E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aftermarket Sub and AMP installation Problem

01-04-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
shaheen
BMW is Awesome
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2007 320D

Garage List
2007 320D  [0.00]
Unhappy Aftermarket Sub and AMP installation Problem

Hi,

I have attempted (or trying to attempt) an installation of my sub and amp in my car. I have tried to follow a number of guides posted on this forum but I have run into an annoying issue.

I do not think that I have a Hi Fi or a Logic 7 system. I have the four 4" speakers and 2 subs underneath the front seats. The radio says 'Professional'.

What I have done so far is connect a 'Hi to Lo Converter' to the rear two speakers (I tapped into the speaker wire close to the speakers). This gave me RCA connections which go to the AMP. Next, I connected the AMP to the battery. Then the RCA's from the 'Hi to Lo Converter' to the AMP. And finally the Sub to the AMP. By the way, I'm putting the AMP underneath the boot (where the spare tyre normally would have been, like the BSW Sub)

Problem:
The sound I hear from the Sub appears to be very soft. And it sounds like mostly treble, very little bass. It's not any louder than the rear speakers.
I have played with the settings on the AMP, but that seems to make very little difference.

Other issue:
Most guides talk about an AMP located here my CD changer is located. I do not seem to have an AMP there nor any connector to install an AMP.

Other issue 2:
When I remove the boot floor-board cover, there are a bunch of cables tied up. Most pics on this forum show that these cable are connected to some sort of factory fitted device. What is that device? and would I be able to tap into those wire for my Sub/Amp installation?

What I suspect:
Either the rear speakers have no low frequency sent to them and I need to tap from somewhere else.
My AMP does not work.
My Sub does not work.

Any guidance on how to get my AMP/Sub installation working better would really be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheen View Post
Either the rear speakers have no low frequency sent to them and I need to tap from somewhere else.
That's the answer; the OEM HU high pass the rear speaker signal in your Stereo system (6-speakers, no separate OEM amp).

Tap the front speakers either behind the OEM HU or by the underseat woofers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
shaheen
BMW is Awesome
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2007 320D  [0.00]
Thanks a lot Technic.

Now the mission t try and run those cables from the Subs under the seat to the boot is going to be my next big mission

RF
      01-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Hi Shaheen, you have the South African spec Hi Fi unit. Most of these DIY guides are for the US spec cars. They mostly have the amps (behind left wheels arch). The rear speakers on the Hi Fi spec do have full range. Read in the local sections, I have posted blogs on my sub and amp install.

I checked my install at every step of the install to ensure I connected everything right. I used an old tweeter to check that I did the wire taps correctly. Speaker should play in phase with the rest of car. After the Hi-Lo converter I also checked with ear phones that the RCA signal is correct, it should sound the same as car and also volume wise be the same. Then connect amp and test install.

One idea might be that your settings on the Hi-Lo converter are too low. What type of converter did you use? If you check your install at every point you should be able to source the problem.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno11 View Post
Hi Shaheen, you have the South African spec Hi Fi unit. Most of these DIY guides are for the US spec cars. They mostly have the amps (behind left wheels arch). The rear speakers on the Hi Fi spec do have full range. Read in the local sections, I have posted blogs on my sub and amp install.

I checked my install at every step of the install to ensure I connected everything right. I used an old tweeter to check that I did the wire taps correctly. Speaker should play in phase with the rest of car. After the Hi-Lo converter I also checked with ear phones that the RCA signal is correct, it should sound the same as car and also volume wise be the same. Then connect amp and test install.

One idea might be that your settings on the Hi-Lo converter are too low. What type of converter did you use? If you check your install at every point you should be able to source the problem.

Good luck!
I have tested the Stereo outputs (your "HiFi spec" in SA) in an iDrive CIC and the rear speakers are high passed...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #6
shaheen
BMW is Awesome
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2007 320D  [0.00]
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the added responses. I will have a look at the write-ups in the local section.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Shaheen
      01-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Menno11
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Hi Technic, I always value your expert advise. I am just speaking out of my experience with my own install, and the sub gives great bass from the LOC on the rear 4" speakers.

Shaheen, I see you have same model car as mine, 320d, SG. LEt us know how the install goes!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hi Technic, I always value your expert advise. I am just speaking out of my experience with my own install, and the sub gives great bass from the LOC on the rear 4" speakers.

Shaheen, I see you have same model car as mine, 320d, SG. LEt us know how the install goes!
Perhaps there's a difference between the Stereo outputs of the iDrive and the Professional HU.

The Stereo system in the USA is a new configuration so that could be also a factor.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
shaheen
BMW is Awesome
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2007 320D  [0.00]
Quote:

Good luck!
Hi Menno

I am going to double check the phase tomorrow.
The HiLo converter I have used is on of those no-name brands from Autostyle (It just says 'Hi to Lo Converter'). I used the same Hi Lo Converter on my Sub Installation in my Opel. So it did what it was meant to do
I also played around with the settings on the AMP, but the sound does not appear to be any louder than if I configured the radio to play of just the back speakers.

This weekend, I will try and tap the subs under the seats, I've seen some write-ups on this (Just 4 bolts and the seats pop out!). If this does not work, then something must be broken on my Sub or AMP.

Thanks
      01-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #10
Menno11
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Do you have iDrive on your car or not? I dont have iDrive, maybe that is where the high pass filter is done.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #11
shaheen
BMW is Awesome
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2007 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you have iDrive on your car or not? I dont have iDrive, maybe that is where the high pass filter is done.
Hi,

I do not have iDrive. Where did you get your NR-300 HiLo Adaptor from? Maybe something is wrong with my adaptor?

Thanks

Shaheen
      01-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
shaheen
BMW is Awesome
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2007 320D  [0.00]
I could not wait until the weekend, so I decided to reattempt the installation.

I double checked the phase from the rear tapped speakers, everything was 100%, but sound coming out of the subwoofer was very faint.

I went out and bought some tools

I tapped into the sub under the seat. Connected the HiLo converter, connected the AMP, and SUCCESS

I still need to tap the left sub to the RCA's.

The sub needs to be boxed properly and amp needs to be mounted properly.

Step after that would be to tweak it a bit to sound awesome.

But I'll be patient enough to leave that for the weekend

Thanks guys for the awesome advice and pointing me in the right direction. I will be sure to post how my installation progressed.

Shaheen
      01-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
Menno11
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Great to hear Shaheen! I got the LOC from Zakspeed here in Cape Town. What sub and amp are you connecting?
Appreciate 0