E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 6at Post Shift Bog @ the track... FIXED!!! Thanks to WedgePerformance

11-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #67
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
That's nice with that timing recovery but you aren't running high boost and why are you not hitting your boost target?
Work in progress... PROcede going back in soon for boost control...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #68
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
You shifted at redline. Look at how much power you're costing yourself doing that! For a few seconds you'll be making as much as 80whp less!

This comparison is using the non-flatline map on both runs redline shift vs. short shift to see the difference in power during a 50-150 run.

Mike
I can't believe you pulled that card out... We need to go race... haha

You know that is subjective at best. You also can't do a comp between a MT to redline, then short shift an AT as a comp... Different gearing, different cars... The only way to really know is to VBOX two runs to see which is quicker. You can't look at this graph and tell anything because it's not a valid comparison. But I have to say it's an interesting theory. From my own experience that didn't hold true and I always ran faster trap speeds letting it shift at 6800.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #69
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-Tom View Post
I figured I would thank Wedge for helping me out with my problem. I was getting a post shift bog from 2-3 and 3-4 when running an aggressive map at the drag strip and upon logging noticed it was NOT the flatline issue. The problem was the stock DME torque reduction, I toggled off the torque reduction limiters with TunerPRo(per Wedge's infinite wisdom) and BAM shifts are back to baller status. I appreciate the help from everyone here whenever I have an issue or concern it's comforting to know there is still a community left in the world. THANKS WEDGE!!!
Wedge is pretty much a badass. He helped me a ton with my DME version flash!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #70
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
I can't believe you pulled that card out... We need to go race... haha

You know that is subjective at best. You also can't do a comp between a MT to redline, then short shift an AT as a comp... Different gearing, different cars... The only way to really know is to VBOX two runs to see which is quicker. You can't look at this graph and tell anything because it's not a valid comparison. But I have to say it's an interesting theory. From my own experience that didn't hold true and I always ran faster trap speeds letting it shift at 6800.
You misunderstood the dyno. Those are the same car minutes apart shifting at redline and at around 6100rpm. The short shift dyno run was using a flatline fix map that gives around 7 degrees advance post shift while the redline run was using a normal map that gives around 12 degrees advance post shift on redline shifts. If you shift close to redline you are leaving a lot of power on the table.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #71
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You misunderstood the dyno. Those are the same car minutes apart shifting at redline and at around 6100rpm. The short shift dyno run was using a flatline fix map that gives around 7 degrees advance post shift while the redline run was using a normal map that gives around 12 degrees advance post shift on redline shifts. If you shift close to redline you are leaving a lot of power on the table.

Mike
Trust me Mike, I understand the theory, but the only way to validate is VBOX the time/distance. Only then will this theory hold water. I would love to go out and test it, but I don't have a VBOX. So if someone wants to do this and post up their findings it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #72
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Trust me Mike, I understand the theory, but the only way to validate is VBOX the time/distance. Only then will this theory hold water. I would love to go out and test it, but I don't have a VBOX. So if someone wants to do this and post up their findings it would be greatly appreciated.
Same car same dyno the results do not lie. Shifting earlier gives more average power to the ground over the course of a long run. The only catch is you need to have a flash map that holds good timing when short shifting.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #73
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Same car same dyno the results do not lie. Shifting earlier gives more average power to the ground over the course of a long run. The only catch is you need to have a flash map that holds good timing when short shifting.

Mike
That all make sense. Trust me, I believe you. But, I personally would like to see time/distance to do the comparison.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #74
TT-Tom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C.S.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Lol yea you mean like this? It's pretty cool...

http://datazap.me/u/135pats/e30?1-12-20
I think if you lower your load to 135 at 4k and smoothly increase it to around 150 up top with an increase in scaler to get your trims in check you would get good results. My car seems to like it at least. You will have to play around with it to see what your car likes.
      11-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #75
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
I think if you lower your load to 135 at 4k and smoothly increase it to around 150 up top with an increase in scaler to get your trims in check you would get good results. My car seems to like it at least. You will have to play around with it to see what your car likes.
Bumping in more scalar is a good idea, hadn't thought about pulling out some load midrange but that's an interesting theory.

Biggest issue is the low pressure side; it gets destroyed more or less right off the bat with how quickly boost comes on and load ramps up. Stupid pump needs to hurry up and get to me.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #76
TT-Tom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Bumping in more scalar is a good idea, hadn't thought about pulling out some load midrange but that's an interesting theory.

