E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Disconnecting fuel line from fuel rail

01-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i

Disconnecting fuel line from fuel rail

Hello,
I broke my crank case breather hose when replacing my valve cover gasket. Now I'm trying to remove my intake manifold to replace that. How in the world do you remove the fuel line from the fuel rail?? There is no obvious clamping method and Bentley just says "disconnect and remove"

Thanks!
Simon
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Modded328FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328

You don't need to remove that when replacing the manifold. There is just 1 screw towards the rear of the car that has to be removed. It is a bracket that is connected onto the manifold (near top)

Take a look at this diy:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455180
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

pull the plastic release towards the firewall. It helps if you push the fuel line towards the front of the car slightly until it releases then just disconnect. Its very simple
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks guys. I ended up getting it done without disconnecting the fuel line, like Modded328 suggested. I replaced the vent hose and the IM, now my car doesn't idle and I hear an ear piercing hissing. Does the IM manifold gasket have to be replaced when replacing the manifold? I look online and I can't see a part for it. I see there are like 6 individual o-rings in each port, are they replaceable? All dealer parts are closed on Sundays, and no aftermarket places seem to have it.

This valve cover gasket change is the biggest PITA ever.

I appreciate the responses.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Why did you replace the intake manifold?? Your car isnt idling because you have a vacuum leak, that is the hissing noise. . The gaskets are reusable on the intake manifold. Make sure the oil cap is on there correctly and locked. Where do you hear the hissing noise coming from?
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I removed the intake manifold because i broke the crank case vent hose when replacing the valve cover gasket. The IM needs to be removed to replace the vent hose.

Good to know about the gaskets, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I replaced the vent hose and the IM, now my car doesn't idle
I am aware how the line connects. Sorry just misunderstood the above quote. It sounded like you replaced the intake manifold as well.

Where do you hear the hissing noise coming from?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I can't really tell where the hissing comes from to be perfectly frank. It's ear piercing and I can't bear to have it on for long.

I don't know where else it could be coming from other than he intake manifold, all I did was replace valve cover, crank case vent hose, and intake manifold. Could crank case vent hose issue cause this?

I really appreciate your help.

Simon
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
I can't really tell where the hissing comes from to be perfectly frank. It's ear piercing and I can't bear to have it on for long.

I don't know where else it could be coming from other than he intake manifold, all I did was replace valve cover, crank case vent hose, and intake manifold. Could crank case vent hose issue cause this?

I really appreciate your help.

Simon
I thought you didnt replace the intake manifold? You just said you did again lol

Yes the crank case vent hose can cause this. If its not clipped on properly or cracked it will do this. Also the crank case vent valve if its bad it can do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry if I'm being unclear. Here's what I did:

1. Broke crank case vent hose
2. Broke entire valve cover (it came off in pieces, wtf)
3. Installed new valve cover and gaskets
4. Removed IM and replaced crank cent hose
5. Reinstalled IM, and all other parts
6. Start car and hear ear piercing hissing and violent idle surge

I think idle surge may be cause by crank vent hose and hissing by improper IM installation / bad gasket. Seem reasonable?

Thanks again.

Simon
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry if I'm being unclear. Here's what I did:

1. Broke crank case vent hose
2. Broke entire valve cover (it came off in pieces, wtf)
3. Installed new valve cover and gaskets
4. Removed IM and replaced crank cent hose
5. Reinstalled IM, and all other parts
6. Start car and hear ear piercing hissing and violent idle surge

I think idle surge may be cause by crank vent hose and hissing by improper IM installation / bad gasket. Seem reasonable?

Thanks again.

Simon

The surging idle is because of a vacuum leak, the vacuum leak is the hissing you are hearing.

Many things can cause that. If the valve cover was not installed correctly, if the valve cover gasket came out of place somewhere, the crank case vent hose not clipped on properly, oil cap not latched on properly, intake air tube not connected to the throttle valve properly etc.

Did you put all the bolts into the valve cover in the correct spots? There are 4 different style bolts on that cover. Did the valve cover gasket fall out of the back of the cover near the firewall? This sometimes can happen.

Easiest way to find the leak is to smoke test it, but I doubt you will have a smoke machine.

I highly highly doubt its a bad intake manifold gasket. They are reuseable and never really go bad.

Something went wrong with the install. There is a leak for sure somewhere and that is causing your hissing and surging idle. You need to figure out where that leak is and problem solved. I hope you didnt crack that new valve cover installing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Juiced, I owe you a beer or something. I went down and ran the car to try and figure out where the hissing was. Suddenly it started smoking. I shut the car off and saw oil all over the passenger exhaust mani, then I saw the gasket on the right rear corner by the DME was flattened and sticking out.

I got sick to my stomach and extremely frustrated. The second time around went way better and now the car runs great and no leaks, took awhile to burn all that oil off though!

I have to say this was a nightmare of a DYI, maybe I'm just a dummy.

Thanks again for your help, feels great to have the car working again.

Simon
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Juiced, I owe you a beer or something. I went down and ran the car to try and figure out where the hissing was. Suddenly it started smoking. I shut the car off and saw oil all over the passenger exhaust mani, then I saw the gasket on the right rear corner by the DME was flattened and sticking out.

I got sick to my stomach and extremely frustrated. The second time around went way better and now the car runs great and no leaks, took awhile to burn all that oil off though!

I have to say this was a nightmare of a DYI, maybe I'm just a dummy.

Thanks again for your help, feels great to have the car working again.

Simon
Glad you got it figured out.

The first time doing it, it can be a pain in the ass. There are a few tricks to making it much simpler without breaking anything. For me its easy, but I take these off 5+ times a week. Glad its all sorted out though.
Appreciate 0