E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW: Supercharged N52 e90 328i - 5/18/12

Closed Thread

08-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #309
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Why isn't Gavin banned from this forum?
      08-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #310
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
I am not implying a 328 is "slow" but we are in a supercharging thread and people are begging for a supercharger so doesn't that imply they obviously admit their cars are in need of more power? So that makes no sense. They are fun out of the box. I had a 330 and loved every second of it.

My point is if you are standing up for your car, than just enjoy it for what it is like I did. Enjoy the silky inlin 6 with great power delivery and great driving dynamics. Don't long for more power or FI in a car that was not designed to do so. Sure its possible but my point is if it is purely more power you long for, than the 328 is not the car for you. Not saying you should get a 335 (I wouldn't) but rather enjoy the car for what it does very well.

If that is not enough for any of you than my point was in that case instead of supercharging go get a factory tuned turbo.

If I could have I would have kept the 330 and the m3 and enjoyed them each for what they do best. I loved driving the 330 in comparison to the 335 so that is why I don't get why people want to boost their 328/330 instead of just enjoying their great driving dynamics and instant throttle response. BUT if that is not enough for you than bail and go for a different car because its not the platform to be looking for a ton of power and that is why NO company has offered a solution for FI
Arma already offered it and apparently failed with their self exploding kits. AA is working on it. They are just trying to tune without a piggy back. They are the only company that I trust would actually come through with a quality kit. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #311
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama
I am not implying a 328 is "slow" but we are in a supercharging thread and people are begging for a supercharger so doesn't that imply they obviously admit their cars are in need of more power? So that makes no sense. They are fun out of the box. I had a 330 and loved every second of it.

My point is if you are standing up for your car, than just enjoy it for what it is like I did. Enjoy the silky inlin 6 with great power delivery and great driving dynamics. Don't long for more power or FI in a car that was not designed to do so. Sure its possible but my point is if it is purely more power you long for, than the 328 is not the car for you. Not saying you should get a 335 (I wouldn't) but rather enjoy the car for what it does very well.

If that is not enough for any of you than my point was in that case instead of supercharging go get a factory tuned turbo.

If I could have I would have kept the 330 and the m3 and enjoyed them each for what they do best. I loved driving the 330 in comparison to the 335 so that is why I don't get why people want to boost their 328/330 instead of just enjoying their great driving dynamics and instant throttle response. BUT if that is not enough for you than bail and go for a different car because its not the platform to be looking for a ton of power and that is why NO company has offered a solution for FI
You know that with an sc, the car will have exactly the same feel and throttle response, due to how the dc works? Right?

In fact due to the boost it would feel somewhat better and more responsive

The reason why no one has done it still a stated here and elsewhere is the ecu sucks ass to tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #312
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I wonder if this could be added to the n54
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #313
SavvyByNature
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 - SO M4

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the ECU. THe new m5 and all the n55 engines have valvetronic, double vanos and even more complex direct inject and tuners have been tuning all of these for sometime. Nothing special or hard about the n52 at this point. It is no market, not a hard ecu to tune.

AA is NOT working on one either so who ever told you that rumor is way off base.

Go for the m3 boys and girls
It's a bit different modifying an ECU already programmed for FI versus one that was not programmed for FI. Also, tuners are doing great things with BMW FI cars, but they are essentially working without the documentation that engineers at BMW readily have access to. So imagine trying to add FI to the N52. An engine that has Mi/Ag and Valvetronic.

Initially, BMW even forgo'ed the valvetronic technology in the N54 engine due to being unable to working out the issues adding it alongside valvetronic. It wasn't until the N55 was released with it. So once again... imagine how difficult it would be for a tuner to solve an issue that even BMW had trouble with.

Lastly, although they haven't 'officially' announced it, AA is most likely working on a SC for N52, a certain AA employee is eluding to it in other threads. The difficulty factor is 10/10 so they most likely won't say anything unless they are successful with it. If they are successful with the N52, it will increase their reputation beyond what it is now.
      08-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #314
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
You know that with an sc, the car will have exactly the same feel and throttle response, due to how the dc works? Right?

