E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Power steering issue- works when it is raining out?!

03-31-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Power steering issue- works when it is raining out?!

Hey guys,

Recently my power steering started to act up- it is super stiff as if there is no assist. The other day when it was raining out, the steering came back- so I figured that a belt and belt tensioner would solve that issue.

Nope.

I had my belt and tensioner done at the same time as my valve cover gasket (it needed it anyway, it's been almost 80k miles) but the problem persists.

Any ideas? It is supposed to rain thursday, it will be interesting to see if it comes back again.

* The fluid is relatively fresh- I do the turkey baster method every oil change.
      04-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #2
ellinara
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i/08 R56 Cooper S

I would try doing a power steering flush. My power steering was moaning badly and my engine was not running smoothly. After I performed the flush, my steering was smoother and consistent, there was no stuttering from the engine and my fuel economy increased dramatically. No guarantees but it might be worth a shot considering the cost of a new pump or power steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
My shop put a steering shaft in an '07 e90 the other day. One of the universal joints was bad. I've noticed that these can feel tighter with change in temp when they are bad. Best way to check easily is to see if it gets tighter and then looser when it reaches a certain spot. For instance, it feels tight at the 2oclock position and then feels looser at the 3oclock position. It can definitely feel like a pump or fluid issue, but is actually in the shaft.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
My shop put a steering shaft in an '07 e90 the other day. One of the universal joints was bad. I've noticed that these can feel tighter with change in temp when they are bad. Best way to check easily is to see if it gets tighter and then looser when it reaches a certain spot. For instance, it feels tight at the 2oclock position and then feels looser at the 3oclock position. It can definitely feel like a pump or fluid issue, but is actually in the shaft.
Thanks, will check!
      04-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Some penetrating oil on the lower u joint solved the problem (for now) But I am happy to know it will be a simple and not that pricey of a fix.
      04-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace
Quote:

Some penetrating oil on the lower u joint solved the problem (for now) But I am happy to know it will be a simple and not that pricey of a fix.
Nice, glad you could pinpoint it. Don't put it off for to long tho
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0