E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

08-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #1189
vnanh9x1
Registered
Rep
Drives: good

When I hold the brake for a few seconds before pressing the button I dont get long cranks. Also, when I press the brake I hear something 'warming' up.

http://www.friv4.org.in
http://www.friv2ol.com
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #1190
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewill0360
Hi guys i have a 328i 07 i install Bms Powerbox on it and start the car since that day my car been revving up and down by itself some times its start and shut down right away took it to the stealer dealer and got told it was the throttle body and the dmtl pump...

ok i replace the throttle body my self since they say it was going to be 1k
and nothing the problem continues the dmtl they say is bad because check engine light is on and is not because is bad is because i did a run with out air intake on....

i dont know what else to think of could it be the HPFP??
Dunno if you ever figured it out but 1: you don't have a hpfp and 2: I highly doubt the dmtl pump is the cause of your problem. It's only function is to pressurize the gas tank and check for evap leaks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #1191
gigadeath714
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

HPFP

My HPFP just went out I have an 07' E92 coupe and the odometer had just hit 50,043 miles. I took it to my local mechanic who read the codes as low pressure on the fuel pump, told me it was under warranty, he recomended that they replace the module switch on the fuel rail too as its a part of the entire system. Kuddo's to Steve Kulima @ Westcoast Autobahn in Orange, CA! I went to my local dealer at Crevier BMW and told them that my local guy diagnosed the HPFP. The BMW service advisor Dale was a good dude and said he would get back to me later that day or the following. Sure enough it was the HPFP which currently has a 10 year or, 120k mile warranty, however he said the switch on the fuel rail was not covered so I paid the $145 for the switch and now I'm back on the streets. I have noticed the new FP seems a bit sluggish from my older one, not sure if anyone has felt the same since theirs' were replaced or not but I just thought I would share mine. Also, Im not entirely sure what the warranty is on the new HPFP that they just replaced?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #1192
ChrisForPresident
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
70k, just got her a month ago and this was my first "hard drive".... 1/2 engine. Pull the code, HPFP. So, just call the dealership on Monday, tell them I had a 1/2 engine with HPFP code? I know its covered until 120k right? At least, I attempted to read the thread before commenting...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #1193
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

it looks like my HPFP is on the way out, im getting code cc-id 29. Im gonna take in to get it checked out, we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #1194
j_mendieta
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

wasap everyone..

im new to this forum.. i had my 07 335i w/ 114000 miles for about 2 weeks. service enginesoon light and half engine light came on after heavy acceleration on the fwy on ramp..

codes p3090 and p142e came up.
loss of power (i assume limp mode)
engine fan is also on high.
some hesitation and rough idle at cold start this morning.

ive searched around and nones mentioned engine fan turning on...

sound like hpfp issue?

thanx
-jason

pls help me 9092748689
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #1195
xcxxr335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black e93 N54

2011?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #1196
bootlip
Registered
Rep
Drives: 323i

Great to read all this and I have the following question:
I am interested in buying a 07 335i sedan but not interested in having hassles
Would your advice to me be "stay away from a 335i completely?

Also could it be driving style that brings on the failures. I mean who can resist the temptation of flooring the car every now and then. Could this problem exist even if you drive the car with care and not floor it just because you can?

Lastly is that 120 miles extension just for the original owner or even valid for the 2nd and 3rd owners?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #1197
skyview
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Sedan

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #1198
Um3r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Unhappy Help with diagnosis

I recently purchased my 11 E92 335XI CPO and have started to notice longer than usual crank times. The first one happened a week ago which I thought might be due to cold weather (28F), but I see/notice it happen more frequently now. Its 59F today and I am still getting longer initial cranks.

The first startup always takes longer, however if i turn the car off and back on the car starts up instantly. Waiting for 5 minutes and repeating resets the long/normal crank time cycle.

Before going to the dealer, I just wanted to be sure if it really looks like a problem? I am a little paranoid reading all the threads on the issue. Here are videos from two different days:

Cold Day:

Normal Day (Warmed up engine):

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #1199
hassanov
Registered
Rep
Drives: Deer

Good post with good explanations.
      12-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #1200
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um3r View Post
I recently purchased my 11 E92 335XI CPO and have started to notice longer than usual crank times. The first one happened a week ago which I thought might be due to cold weather (28F), but I see/notice it happen more frequently now. Its 59F today and I am still getting longer initial cranks.

The first startup always takes longer, however if i turn the car off and back on the car starts up instantly. Waiting for 5 minutes and repeating resets the long/normal crank time cycle.

Before going to the dealer, I just wanted to be sure if it really looks like a problem? I am a little paranoid reading all the threads on the issue. Here are videos from two different days:

Cold Day:

Normal Day (Warmed up engine):

Thank you
so what ended up happening ? my car cranks long when warm like yours. does anyone else notice that????
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #1201
Um3r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Got the issue resolved yesterday.
I took it to the dealership for inspection and had to leave it overnight. The tech told me that he could not find any fault codes but said that the symptoms pointed towards fuel pressure issues. He applied a software update (SIB 121713) and now the slow cranks and jitteriness is gone. It also feels a lot more responsive. The best part is that it was covered under warranty

If you put your car in reverse and let it roll on its own do you feel it suddenly accelerating then slowing down randomly or sometimes the rpm fluctuates on idle?