In fact due to the boost it would feel somewhat better and more responsive

The reason why no one has done it still a stated here and elsewhere is the ecu sucks ass to tune.
Has nothing to do with the ECU. THe new m5 and all the n55 engines have valvetronic, double vanos and even more complex direct inject and tuners have been tuning all of these for sometime. Nothing special or hard about the n52 at this point. It is no market, not a hard ecu to tune.

AA is NOT working on one either so who ever told you that rumor is way off base.

Go for the m3 boys and girls
Find me ONE single person who has modified their n52 beyond stock and not put in a motec. I challenge you.

M3 where i am is $90k used, a 135/335 is $55k+... But an n52 based car is $25-30
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #315
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport

I'm going with the business reason this won't happen.

ECU tuning, valvetronic, engine block... whatever. When theres a will, theres a way... if it was worth it.

Every NA owner wants to see this happen, but talk is cheap. I doubt any REAL volume would be generated. Even if it did, it would be slow. One or two people buy, everybody waits... the long-questioned reliability aspect can't be answered immediately either. Some will wait for 6-12 months to see if the engine stays 'reliable'.

Meanwhile, cars are depreciating and getting cheaper.
      08-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #316
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90330xiSG
Quote:
Turbo is WAY different than supercharging. Yes Turbo puts an extreme amount of low end torque to the engine components which is why you need a more solid block. Supercharging gradually increasing power and does not add a bunch of torque like a turbo setup so it is not nearly as hard on the engine. It is essentially like putting a bigger engine or a stroker in the car. It simply builds more power with revs and keeps the general power delivery of the stock car.

I used to have an n52. Loved it but I think you need to enjoy it for what it is. It never was and never will be a fast car. It sounds great, is smooth and in the right trim (330/530) it revved right to 7k and pulled until the last second. Unfortunately in the 328 version they choked it at 6400 and it fell off in power after that which was too bad since hitting 7k was most of the fun.

You guys are fooling yourself by making excuses like the ecu is too hard to crack or the valvetronic is too hard etc. The new N55 and all the new turbo V8's have valvetronic and have already been cracked and tuned within weeks of release. The only reason why is simply there is no market. Sure, a few enthusiasts come to this board and probably would put down 4-5 grand for a supercharger but in the scheme of things 99 percent of owners would not. They also can charge way higher prices if they market towards cars like the m3. Just like exhausts cost 2500 for an m3, for piping which would cost 400-700 for the 330. Simply put owners of a 328 are not financially able to pay 10k for a supercharger, and if they are they are the exception. From a business perspective it makes perfect sense-why in the world would you invest in huge Rand D for an extremely limited market and at a price point where you need a huge market, not a small market to recoup costs.

Gavin was around 3 years ago when I had my car and he has been talking about this same thing for 3 years. Its never going to happen in any kind of production form to you guys. He may run some frankenstein supercharger on his own car but anyone that would trust Gavin with the first ever supercharger and tune on their own car would have to be insane and it will never happen anyway.

