E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Electrical Nightmare (2007 e92)

04-06-2024, 02:59 PM   #1
ExZackly
Car Noob
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Exclamation Electrical Nightmare (2007 e92)

Hello everyone,
I'm having an absolute nightmare and I pray someone has any idea what happened to my beloved first car.

My 2007 BMW E92 320i (n43) broke down due to it overheating. The radiator fan wasn't spinning at the time so I assumed it was a dodgy thermostat. No lights on dash or any warnings except that the car was in limp mode for about 3 miles before it broke down. It melted 2 ignition coils which all 4 were replaced. Brand new spark plugs as well but they're all now receiving no spark. Mechanic looked at the fuses and said that he thinks that the car may have been tampered with before it was sold to me because there were no warning lights on the dash but lots of different codes. After the mechanic fiddled with the fuses I now have an ABS & brake wear sensor light but no engine management.
Now the car won't lock, the boot won't unlock remotely, the fuel pump is continuously on when ignition is on and the headlights are on even when the switch is in the off position. The mechanic said there is nothing wrong with the engine and it is an electrical issue.
The car cranks fine but just no spark. Compression is fine also. Anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance
Attached Images

Last edited by ExZackly; 04-07-2024 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 05:05 AM   #2
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

I don't think you have your ISTA set up correctly.

It's very unusual to have no communication to that many modules. What cable are you using and are you positive you have your COM port settings correct and your latency timer set to 1?
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 06:05 AM   #3
ExZackly
Car Noob
Rep

Youre exactly right. My bad, when I ran the scan my laptop had been hibernating with ISTA already loaded up. I restarted ISTA and got different results that ill change on the post now. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 07:16 AM   #4
ExZackly
Car Noob
Rep

I've changed the post now to display the actual codes. Still lit up like a Christmas tree LOL. As I'm sad my car is broken and bored I labelled my fuse box, hope this somehow helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by ExZackly; 04-07-2024 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 04:53 PM   #5
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Well it got really hot to melt the coil packs.Check if the wires in that area is not damaged.When cranking are you getting rpm signal?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:03 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExZackly View Post
... [PG80117] 2007 BMW E92 320i (n43)... I now have an ABS & brake wear sensor light but no engine management. Now the car won't lock, the boot won't unlock remotely, the fuel pump is continuously on when ignition is on and the headlights are on even when the switch is in the off position... The car cranks fine but just no spark [Crank, NO Start]. Compression is fine also...
Edit AFTER viewing your JB Fuse Panel Photo:

MOVE red 10-Amp fuse one spot to LEFT: from "14" spot to "50" spot. F50 is Battery Voltage to dME, and F14 socket is NOT used.

FIRST Steps, since you have ISTA:

1) Read attached pdf: "Fault Memory & Test Plan";
2) See "VIII Saving/Posting ScreenPrints" for HOW to attach ScreenPrints HERE.
3) View, Save & Post ScreenPrint of "Control Unit Tree" as explained/ shown in pages 1-3 of attached pdf.
4) Test (visually & Electrically) fuses F50 & F77, located on your JB Fuse Panel.

All but 4 of your Fault Codes are "Message/communication Faults". We expect to see the DME RED on the Tree, which means that there is NO Communication with that Module. When a Module can't communicate, that means either:
1) No Voltage Supply/ Ground;
2) No Bus Communication (wiring/connector issue);
3) Faulty Module (ASSume ONLY AFTER testing for 1 & 2 above;

Diagnostics take time, thought, & MULTIPLE Steps. Please take the time to UNDERSTAND the steps above and the pdf.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fault Memory & Test Plan.pdf (1.72 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by gbalthrop; 04-08-2024 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
BRG_N54296.50
      04-08-2024, 10:08 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Since you have ISTA you should be able to calculate a test plan as it is called in the softwarte from the error codes and it will give you some diagnosing/troubleshooting steps.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 11:28 AM   #8
ExZackly
Car Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Edit AFTER viewing your JB Fuse Panel Photo:

MOVE red 10-Amp fuse one spot to LEFT: from "14" spot to "50" spot. F50 is Battery Voltage to dME, and F14 socket is NOT used.

FIRST Steps, since you have ISTA:

1) Read attached pdf: "Fault Memory & Test Plan";
2) See "VIII Saving/Posting ScreenPrints" for HOW to attach ScreenPrints HERE.
3) View, Save & Post ScreenPrint of "Control Unit Tree" as explained/ shown in pages 1-3 of attached pdf.
4) Test (visually & Electrically) fuses F50 & F77, located on your JB Fuse Panel.

All but 4 of your Fault Codes are "Message/communication Faults". We expect to see the DME RED on the Tree, which means that there is NO Communication with that Module. When a Module can't communicate, that means either:
1) No Voltage Supply/ Ground;
2) No Bus Communication (wiring/connector issue);
3) Faulty Module (ASSume ONLY AFTER testing for 1 & 2 above;

Diagnostics take time, thought, & MULTIPLE Steps. Please take the time to UNDERSTAND the steps above and the pdf.
George
Hi George,

You were bang on mate, once the fuse was moved back over it started immediately. I think when the mechanic was testing fuses he must've misplaced it. Now the only error codes I have left are for the fuel pump sensors and JBE no power supply.

Do you have any idea which fuse relates to the JBE?
After reading online I noticed that all the things wrong with my car all point to the JBE (No central locking, No boot access and Fuel gauge faulty)
I think this fuse has been misplaced or potentially blown but on AutoGenius I cant find any fuses relating to the JBE and ISTA is confusing me.

