E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWR radiator

02-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #89
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

so will you guys be making an external AT trans cooler too?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #90
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo123 View Post
Pm price shipped to the netherlands, Amsterdam
Hey rismo123,

PM sent with shipping estimate.

Cheers,

Justin.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #91
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
so will you guys be making an external AT trans cooler too?
Hey mate,

we have already looked at that option and is quite doable.

However much like our oil cooler kits, the components we would be using are all of a very high quality, which means the kit will cost a few bucks.

Out of curiosity how much would you be prepared to pay for an external trans cooler, that is fitted with a thermatic fan and connected in series with the OE heat exchanger?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #92
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey mate,

we have already looked at that option and is quite doable.

However much like our oil cooler kits, the components we would be using are all of a very high quality, which means the kit will cost a few bucks.

Out of curiosity how much would you be prepared to pay for an external trans cooler, that is fitted with a thermatic fan and connected in series with the OE heat exchanger?
I guess it depends on how well it works. If adding the cooler ment that i don't need to pay Level 10 to rebuild the whole tranny for $4,000 than I'd be willing to pay around $1000...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #93
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I guess it depends on how well it works. If adding the cooler ment that i don't need to pay Level 10 to rebuild the whole tranny for $4,000 than I'd be willing to pay around $1000...
That is a very sensible way to look at it.

I will have a chat with Pete today and pass on your thoughts.

Truth be told we were initially working on a rough price estimate of $1,000 or a bit less.

If there is definite interest in a high quality kit at that price point, we will certainly be more encouraged to put time and money into R&D.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #94
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a very sensible way to look at it.

I will have a chat with Pete today and pass on your thoughts.

Truth be told we were initially working on a rough price estimate of $1,000 or a bit less.

If there is definite interest in a high quality kit at that price point, we will certainly be more encouraged to put time and money into R&D.

Cheers,

JD.
Cool How would the cooler work exactly? Would it just aid the radiator in cooling the transmission or would the tranny cooler work by itself?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #95
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
What kills the trannies in the first place? Just the heat?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #96
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Cool How would the cooler work exactly? Would it just aid the radiator in cooling the transmission or would the tranny cooler work by itself?
Hey mate,

the radiator reduces the temperature of the water before flowing through the trans cooler heat exchanger, which in turn aids in the reduction of transmission fluid temps, as the heat sink transfers heat from the fluid.

The trans cooler we have in mind will be connected in series with the OE heat exchanger and will see the transmission fluid flow through the core post heat exchanger, prior to returning to the transmission.

We could most definitely do a stand alone trans cooler but that would require modification to the OE rad', coolant hoses and transmission fluid line, thereby precluding the kit from the DIY guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #97
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Stable transmission fluid temps are critical to the correct operation of the multi-plate clutch packs in the transmission.

If the transmission is running outside of its optimal temp, the clutch packs can slip or flare on gear changes, which in turn generates more heat within the tranny and exacerbates the problem.

Poor quality transmission fluid, or fluid that is beginning to break down as a result of excessive service length or heat can also cause clutch pack slippage.

However whilst stable operating temps and high quality fluid are critical to AT serviceability, they still have a torque threshold where the clutch packs will slip regardless of running temperatures or the condition of the transmission fluid.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-03-2012 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #98
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey gents,

I have supplied PWR with my OE MT rad' and the relevant OE AT coolant components.

I will have an update for you all early next week, after PWR have had a chance to asses the design requirements.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #99
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hi guys,

given that the AT rad' for the N54 loses approximately 12% of its frontal surface area for the purposes of transmission cooling, the Tech' at PWR recommended the use of their "Close Mesh Core Configuration", for vehicles that are not daily driven or for owners that live in a cooler climate.

The core upgrade adds an additional $165 to the cost of the rad', however I am told that pricing can be reduced as part of the GB, pending the total number of units ordered.

FYI,

the MT 5970 rad' can also be ordered with the core upgrade, for those guys wishing to maximise cooling efficiency at the race track.

Here are two cross-sectional pics illustrating the difference in core construction between the standard core and the "Close Mesh" option on the right.

Cheers,

Justin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #100
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Interesting fo the manual 5970. how huch would that come to, with the close mesh core?
      03-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #101
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Hi guys,

given that the AT rad' for the N54 loses approximately 12% of its frontal surface area for the purposes of transmission cooling, the Tech' at PWR recommended the use of their "Close Mesh Core Configuration", for vehicles that are not daily driven or for owners that live in a cooler climate.
I understand that the close mesh configuration helped cooling so that more heat can be evacuated due to the larger surface area available for cooling.

