E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental) > German Emissions Laws

01-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
BimmerPres
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i

German Emissions Laws

Hey all,

Moving to Germany in a few months and I have heard a few things regarding emissions. I have a stock 335i but I'm planning on modifying soon, and was really looking forward to some catless downpipes. I have heard two things: I can't have catless downpipes in Germany because they aren't stock. Or I can have them, I just have to pay a higher tax. Anyone familiar with German laws can help me out?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
SACsac12
Dolomite
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i w spry pckg

Are u going to Germany as a civilian or military. Cuz I know for military they don't do an emission test ... Atleast where I'm at
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
BimmerPres
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i

Yeah I'm going to Ramstein actually. So they don't do any sort of emissions testing to get your car registered? You don't have to go through the Germans either, just the on base inspection?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
SACsac12
Dolomite
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i w spry pckg

Sweet that's where I'm at currently... But as far as exhaust goes all they care about is if it's 95db.. If ur higher than that ull fail.
And some info ab ramsteinyardsales aka ramshaft be prepaired for a lot of dumb assery.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Boostmachines
Pilsed
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i AT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPres View Post
Yeah I'm going to Ramstein actually. So they don't do any sort of emissions testing to get your car registered? You don't have to go through the Germans either, just the on base inspection?
Nope, based upon the car you have and it's stock configuration they'll give you an emission sticker based upon your car's class. The sticker allows you to drive in emissions-restricted cities without getting a ticket. My big ass truck didn't have one but my 335i is a class 4.

I think if you modify it heavily and get pulled over they can order to you get it tested, but I've honestly not seen many heavily modified Bimmers here. Maybe when summer rolls around they'll bring them out of the garages.

Current: 2012 335i E92 Coupe 6AT | Titanium Silver | Packages: CW, Convenience, M-Sport, NAV, Apps | HK 7 Stereo | Black Leather | Painted M-Sport wheels
Previous: 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel | 4x4 | LT Z71 Package
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Inspection is mostly for safety. They will not see your catless down-pipes.

DONT speed in town. The fines are considerably higher now.
      03-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
alejandro335i
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

All we German Guys here about Military Cars , That they can do anything they want ^^ straight pipe " no Problem "
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro335i View Post
All we German Guys here about Military Cars , That they can do anything they want ^^ straight pipe " no Problem "
no sure about that.... i can tell you this...

They will fail you if you have straight pipes... example can be a cat back exhaust with the resonator missing of removed... it must be 95db or lower. and before you come over make sure your car is not too dropped. also, the tires cannot stick out of the fender well....
There is a minimum height standard that your car has to meet. Make sure you brakes as well as you e-brake are up to speed and your vehicle does not have any SRS or ABS lights lit...

Remove any tint you may have in the front as they will fail you if you have tint in the front of the car. number 1 reason for failing military registered POV's is leaks... make sure you leak is not obviously a problem...

the Germans citizens by contrast have a much stricter TUV standard than the USAFE POV standard... so consider yourself lucky... for now..!

Welcome to Germany bro... and believe me when i tell you that the autobahn is a marvel when it comes to road engineering but it still kills...

Maybe what Alejandro means is that theTUV (German inspection) is more strict than the USAFE POV inspection standard. example can be in the amount of rust a car may have. But by no means the will pass you with straight pipes.... That doesn't mean however that when you are done passing you inspection you cant start wrenching away those shiny chrome straight pipes... a lot of guys do that.... but again so do the Germans...

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 03-04-2014 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
lfelunden
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Garage List
Guys, can I buy one of your cars (those registered in Germany) as a german citizen??
Appreciate 0