E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carbon Spring Cleaning

04-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Carbon Spring Cleaning

I want to restore the lost power to my 2008 330i (N53). People have guided me to various services including Terraclean (including intake clean) and BG intake and engine clean.

Has anyone used either Terraclean or BG clean?
I'd like to know which is best (effective) to use for this type of engine. One of them is slightly more expensive than the other but if it's worth it, I don't mind paying for it.

I will be doing a oil and spark plug service anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Will maddox
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 335i m sport

No of that stuff makes a blind bit of difference on a direct injection engine so have your money and have a professional walnut blast you intake ports
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will maddox View Post
No of that stuff makes a blind bit of difference on a direct injection engine so have your money and have a professional walnut blast you intake ports

Yeah I was thinking about that as well but that only targets the inlet valve area (but targets them well!), we also need to clean out the intake manifold and egr valve area.

Both terraclean and BG clean would address this but I'd like to know which one to go for
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Snake oil.

If you want to clean it, do it properly.

Take the manifold off, have the ports blasted and mechanically clean the manifold and EGR valve.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
AndyT330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
Snake oil.

If you want to clean it, do it properly.

Take the manifold off, have the ports blasted and mechanically clean the manifold and EGR valve.
Any guides for cleaning the egr on a 330i?

Shows my limited knowledge on newer engines but after 10 years of turbo diesel ownership it never even crossed my mind that petrol engines now have them
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
wuntunmein88
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I'm sure removing the manifold and walnut blasting is going to be more expensive than Terraclean. I had my 335i terracleaned and oil changed and for $220 it 2 hours and I can feel the responsiveness and smoothness of acceleration. I just hope that it lasts for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Walnut blast would be best option for the DI engine. Terraclean will do very little with regards to removing deposit. Budget £300 for it and you'll be ok. Had my 335i done and it made a significant difference.
Appreciate 1
Tr1ppy35.50
      11-10-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
Walnut blast would be best option for the DI engine. Terraclean will do very little with regards to removing deposit. Budget £300 for it and you'll be ok. Had my 335i done and it made a significant difference.
Thanks, I think this would be the best option. I had my 330i terracleaned a few months ago, only felt the tiniest bit of difference.

I use VPower all the time and take it for a blast so walnut blasting may be the only option here.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 05:14 AM   #9
German_Whip
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Let us know how you get along.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Walnut blasting with these cars does help we've seen quite a few N53's in various states some more coated than others usually with these unlike the N54's we seem more of a gooey deposit rather than a hard backed on deposit but nevertheless like most/all DI engines this problem is part/parcel of the wonderful world of direct injection you'll never cure it and once done over time the issue will re-emerge. But once done you'll pick up if its coked up on the difference but it will depend on the car itself some react better than others which goes hand in hand with the condition pre work

Thing is I'd ask is your question relating to "restoring loss of power" - walnut blasting on its own may well not be the answer to this so you've got to IMO ask where the issue re "potential loss of power is" if there is any and this is where questions need to be asked and things need exploring

Biggest thing on these engines though that can create/cause issues and head scratching is the injectors we are seeing more and more coming through with issues sometimes diagnostic doesn't see anything but when you probe manually you see the injectors misting or spraying

Re Terraclean we looked at this some years ago but overall with the vehicles we are seeing the net result re improvements seems to be mixed to say the least, though IMO I have to say when you read the reviews re say emissions there is some positive feedback, the only customer we have seen locally who's done it came away with a luke warm opinion as to how effective it was but if you have an injector issue and its deep routed is this say going to help I personally doubt it.