Biggest issue is the low pressure side; it gets destroyed more or less right off the bat with how quickly boost comes on and load ramps up. Stupid pump needs to hurry up and get to me.
Are you flash only or do you have a piggy as well? If not I would get one with the auto, that way you can run load at low levels and use the piggy to manipulate boost. I'm working on a map that has literally no ecu boost control and all done through the procede but should work with jb4 although I have limited experience with that box. I've had some trouble getting boost onset to work with fuel trims but I had a major breakthrough last night so i'll be posting some interesting stuff in coming times.
      11-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #77
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Are you flash only or do you have a piggy as well? If not I would get one with the auto, that way you can run load at low levels and use the piggy to manipulate boost. I'm working on a map that has literally no ecu boost control and all done through the procede but should work with jb4 although I have limited experience with that box. I've had some trouble getting boost onset to work with fuel trims but I had a major breakthrough last night so i'll be posting some interesting stuff in coming times.
If I stacked for boost control I would go with a PROcede for the additional meth integration. But i'm getting protuned once a few more mods go in, so i'll likely do that flashing to the DME.

It would be nice to have isolated boost from a piggy, with the DME controlling targets, advance, fuel etc. IJE0S is frustrating sometimes with flash, but i'm very confident PTF can make a great E60+Meth map.

Look forward to the data on trims. Fuel can be tricky on this car.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #78
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So basically your doing the same thing as Shiv with the Flex V2 Beta where he zeros out WGDC PIDs and makes the PROcede do the boost control. This was also Terry's approach with the LOW LOAD BMS Flash which in my opinion is taking a step back to only take a small step forward... But on the JB, I found it doesn't like high load flash on the preset maps and really only works with map6. Feedback from cars I have tuned with my high load map, run much better than they do with the low load maps.

Also, there is a bug currently with map0 and it's reducing boost when it shouldn't. Terry said he would fix it in the next release. Once that is fix, the JB4 will be a really nice option for anyone wanting to make stupid power and still have the option of running a track day flash on Map0.

So I'm going the other direction using a very aggressive flash and have had great results with both PROcede and JB4. On both platforms the owners have come back with nothing but positive feedback on how much better cold starts are, no onset lag, and all have commented on how the car pulls smooth through the entire power range.

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with. If you're interested in looking at what I'm doing, hit me up via PM or email. WedgePerformance at Gmail.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #79
TT-Tom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So basically your doing the same thing as Shiv with the Flex V2 Beta where he zeros out WGDC PIDs and makes the PROcede do the boost control. This was also Terry's approach with the LOW LOAD BMS Flash which in my opinion is taking a step back to only take a small step forward... But on the JB, I found it doesn't like high load flash on the preset maps and really only works with map6. Feedback from cars I have tuned with my high load map, run much better than they do with the low load maps.

Also, there is a bug currently with map0 and it's reducing boost when it shouldn't. Terry said he would fix it in the next release. Once that is fix, the JB4 will be a really nice option for anyone wanting to make stupid power and still have the option of running a track day flash on Map0.

So I'm going the other direction using a very aggressive flash and have had great results with both PROcede and JB4. On both platforms the owners have come back with nothing but positive feedback on how much better cold starts are, no onset lag, and all have commented on how the car pulls smooth through the entire power range.

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with. If you're interested in looking at what I'm doing, hit me up via PM or email. WedgePerformance at Gmail.
My thoughts are, if I can get this working well, I will have an aggressive flash for timing, map 1 to reduce timing for pump gas as well as fuel trims, map 2 will be used for e85 zero out timing and all fueling in map 2. This way there is very little piggy intervention in map 2, also gives the option to use map 4. My approach is similar to shiv's in terms of 0 wgdc table however im using my own pid configuration in the procede to manipulate spool and onset. My biggest issue with high load flash tunes is the drivability around town, I love the way the car drives when the procede is in charge of boost. Map0 with an aggressive tune will still cause timing corrections with pump gas, even at very low boost levels.
      11-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #80
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My thoughts are, if I can get this working well, I will have an aggressive flash for timing, map 1 to reduce timing for pump gas as well as fuel trims, map 2 will be used for e85 zero out timing and all fueling in map 2. This way there is very little piggy intervention in map 2, also gives the option to use map 4. My approach is similar to shiv's in terms of 0 wgdc table however im using my own pid configuration in the procede to manipulate spool and onset. My biggest issue with high load flash tunes is the drivability around town, I love the way the car drives when the procede is in charge of boost. Map0 with an aggressive tune will still cause timing corrections with pump gas, even at very low boost levels.
That's why I'm using map0 as a track day flash for e85 and map1 for pump as I can pull timing and boost. Let me know if you want me to throw a flash together for you to try. I think you'll be very impressed with the drive-ability and power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #81
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

This is a very old thread; from before xhp and mhd. How is the 6AT shift bog managed these days? I have jb4 running MHD BEF and XHP stage 3. Please help someone.
Appreciate 0