Any movement I saw once I had everything apart was in that part itself not the actual shift lever. If you want to tighten this up you would have to drop the transfer case to get at it and replace bushings or come up with a poly bushing setup to take the slop out. I'm sure this was done to reduce vibration and chance of fatigue failure. Since this is the case I'm not sure how much the Bms or uuc shifter setups really are much better since they involve no change to the shifter rod or those bushings.

All in all I think this is a great option to upgrade the shifter quickly and cheaply and full OEM.
Appreciate 0