Really at this point there is no need to do this. The 335 is old enough now where selling the 328 and getting a 335 would be a minimal cost and would get you the performance you want. A used m3 is not even that much at this point
335 = played out. See them everywhere. Now see some of you guys are infamous for being the typical 335 douche. Not even the m3 board is that bad, only because you guys share e90post with the 320, 325, 328, and 330 SOME of you get too big-headed. Get over yourselves, honestly. Now the 325 and 328 might be slower COMPARED to the rest but regardless they aren't slow cars. And who do you think you are boasting, ALMOST EVERYONE on the forum does EXTERIOR MODS anyways..flash stuff around just because you guys splurged on a higher trim...And don't think you guys are all that special, anyone can have a 335 now with BMWs lease steals. Heck, I see old women driving 335. My friends aunt who knows nothing about cars has a 335. Truth is...your still not as unique as a M3 if you think your on their level. Anyone who has a 325i or a 328i and keeps their badge on, with all their mods and everything..I have respect for. Take your badge off...than I will think you don't appreciate your BMW. Other day I saw a 328i trying to pull off the m3 look...do something different like distant quads. Don't try to be something your not. But to every man his own. You can't stop ALL the douches...especially SOME of the 335 guys.
Not to be the trolling guy .. I stay updated on this because I would have purchased this if it had come to life in my time owning a n52 but ..granted the 335i isn't a "rare" car it certainly isn't and will never be as popular as the 328i, $375 a month gets you one and they are certainly more popular then a 335i ... I try to look for 335i's now since I own one and I don't see them like I saw the n52 cars... Let's be real the n52 for most people out there not us enthusiast, is a cheap way to own a awesome car .. It's like every girl owns a Mercedes Benz c300 it's a cheap way to own German engineering in reality and they aren't built to be race cars or any type of fast.. And they are slow I had a 325i you can see all the modifications I had in my signature below... I lost to a 35 year old in a Jetta with minor modifications for god sake a Nissan murano and a dodge caravan stayed right up against me and it was embarrassing... That being said when I had my 325i I thought the 335i guys were trolling but now I see their point of view .... And there isn't any way to describe it .. The n54 has won the best engine of the year award for many years I believe 6 now its an awesome engine easily modified and makes great power cheap... My n52 would have been kept as a daily driver for the reliability it somewhat had minus the small issues it constantly had.. It was a badass car after 8-10k was put in to it .... I hope this setup comes out for all of you guys thinking it will and depending on it.. The scion frs certainly is not out there as much as the n52 yet sorry... Subaru limited production first year to 6k and Toyota has no limit but next time your driving tell me how many 328i cars you see then frs and tell me I'm wrong I'm not here to argue just simply state there is a point behind the madness of the "trolling" 335i guys... My grandmother as a 335i convertible .. But a lot more grandmothers have a 328i and making fun of how played out a 335i is .. Is making fun of yourself .. The n52 platform has sold way more then the the n54 platform at least on the 3 series level
      08-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #317
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

^thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #318
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo330i View Post
Let's be real the n52 for most people out there not us enthusiast, is a cheap way to own a awesome car .. It's like every girl owns a Mercedes Benz c300 it's a cheap way to own German engineering in reality and they aren't built to be race cars or any type of fast.. And they are slow I had a 325i you can see all the modifications I had in my signature below... I lost to a 35 year old in a Jetta with minor modifications for god sake a Nissan murano and a dodge caravan stayed right up against me and it was embarrassing...
335 is not a played-out car at all. It's a beast on it owns and I'd love to own one in the future. With that said:

1. BMWs, whether a 325, 328, 330, 335 are not cheap. There are a lot more excellent cars out there besides BMW, have a lot more options and still cheaper than n52 cars

2. C300 is not a cheap way to own German engineering. Are you kidding me? I understand you own a BMW, but come on now buddy, stop fooling yourself.

3. You shouldn't be racing whether in n52 or n54 or n55. You should be embarrassed to even race a dodge caravan. Explore around the site for tracking options.

4. It is OKAY for an enthusiast to own n52 engine.

5. 35 year old was a better driver than you.

6. Keep everyone's budget and position in mind before you start calling everything else a cheap option if it's not what you own. Quite immature to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #319
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

In australia at least, there's 5x 335/135's for sale, but only 20 330/130's... Either no one wants to sell their n52's or theres WAY more n54's

Pity.

If theres good mods in the next 5 years i'll grab them... If not, oh well, i'll have something much faster by then anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #320
capo1m
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo330i View Post
Let's be real the n52 for most people out there not us enthusiast, is a cheap way to own a awesome car .. It's like every girl owns a Mercedes Benz c300 it's a cheap way to own German engineering in reality and they aren't built to be race cars or any type of fast.. And they are slow I had a 325i you can see all the modifications I had in my signature below... I lost to a 35 year old in a Jetta with minor modifications for god sake a Nissan murano and a dodge caravan stayed right up against me and it was embarrassing...
335 is not a played-out car at all. It's a beast on it owns and I'd love to own one in the future. With that said:

1. BMWs, whether a 325, 328, 330, 335 are not cheap. There are a lot more excellent cars out there besides BMW, have a lot more options and still cheaper than n52 cars

2. C300 is not a cheap way to own German engineering. Are you kidding me? I understand you own a BMW, but come on now buddy, stop fooling yourself.