Why would this design then be particularly interesting for those who are living in colder climates where less (and not more) cooling is needed?

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #102
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I understand that the close mesh configuration helped cooling so that more heat can be evacuated due to the larger surface area available for cooling.

Why would this design then be particularly interesting for those who are living in colder climates where less (and not more) cooling is needed?

Alpina_B3_Lux
Hey Alpina,

when I recommended the core upgrade for vehicles "that are not daily driven or for owners that live in a cooler climate", this was in reference to the reduced airflow you are likely to see through the denser "Close Mesh Core Configuration" at low air speeds.

For vehicles that are in stop-go traffic or warmer climates, I was told it's quite possible you will see higher water temps, with the use of PWR's core upgrade in daily driving due to airflow restrictions, than you otherwise would with their standard core. In a cooler climate with significantly lower ambient temps, there would be less thermal load on the cooling system, so airflow through the rad' would not be as much of a concern.

However on the race track where you have maximum air speed and thereby full penetration of air through the densely finned 42 mm core, heat transfer properties are much improved over their standard core.

This is where the "Close Mesh Core Configuration" comes into its own, as under the extreme driving conditions of the racetrack, the thermal load on the cooling system will be further reduced, due to the higher efficiency of PWR's core upgrade.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #103
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense to me now.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #104
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Interesting fo the manual 5970. how huch would that come to, with the close mesh core?
Hey Ken,

I have been quoted $165 for the core upgrade.

That may come down in price a bit, pending the final order quantity.

But at this stage you would be looking at a total of $960.00 for the PWR MT 5970 radiator, with the "Close Mesh Core Configuration" upgrade.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #105
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita
bump for updates

Hey enrita,

did I say "early" next week, I think I meant late, lol.

Anyway,

I have both good and bad news for all you AT drivers.

The good news is that PWR are ready to produce a "direct fitment" radiator, that will substantially outperform the heat transfer capability of the BMW OE unit.

Pending its final design it may also improve the efficiency of the AT heat exchanger.

The bad news is that will cost quite a bit more than their currently available MT 5970 unit.

I have been in correspondence with a knowledgable PWR rep' over the last 4 weeks.

Following several conversations between the rep' and one of their engineers over the last week, I am told that due to efficiency concerns, they are not prepared to produce an AT fitment radiator, unless it incorporates their "Close Mesh Core Configuration".

Unfortunately this adds $165 to the cost of the rad' straight up.

The addition of the machined billet aluminium fittings, required for the hose connections associated with the AT heat exchanger and the inclusion of a cross-flow baffle in the end tanks, also substantially increases the fabrication costs.

As such I am sorry to say, but we have to revise the purchase price of the AT radiator.

The group buy pricing for the Advan Performance/PWR "custom build" AT radiator is now $1,245.00, exclusive of shipping.

I can appreciate that this is an additional $450 on top of the MT 5970 unit we are selling.

However please remember this is NOT a currently available item from the PWR catalogue.

It's being custom built by PWR, exclusively for Advan Perfomance and PWR charges accordingly for a "custom build" radiator.

Whist I can very much appreciate that many potential customers will now bork at the final cost, I am sorry to say that in this instance, "it costs what it costs".

Peter and I can simply not sell it for any less, as the margin between our trade price and retail is small enough, without even considering the substantial R&D time, that has gone into getting the project to this stage.

That being said the heat transfer capabilities of our PWR AT radiator will far exceed that of the BMW OE rad' and Advan will guarantee that it's a "direct fitment" unit.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #106
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

ok thanks for the update!
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #107
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
and your foot
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #108
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
ok thanks for the update!
Sure enrita,

no problem at all.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #109
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
and your foot
Yes,

that is most definitely the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #110
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hi Gents,

just a quick update to remind you of the pricing structure of our radiators and to let you know where we are at numbers wise, for the GB to go ahead.

- The PWR 5970 MT radiator will be available for $795.00

- The Advan/PWR "Custom Build" AT radiator will be available for $1,245.00

Please note that the above pricing is exclusive of shipment.

We require a minimum of 5 purchasers to be able to offer the above pricing.

1. Alpina_B3_Lux (5970 MT)

2. TimMc (5970 MT)

Please PM me with your expression of interest or simply post in this thread.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-15-2012 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0