E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Holy Sh*t 2010 Camaro already running in 11's !

05-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

Lightbulb Holy Sh*t 2010 Camaro already running in 11's !

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23195

11.67 to be exact. Now I'm no fanboy of just straight line driving but that's pretty amazing that the tuning for the new camaro is already developed to this point since the cars only been out for a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Does not shock me by "already" this tuned....It's Hennessey. They get GM cars to their shop earlier than anyone, I think.

That is quick for sure. As many have said, this motor has bin after bin of ready parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Umm... that track was MASSIVELY prepped for that run.
      05-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

Track prep can only do so much. That car's damn fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplsoleil View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23195

11.67 to be exact. Now I'm no fanboy of just straight line driving but that's pretty amazing that the tuning for the new camaro is already developed to this point since the cars only been out for a few weeks
It's an LS3. An engine that was already on the market for a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
It's an LS3. An engine that was already on the market for a year or two.

Yeah, it's really no surprise they've got a kit for it already. The blower installation will be the same as the Vette, and that just leaves the plumbing for the air filter, and maybe a few brackets.

It's a lot like the situation with the 335i and 135i. The 335i guys waited a while for tuning options, but they were ready to go for the 1 by the time is hit the dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

honestly surprised its not faster than that.

it should be, weight FTL.
      05-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
honestly surprised its not faster than that.

it should be, weight FTL.

That's a streetable tune that's 50 state emissions legal. That's DAMN fast for a car meeting those requirements.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
That's a streetable tune that's 50 state emissions legal. That's DAMN fast for a car meeting those requirements.
yes it is fast, but the STOCK LS3 vette has made passes close to that time with a lot less power and probably less money. This supercharged ls3 put down 530rwhp where a stock vette will be OVER 100WHP LESS yet they trap only a few mph less.

Lets not even get a stock Z06 thrown into what im' explaining. Fastest stock Z06 I've seen was 10.9x at 130.xmph.....STOCK, thats with less HP at the crank than that car is putting down at the wheels.

I'm just saying, the weight kills that car as far as overall performance goes. I'm not talking about cool factor here.....that car is riduculously cool and I would drive the hell out of it.

Guess I'm just tired of the US manu's making overweight underperforming cars. Only 2 that come to mind that buck that trend are the Ford GT and all the current vette's.

though this does look and i'm sure sounds damned cool

Last edited by Sniz; 05-18-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
yeah it sure was....looks like MIR when we rent it out to race.

You could see his tracks the whole 1/4 as he was ripping up the VHT that was laid down.

you know its sticky when your shoe comes off when you walk across the launching area.
      05-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes it is fast, but the STOCK LS3 vette has made passes close to that time with a lot less power and probably less money. This supercharged ls3 put down 530rwhp where a stock vette will be OVER 100WHP LESS yet they trap only a few mph less.

Lets not even get a stock Z06 thrown into what im' explaining. Fastest stock Z06 I've seen was 10.9x at 130.xmph.....STOCK, thats with less HP at the crank than that car is putting down at the wheels.

Why are you trying to compare the times with the Vette? It's more than a 500lb weight difference. One is a large four seat muscle car and the other is an expensive, lightweight two seater.

It's not just the American manufacturers that are having weight issues. Every new model hitting the market is either significantly heavier than it was before, or significantly more expensive (wth the extra cost going toward losing weight). There's a lot of mandated safety and emissions equipment they're stuck with these days.

I'm sure GM could have knocked the weight down by a few hundred lbs if they had another $5k to work with, but no one can deny that this is a very good performance value.

What other 50 state legal car can you buy that seats four people and performs like this?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Why are you trying to compare the times with the Vette? It's more than a 500lb weight difference. One is a large four seat muscle car and the other is an expensive, lightweight two seater.

It's not just the American manufacturers that are having weight issues. Every new model hitting the market is either significantly heavier than it was before, or significantly more expensive (wth the extra cost going toward losing weight). There's a lot of mandated safety and emissions equipment they're stuck with these days.