Here is a screenshot of the report:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #1202
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335is

Add me to list! Haven't even had the car a month yet... 2011 335is w/ 14.3k miles. Took a trip to the beach for the weekend and on the way back half way home when I tried to speed up to pass a 18 wheeler the car started bucking real bad almost like a fuel cut. I let off the gas and with light throttle the car ran perfect. No check engine lights or anything odd. Then I tried accelerating with more then 20% throttle and would again start stumbling.

Every attempt resulted in the same outcome and I started to get worried. I pulled off the road to see if maybe the charge pipe or some vacuum leak was visible but nothing. Finally got home, let the car sit for an hour and decided to go out for a spin to see if she would do it again and as soon as I tried starting the car it stumbled and took a few extra cranks to turn over. After it turned over the check engine light came on and said "engine malfunction" Power reduced and to see a BMW service center ASAP.

Dropped the car off yesterday morning and just word that it had a code for HPFP failure. They said it should be done by tomorrow and that they luckily had a one in stock. I can't believe it failed so soon and on a later n54 like the '11s considering everything I've read this was an issue with the earlier models and had been addressed since. It's amazing this day and age that a manufacturer can have reoccurring issues with the same part over and over and for multiple years. Just blows my mind and doesn't say much for the manufacturer in my opinion. Definately not the way I wanted to start off the new year.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #1203
joneffingvo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holshot View Post
Add me to list! Haven't even had the car a month yet... 2011 335is w/ 14.3k miles. Took a trip to the beach for the weekend and on the way back half way home when I tried to speed up to pass a 18 wheeler the car started bucking real bad almost like a fuel cut. I let off the gas and with light throttle the car ran perfect. No check engine lights or anything odd. Then I tried accelerating with more then 20% throttle and would again start stumbling.

Every attempt resulted in the same outcome and I started to get worried. I pulled off the road to see if maybe the charge pipe or some vacuum leak was visible but nothing. Finally got home, let the car sit for an hour and decided to go out for a spin to see if she would do it again and as soon as I tried starting the car it stumbled and took a few extra cranks to turn over. After it turned over the check engine light came on and said "engine malfunction" Power reduced and to see a BMW service center ASAP.

Dropped the car off yesterday morning and just word that it had a code for HPFP failure. They said it should be done by tomorrow and that they luckily had a one in stock. I can't believe it failed so soon and on a later n54 like the '11s considering everything I've read this was an issue with the earlier models and had been addressed since. It's amazing this day and age that a manufacturer can have reoccurring issues with the same part over and over and for multiple years. Just blows my mind and doesn't say much for the manufacturer in my opinion. Definately not the way I wanted to start off the new year.
Just took ownership of a 2011 335is with 35k miles and looking at the service history the car hasn't had a single problem only routine maintenance and service. Knocking on wood!
      01-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #1204
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneffingvo View Post
Just took ownership of a 2011 335is with 35k miles and looking at the service history the car hasn't had a single problem only routine maintenance and service. Knocking on wood!
Consider yourself lucky... After less then 2 weeks and a couple hundred miles on the new HPFP it started acting up along with 3 out of 6 injectors were found to be leaking. So another new HPFP and all new injectors were installed, hopefully that's the last of the dealer for awhile. BMW needs to get on the ball with quality control. The cars' on its 3rd HPFP and has less then 15k miles on it and is completely bone stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #1205
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Does anyone which actual codes are required to get a new fuel pump from bmw?

I'm only getting 29e2 when it goes into limp mode and logs clearly show my hpfp failing. I want to make sure I actually get a new pump when I bring it in because last time they said they couldn't get the fuel pump code to come up..but did replace my injectors..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 03:58 AM   #1206
sydenfareren
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2017 SMB M4

Garage List
2017 Bmw M4  [0.00]
2008 335I  [10.00]
I got an Hpfp issue. Does anyone no if the waranty Works in Europe? I have an 2008 E92 mod. 52000km.

Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trygveognedal/
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #1207
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbo_bmw View Post
Does anyone which actual codes are required to get a new fuel pump from bmw?

I'm only getting 29e2 when it goes into limp mode and logs clearly show my hpfp failing. I want to make sure I actually get a new pump when I bring it in because last time they said they couldn't get the fuel pump code to come up..but did replace my injectors..
somebody...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #1208
mistr_ministr
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 335ix sedan

No HPFP waranty in Czech republic, just possibility to good-will repairs

My case: E90 335 iX manufactured in 1/2011 and week ago just got engine malfunction message. Thinking its caused by VANOS (which is recalled due to possible screw disengagement), delivered car to local dealer and after VANOS recall was made, the malfunction was still there. They discovered HPFP failure. As far as i know, in Europe are completely different waranty conditions, so no HPFP waranty for me (99600 km ). Anybody knows, if there is a possibility to get the latest HPFP, which will be OK or should I plan for another HPFP change anytime?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #1209
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' N54 6SPD E90

Just found out today that I am still on my original HPFP. I'm at 74.9 on the ODO and have until 110k. What scares me worse is that I'm on original turbos and that extended warranty is only good up to 82k... Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #1210
roycee92
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I took my car for a diagnostic today, really thought it was faulty fuel pump, but ended up being a vacuum leak. by the vacuum tank.
Appreciate 0