E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d starting issue ?

03-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

335d starting issue ?

Hey guys , and my saga continues!

Getting kinda fed up now as it seams to be every month a new issue raises its head

Latest issue is this , starting....

Had the car out for a sprinted drive, drive it sensible the last mile or so to let everything cool back down , shut it off , gave it a wash and then when I went to move it back up the drive it cracked for a second or 2 longer (not much I know but it's never done that before, my start procedures is just open car, get in and foot on the brake and push start - normaly fires right up)

It did it then and I thought hmm, so shut it off and it started right back up fine and fast like normal

Left it over night started it in the morning and it was fine - good I thought

Then later on that afternoon (car was cold) I wanted to serch for errors to see if there was anything stored , fired up inpa and found nothing , good I thought , u plugged the lap top and went to start it and nothing! Zero ! Car just cranked and cranked until I let my foot off the brake , tryed 3 times total and it just wouldn't fire up , started to panic so plugged the lap top in and looked at various readings (the throttle pos ect ect) and just happened to push the start button and it fired right up ! That was on Saturday , and today this afternoon (so not cold as I had drive it about 1 hour before) it did its little delayed start again

Plugged the laptop in and still nothing stored , started up again fine ....

Really at a bit of a loss

So far iv gathered that it's not cold or hot start , a mix of both when I say hot I mean warm as it has cooled down a bit (but not right down to its cold start idele)

Fuel level has been up and down so wouldn't think it's fuel level related

i don't know what to do, at a bit of a loss with it , would rather fix it now than get stuck somewhere ....

Only thing that has changed on the car prior to this happening is the following;

Intercooler has been replaced with a Wagner (standard one burst)
Red boost pipe also replaced and now not leaking
And I fitted water meth kit to the car , it had been used once prior to this happening

Glow plug module or even a hpfp issue ?
It's had the plugs replaced

Only other little issue can think of is iv asked before about the amount of oil in the pipe work , when fitting the water meth I noticed a little pool on the throttle body , I'm pretty adamant the turbos are going to need a service(new oil seals)

Do you think the oil could be entering the cylinders and giving the car issue to start ?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

This should be a link to the photo of my throttle body..... Imo to much oil

https://flic.kr/p/F9kSF1
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:58 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Has to be either fuel related, or a sensor issue.

Oil entering the engine wouldnt matter, it will happily burn the oil, leaking pipes wouldnt matter either to get it idling. Glow plugs arent really needed to start and certainly not when warm.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
evo97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Next time open live readings and take note if there is a RPM engine signal from crank sensor and most important fuel pressure readings as the injectors won't be aloud to inject fuel until pressure reaches a certain level. My guess is there's a leak in a fuel pipe somewhere enough for the fuel to drain back so extended cranking is required to get fuel back to where it's required and more importantly fuel pressure back up.

Nathan
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

Yeh il try that! Sod's law it's not done it the last 10 odd starts....

I hate intermittent faults !
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

I feel your pain Jack! Don't suppose it could be something as simple as a dodgy tank of fuel?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

nah i thought that at first , but iv been through a good tank and bit since then , i wish it would just brake and be done with , i know fine well its gonna fuck up one day i have to be somewhere important !

i have noticed when it does do it , there is a puff of fuel/oil out the back very breifly , im near certian it doesnt do that when i start it normaly!

beinging to wonder if i have a leaky injector ? or maby it is a glow plug modual issue
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
nah i thought that at first , but iv been through a good tank and bit since then , i wish it would just brake and be done with , i know fine well its gonna fuck up one day i have to be somewhere important !

i have noticed when it does do it , there is a puff of fuel/oil out the back very breifly , im near certian it doesnt do that when i start it normaly!

beinging to wonder if i have a leaky injector ? or maby it is a glow plug modual issue
My glow plug controller went kaput but I didn't have your starting issue. I would say an injector could be the issue from what I've read. Trouble is which one? They also have to be coded I believe so not a straight forward fix plus they're costly. Maybe worth seeing if you can get a second hand set and bung them in. Do you have a decent indy?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

I don't think it's injectors , iv been plugging my laptop in and watching Various sensors , standard that it's not had a issue everytime iv had the laptop plugged in, but the fuel pressure sits at 300 bar after switching off so at least they arnt leaking which normal does lead to starting issues
Appreciate 0