I'm sure GM could have knocked the weight down by a few hundred lbs if they had another $5k to work with, but no one can deny that this is a very good performance value.

What other 50 state legal car can you buy that seats four people and performs like this?
cadillac cts-v

reason i'm comparing them is just that....the Camaro, Challenger, Charger, etc are all overweight pigs.

Does not mean I dont think they are cool, just overweight and horrible in the twisties from everything I have been reading.

its a shame.

oh, and you called corvette's expensive??? really? You can pick up a brand new LS3 vette in the high 30's.
      05-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh, and you called corvette's expensive??? really? You can pick up a brand new LS3 vette in the high 30's.

That's because they're discounting the hell out of everything right now. It's not designed to sell at that price point, and we both know it. The MSRP is more than $10k higher than the Camaro.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Track prep can only do so much. That car's damn fast.
Yea but it does a lot and his ET vs MPH shows he had assloads of traction.

Quote:
yeah it sure was....looks like MIR when we rent it out to race.

You could see his tracks the whole 1/4 as he was ripping up the VHT that was laid down.

you know its sticky when your shoe comes off when you walk across the launching area.
Exactly he was freaking driving on glue
      05-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

The Z06 is still a better bargain but no doubt the Camaro is fast.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's because they're discounting the hell out of everything right now. It's not designed to sell at that price point, and we both know it. The MSRP is more than $10k higher than the Camaro.
then your going need to add in the price of that supercharger kit and the added accessories that will be needed. My guess, it won't be under 9-10k.

Other than the "cool" factor which the new Camaro has plenty of its not impressing me.

Quote:
Yea but it does a lot and his ET vs MPH shows he had assloads of traction.

Exactly he was freaking driving on glue
I love driving on a track like that, but its a great way to break driveline parts......sometimes you can have TOO much traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
The Z06 is still a better bargain but no doubt the Camaro is fast.
yup agreed.
      05-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

wow!
      05-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
then your going need to add in the price of that supercharger kit and the added accessories that will be needed. My guess, it won't be under 9-10k.

Other than the "cool" factor which the new Camaro has plenty of its not impressing me.

The supercharge has nothing to do with the reason we're discussing the Vette. My point was that making cars lighter costs money. I'm not sure why you're not getting that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I love driving on a track like that, but its a great way to break driveline parts......sometimes you can have TOO much traction.

Yea I was going to say, you take a BMW on a track like that and you will not like the outcome, your e36 would probably rip the sub frame out or differential off its mount, e46 would kill the subframe or a CV joint.

BMWs aren't made to be launched like that or hit second hard on that kind of a surface.
      05-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The supercharge has nothing to do with the reason we're discussing the Vette. My point was that making cars lighter costs money. I'm not sure why you're not getting that.
i'm getting that....i'm just saying it takes just as much if not more money to make a heavy car fast!

its tradeoffs, pay for it now or pay for it later.
      05-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #21
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yea I was going to say, you take a BMW on a track like that and you will not like the outcome, your e36 would probably rip the sub frame out or differential off its mount, e46 would kill the subframe or a CV joint.

BMWs aren't made to be launched like that or hit second hard on that kind of a surface.
yup!

i'm getting heckled by my friends for not running the car at this Friday's MIR drag rental......its just not ready for that kind of abuse. Still on stock rear bushings, axles, and RTAB's....stock shock mounts etc. It will break w/ ~460-475hp and almost the same TQ being thrown at it.

its fine on the street, but on a super sticky track w heated DR's......kiss it goodbye.

It does have a Mike R rear diff support already welded on though, thats a drag racing piece so that would help. Drag racing is a GREAT way to find and break the weak links in your drivetrain and suspension.
      05-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #22
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'm getting that....i'm just saying it takes just as much if not more money to make a heavy car fast!

its tradeoffs, pay for it now or pay for it later.

Ok, so name a modern car the size of the Camaro that's lighter.

Building a car that size that's light isn't easy or cheap. It's not just a domestic thing. No manufacturer is selling cars that size at that price point that are significantly lighter.

Big
Light
Cheap

Pick two.
Appreciate 0