Thank you so much for your help already pal, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by ExZackly; 04-09-2024 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 03:41 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Now the only error codes I have left are for the fuel pump sensors and JBE no power supply. [Since
the Fuel Gauge (2 Tank-Level Sensors), & Central Locking Outputs are ALL powered by the JBE, it is QUITE Possible
that F63, 30-Amp fuse, apparently missing in your photo, is responsible for ALL remaining issues.]
Since you have ISTA, I would HIGHLY Recommend spending some time learning how to use ISTA:
1) As a diagnostic Tool, using "Fault Memory & Test Plan" as described in the pdf attached to Post #6;

2) As a "Shop Manual" to view documents such as Wiring diagrams, Repair Operations, Torque Specs, etc. per the
pdf attached to THIS Post: "ISTA as Shop Manual".

Since ISTA "Test Plan" only appears as related to a particular FAULT in a particular vehicle, YOU can help US by
doing the following BEFORE you put a 30A fuse in F63 Socket on the JB Fuse Panel:
1) Open the Fault Memory Screen in ISTA, that shows "A738" fault for JBE Power Supply Interrupted;

2) Use "Test Plan" to enter the "Flow Chart" sequence where you answer questions & go to "Next Step" in Flow Chart;

3) Make Note of/ Save ScreenPrint of any "SSP Wiring diagram", such as "JBE Supply" SSP attached.

4) See what tests/ questions it asks, and if Test Plan arrives at resolution of the issue(s).

5) THEN, if "ISTA Test Plan" did NOT say to check 30A fuse at F63 Socket on lower-left of JB Fuse Panel, insert fuse,
CLEAR Fault Codes, check for Fuel Gauge & Lock function, or return of Fault Codes.

Please take the time to let us know HOW ISTA Test Plan worked on the "A738" fault. ASSuming your E92 has NO Rear
Power Windows, the attached ISTA Wiring diagram suggests NO need for fuses in F62 & F64 slots. So you can simply
MOVE the 30A fuse in Socket #62 ONE Socket to Right, to Socket #63.

BTW, it appears that both F56 & F57 Fuse sockets are filled, but since both those are indicated as related to Central
Locking, test those IF there is still an issue with Locking AFTER F63 installed.

One LAST Observation:

Do NOT randomly remove fuses. If possible, remove ONLY ONE fuse at a time, ensuring you follow a FUSE CHART
that indicates the function of that single fuse, checking it VISUALLY, and ALSO Electrically (testing continuity between spades).
I have NO IDEA who started the practice of "pulling fuses" to "look at them". There have been MANY such reported cases
which have ALL "Ended Badly" for the owner.
George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf ISTA as Shop Manual.pdf (2.13 MB, 9 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 04:19 PM   #10
ExZackly
Car Noob
Rep

Thank you so much!
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out and you been an absolute lifesaver both times! Central locking/ fuel gauge now work perfectly. I owe you a beer! The world needs more people like you mate
Appreciate 1
gbalthrop2708.00
      04-09-2024, 04:24 PM   #11
chuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07’ 335i Sedan

Wow this thread is interesting new to the bmw modding game n in school for automotive. But this is just ahead of me. What is ISTA?
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 03:09 AM   #12
ExZackly
Car Noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuc View Post
Wow this thread is interesting new to the bmw modding game n in school for automotive. But this is just ahead of me. What is ISTA?
It's a "not free" BMW diagnostic tool. Costs about £20 for a K+DCAN cable (USB one end, OBD the other end) on amazon. Its great, works better than most diagnostic tools. I had a mechanic use a £3,000 Autel and he got the exact same fault codes as I did on a £120 laptop with a £20 cable LOL

There should be a few posts on this forum on how to configure it correctly. Took a lil bit of fiddling but it works so well and is worth it. Save yourself fortunes.

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1fcG4ww02qAgUT

Last edited by ExZackly; 04-10-2024 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:21 AM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
[ISTA] It's a free BMW diagnostic tool...
ISTA is "Dealer-Level BMW Diagnostic Software" PLUS it is a "Shop Manual" which contains DOCUMENTS such as Wiring Diagrams, Component Locations, Connector Views, Repair Operations, Functional Descriptions of HOW systems work, Torque & Fluid Specs, & MORE. You can view those documents WITHOUT being connected to vehicle.

Reading Fault Codes in ALL ~ 20 Modules of your vehicle is ONLY the START of diagnostics. It also displays Freeze Frame data, Live data (INPUTS to a Module from Sensors), and "Triggers"/ Activates electrical motors, solenoids, lights by causing Module to send OUTPUT to that device. It also contains "Test Plan" capability: a "Flow Chart" where your input to question results in a new question or step, and explanatory Documents, to perform "Next Step".

To EXPAND your CONCEPTS on HOW to perform Diagnostics, and the FUNCTIONS that ISTA can perform, see the TWO pdf's attached to Posts #6 & #9 in this thread (above): (1) Fault Memory & Test Plan, & (2) ISTA as Shop Manual. Fault Codes are JUST THE STARTING POINT.
George
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 09:07 AM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuc View Post
It's the current software that BMW dealers use to diagnose, program stuff and fix the car pretty much. There's also ISTA P that is use for coding, but on E9X coding I still use NCS Expert and NCS Dummy, I believe I read ISTA P is a pain to use and can brick if you don't use ICOM but I don't know much about ITA P.

To add to the previous comment, it's not really free, BMW charges 30$ per day, 270$ a month or 2700$ a year to use it. But you can find cracked versions online as I did for mine. And I keep those files on a external hard drive if I ever need to install it on other machines.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 10:57 AM   #15
ExZackly
Car Noob
Rep

Oh sh*t really? I paid like £20 for a link and then I was told it was free and thought that I got scammed. Whoops - sorry BMW xD

Last edited by ExZackly; 04-10-2024 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0