3. You shouldn't be racing whether in n52 or n54 or n55. You should be embarrassed to even race a dodge caravan. Explore around the site for tracking options.

4. It is OKAY for an enthusiast to own n52 engine.

5. 35 year old was a better driver than you.

6. Keep everyone's budget and position in mind before you start calling everything else a cheap option if it's not what you own. Quite immature to be honest.
Unfortunately i don't have 35k for the minimum entry to my local track (Monticello) at least from what I have been told by a local well know BMW shop that's what it is, I also know people that pick up left over c300 for 28k which a brand new Mercedes should never cost IMO sorry... I am keeping everyone's budget in mind but if you have the money for a supercharger and install then you should have the money for a 335i maybe not with 30k miles but 50k miles which isnt that bad.. I'm talking cost effective wise it makes more since which is why I did the swap .. I just don't think this project makes sense any which way you put it.. I am honestly not trying to argue I'm bringing valid points to the table for discussion as the point of this forum is to do that.. There are deals out there and from a financial point of view and probably a reliability point of view a 335i comes with CPO or warranty and you have plenty of power, supercharge your n52 you have no warranty and if you are worried about buying a new car gear up for a new engine sooner then later and that would cost the same as the upgrade right or wrong? Or all the parts that will fail with this setup..eventually..
      08-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #321
capo1m
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
In australia at least, there's 5x 335/135's for sale, but only 20 330/130's... Either no one wants to sell their n52's or theres WAY more n54's

Pity.

If theres good mods in the next 5 years i'll grab them... If not, oh well, i'll have something much faster by then anyway
Where I live it took a month to find a 335i with everything I wanted where each dealership had 5 328i's that matched my criteria
And I couldn't find a single 135i other then a gold convertible , this is what I was shooting for .. But every area is different.
      08-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #322
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Crickets.....

MMW= Joke
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #323
LLinxuS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [9.28]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
Crickets.....

MMW= Joke
So many trolls in here. Do any of you have money invested in the supercharger? If not then I believe you guys have zero say.

He is trying to build a quality product. If you guys want some cheap and rushed supercharger I recommend looking into ARMA. We all know how well that turned out.

Move along people. I'm sure most of the trolls in here would never even buy the application regardless of when it is released.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #324
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
I just came back in here to check for new trolling
      08-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #325
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Not a troll sorry guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #326
capo1m
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuS
Quote:
Crickets.....

MMW= Joke
So many trolls in here. Do any of you have money invested in the supercharger? If not then I believe you guys have zero say.

He is trying to build a quality product. If you guys want some cheap and rushed supercharger I recommend looking into ARMA. We all know how well that turned out.

Move along people. I'm sure most of the trolls in here would never even buy the application regardless of when it is released.
Arma made it into BMW performance magazine on there 528i application and at this rate of updating news who knows this hasn't happened to the mmw supercharger? And I wouldn't be surprise that a sc n52 blows up back to the point they aren't made to take it and even if they were there will always be the occasional blow of for a variety of reasons.... I am going to believe something that exists and has been talked about in a reputable magazine..
      08-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #327
capo1m
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuS
Quote:
Crickets.....

MMW= Joke

Arma made it into BMW performance magazine on there 528i application and at this rate of updating news who knows this hasn't happened to the mmw supercharger? And I wouldn't be surprise that a sc n52 blows up back to the point they aren't made to take it and even if they were there will always be the occasional blow up for a variety of reasons.... I am going to believe something that exists and has been talked about in a reputable magazine..
      08-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #328
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

I'm not sure why everyone feels like Gavin is trolling us. I'm sure the supercharger kit is real and very slowly coming along. But then again, half the guys on this thread are not even interested in buying one so why does Gavin feel like he's obligated to post small updates every week or something along those lines? I'm sure when the supercharger is finished, he will post updates if he has any. I don't see a reason why Gavin needs to hide.
Anyhow, if you guys are still looking for another supercharge thread, you may wanna check out AA. They have a supercharger coming along, everything's done except the software.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread