E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

12-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #485
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy bastard View Post
You may have some problems if you try to do it this way
It's not a russian way anyway
      01-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #486
williocom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO M3

has there been any update on this yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #487
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

I am in the process of procuring parts to do this....although I understand this project is stalled. I am waiting for console trim (currently on the slow-boat from Germany.)

I had a question to Technic, Longtran, or whoever...

Did anyone try purchasing the "enabler" code sold by BMW to enable nav/voice control?? p/n: 65 83 9 166 914 - my guess is its around $500 US, but then what? Is this what all the hubbub is about in keeping the FSC so secret and secure, so BMW could just make money on those who want to retrofit?

Also, I have the CID/CAN connector on order (not sure if its the right one yet), but since my CID didn't come with the harness pigtail, my BMW acquaintances had to do some research.. I understand that the 8-pin connector for the CID (bare, no pins) is 6113 6 954 526 - if this helps anyone, great. I'll have it in my hands shortly to confirm its correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #488
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I know about his attempts. (And I would be raising holy hell with BMWNA for not supplying me with codes (as promised) with the purchase of a new CIC.)

However, the part numbers are available (for sale) for FSC's - for "repair" and "enabling", with and without voice control..these p/n's are listed for a reason... just curious if anyone has attempted this method of FSC procurement.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 03:47 AM   #489
Håvard
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i BMW e36 M3 Coupe

I hope this can be done!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #490
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Yeah, I know about his attempts. (And I would be raising holy hell with BMWNA for not supplying me with codes (as promised) with the purchase of a new CIC.)

However, the part numbers are available (for sale) for FSC's - for "repair" and "enabling", with and without voice control..these p/n's are listed for a reason... just curious if anyone has attempted this method of FSC procurement.
Those FSC P/N (price is listed at one cent each) are to be submitted with the P/N of the CIC and the order number (which in turn includes the dealer number, and the VIN) so somebody at somewhere in BMW can generate those security codes and add them to their "Aftersales Portal" database. When the dealer is ready to load those FSC codes into the CIC, they just log into that Aftersales Portal system, enter the VIN number and the FSC codes (3 data files plus a pdf) should be posted to download.

This is the way of getting the FSC codes for free just because every CIC order includes a set of FSC codes at no cost, as long as the VIN in the order has a CIC installed as original equipment. The question that BMWNA and nobody at any dealer contacted can answer is the part of a customer or the dealer paying for those codes because the VIN does not have the CIC installed as original equipment, as in retrofit.

When you enter a VIN number without a CIC as original equipment the Aftersales Portal will prompt the message:

- No delivery possible. Please check part number.

Which means:

- The delivery of this Enable Code is not legally allowed. A retried order will have the same result. Please check the part number for purpose of use (Retrofit vs. Repair).

Frequently cause of error:

- The car dealer ordered a Repair Enable Code (free of charge), but the car doesn't have this option/function. To retrofit this option/function the car dealer needs to order the Retrofit Enable Code (pay costs) (different part numbers!).

Three local dealers tried this process with the same result: No delivery possible. As expected. However, none of the dealers knew how to perform the "pay cost" process. BMWNA tried to help but only in their own procedural way: they only go back and contact the same dealers that I contacted, they do not contact their own technical department.

So their answer was the same: no, can't do for non-original equipment.

And still the question remains: what is this pay costs crap and how to actually pay for the suckers when what we are talking about is a RETROFIT?????
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #491
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Pony

We have an E63, in which navigation was activated just "dealer" method through FSC-activation by ISTA-P
      01-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #492
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
We have an E63, in which navigation was activated just "dealer" method through FSC-activation by ISTA-P
But an E63 is a Mercedes Benz... what's the relevance to the BMW FSC procedures?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #493
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
But an E63 is a Mercedes Benz... what's the relevance to the BMW FSC procedures?
E63 is the 6er coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #494
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
E63 is the 6er coupe.
Ummm... I thought that only 3-Series owners call their cars by their E chassis code. I guess that in Russia is different.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #495
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Ummm... I thought that only 3-Series owners call their cars by their E chassis code. I guess that in Russia is different.

Thanks.
lol I work with these cars as the technique every day, and how can I name them?))))
btw: We can unlock CIC's tv- and dvd-picture in moving))
      01-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #496
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
lol I work with these cars as the technique every day, and how can I name them?))))
btw: We can unlock CIC's tv- and dvd-picture in moving))
What about explaining how a dealer can order FSC codes for retrofit of non-original equipment paying the costs? And if so, how much are those costs?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #497
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

...or...telling us how the Russian guys "get" codes to work...what is the process if BMW is not involved since they obviously don't want (more of) our money..?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #498
whgmkeller
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 525D-A 2005 (E60)

I just bought a 525D from June 2005. My first 5 after having driven several 3-series models. A world of change, indeed !

What bugs me though, is that I cannot see the street addresses on my smart-phone - just the phone-numbers - and that I can't play music from my smart-phone - I need to install an iPod interface instead.

Both these things are caused by the older iDrive system that's installed in the car..... So, I too would really like to be able to upgrade to the new iDrive system.

I keep my fingers crossed that sometime this year this will become possible. Until then, I've subscribed to this forum :-)

Greetz, Willem, Netherlands.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #499
Fluffy bastard
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Guys, this is probably exactly so, how much money you're willing to pay for it
      01-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #500
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Guys, this is probably exactly so, how much money you're willing to pay for it
Just PM you price (enabling codes for Nav and Voice) and details on how to load them if the price is reasonable, please.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #501
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

CIC E90/92 retrofit started

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Did you ever get this working or did it just die in frustration?
Yep, today the retrofit begins. Before any parts are swapped out we have updated the whole car (18 units) including old CCC as this will be upto date for the next car. All modules completed.

The New gen controller works OK on CCC (now the software is updated) and this on its own is a great upgrade to old CCC units..

Will install:

CIC
CID (HD)
Controller

Make USB looms

Once above is done I will report back.

Should work out the box, then we can look at coding & updates.

Once thats done then the enabling codes will be addressed.

CIC has internal DAB so should be activated.
Will need coding for BT/USB (ipod), + other car features that use I Drive screen (heating/seats + ).

The fun begins but hope to have it done before the weeks out.

Mark

Cartronics GB

http://www.cartronics.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #502
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronics GB View Post
Yep, today the retrofit begins. Before any parts are swapped out we have updated the whole car (18 units) including old CCC as this will be upto date for the next car. All modules completed.

The New gen controller works OK on CCC (now the software is updated) and this on its own is a great upgrade to old CCC units..

Will install:

CIC
CID (HD)
Controller

Make USB looms

Once above is done I will report back.

Once thats done then the enabling codes will be addressed.

CIC has internal DAB so should be activated.
Will need coding for BT/USB (ipod), + other car features that use I Drive screen (heating/seats + ).

The fun begins but hope to have it done before the weeks out.

Mark

Cartronics GB

http://www.cartronics.co.uk
GL with your project.
I look forward to seeing how it goes with the Navigation and Voice Control activation.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #503
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

You will see something like this (USA version): new CIC (no programming at all yet), HD Screen cable, controller and console, used HD Screen and USB cable.

Legal screenshot...

Main menu (Navigation grayed out as it is not enabled)...

HD Radio...

HDD with 30+ MP3 songs already downloaded (320kps) thru the USB port...

Vehicle status (note that the vehicle shown is a Z4, once the CIC is properly programmed an E90 M3 will be shown)...

DVD -screw Twilight... bring fricking Blade to kill some suckers!!

MentholGuy's reverse camera for 2009 iDrive...

Assist/Bluetooth fully functional:

Notes for installation:

- CIC plugs right into the CCC Quadralock connector, Radio and GPS antenna.
- HD Screen installs -and uses same screws- in the dash as non-HD Screen. HD Screen requires new video cable and new Power/CAN connector, though:

HD Screen (CIC) on the left, non-HD Screen (CCC) on the right:

HD Screen video cable jack (round, 4 wires), Power/CAN jack (rectangular, pins #1-8 in a single row):

non-HD Screen video cable jack (rectangular, 8-wires):

non-HD Screen Power/CAN jack (rectangular, pins #1-12 in double rows):

The good news is that the Power/CAN wires (4 wires total) are exactly the same between the two different connectors, and they are located in exactly the same pin slots in both connectors (1, 3, 5 and 6).

The slot numbers are molded in the connectors and inside the connector jack (with the male pins) on each screen.

So it is a matter of getting the new connector with the used HD Screen (if possible) and removing the wires on by one from the existing double row connector and inserting each wire in exactly the respective slot in the new single row connector -wire in slot #1 from double row goes in slot #1 in single row connector, and so on.

Old, double row connector:

New, single row connector (bottom of photo, with USB port, USB cable and old double row connector with locking sleeve):

If you cannot get that single row connector with your used HD Screen (most junkers sell the HD Screen with the connector and the wires cut) then a shitty solution -until you can get the proper connector, no P/N is available yet- could be either wrapping each pin with electrical tape or with shrink tubing and just plug each female jack into their respective male pins of the HD Screen (again, 1 to 1, 3 to 3, 5 to 5, and 6 to 6):

The elusive USB cable (no P/N is available so far):

The video cable looks exactly the same as the USB cable but without that built-in circuitry/filter bump shown with the velcro wrapper above.

USB mount in glovebox is already made, just covered with a plastic plug...

... just pry it out:

And insert the USB port (no need to remove glovebox, just "fish" the cable from the CIC area before installing it):

All connectors are color coded except the Power/CAN connector...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #504
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You will see something like this (USA version): new CIC (no programming at all yet), HD Screen cable, controller and console, used HD Screen and USB cable.

Legal screenshot...

Main menu (Navigation grayed out as it is not enabled)...

HD Radio...

HDD with 30+ MP3 songs already downloaded (320kps) thru the USB port...

Vehicle status (note that the vehicle shown is a Z4, once the CIC is properly programmed an E90 M3 will be shown)...

DVD -screw Twilight... bring fricking Blade to kill some suckers!!

MentholGuy's reverse camera for 2009 iDrive...

Assist/Bluetooth fully functional:

Notes for installation:

- CIC plugs right into the CCC Quadralock connector, Radio and GPS antenna.
- HD Screen installs -and uses same screws- in the dash as non-HD Screen. HD Screen requires new video cable and new Power/CAN connector, though:

HD Screen (CIC) on the left, non-HD Screen (CCC) on the right:

HD Screen video cable jack (round, 4 wires), Power/CAN jack (rectangular, pins #1-8 in a single row):

non-HD Screen video cable jack (rectangular, 8-wires):

non-HD Screen Power/CAN jack (rectangular, pins #1-12 in double rows):

The good news is that the Power/CAN wires (4 wires total) are exactly the same between the two different connectors, and they are located in exactly the same pin slots in both connectors (1, 3, 5 and 6).

The slot numbers are molded in the connectors and inside the connector jack (with the male pins) on each screen.

So it is a matter of getting the new connector with the used HD Screen (if possible) and removing the wires on by one from the existing double row connector and inserting each wire in exactly the respective slot in the new single row connector -wire in slot #1 from double row goes in slot #1 in single row connector, and so on.

Old, double row connector:

New, single row connector (bottom of photo, with USB port, USB cable and old double row connector with locking sleeve):

If you cannot get that single row connector with your used HD Screen (most junkers sell the HD Screen with the connector and the wires cut) then a shitty solution -until you can get the proper connector, no P/N is available yet- could be either wrapping each pin with electrical tape or with shrink tubing and just plug each female jack into their respective male pins of the HD Screen (again, 1 to 1, 3 to 3, 5 to 5, and 6 to 6):

The elusive USB cable (no P/N is available so far):

The video cable looks exactly the same as the USB cable but without that built-in circuitry/filter bump shown with the velcro wrapper above.

USB mount in glovebox is already made, just covered with a plastic plug...

... just pry it out:

And insert the USB port (no need to remove glovebox, just "fish" the cable from the CIC area before installing it):

All connectors are color coded except the Power/CAN connector...
Question for you, what part number do you have for the CIC screen? I have a part number that BMW do not recognise(?) with the 8 pin connector .

Also do you have pin outs for the CID screen .. I can see your picture but would like to check:
Pin
? = 12V+
? + 12V-
? = CAN (H)
? = CAN (L)

for some strange reason I can not locate the above, saves me a little searching tommorow.

Also on the reverse camera, was that the previous installed BMW camera (ie for the CCC) and if so is it using the input on the Quad Lock?

Plan to install a TV module on the CIC and as this will use the Quad input I need to locate (if BMW do one for the CIC) the LVDS box to allow multi inputs (all round cams, night vision etc) and part numbers would be great.

Will let you know how coding problems pan out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #505
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Question for you, what part number do you have for the CIC screen? I have a part number that BMW do not recognise(?) with the 8 pin connector .
- P/N 65 82 9 193 745

Quote:
Also do you have pin outs for the CID screen .. I can see your picture but would like to check:
Pin
? = 12V+
? + 12V-
? = CAN (H)
? = CAN (L)

for some strange reason I can not locate the above, saves me a little searching tommorow.
Right now I do not have the exact assignments but the pins used are 1, 3 , 5 and 6. The connection is simple: remove one pin at a time from the old CID connector (2-row, 12-pin) slot (record the slot number) and insert that pin in the same exact slot number of the new HD CID connector (1-row, 8-pins).

Pin 1 old connector = pin 1 new connector and so on.

Quote:
Also on the reverse camera, was that the previous installed BMW camera (ie for the CCC) and if so is it using the input on the Quad Lock?
This is an aftermarket rear camera module... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324134

... connected to the CIC Quadralock using my own plug and play harness:

Quote:
Plan to install a TV module on the CIC and as this will use the Quad input I need to locate (if BMW do one for the CIC) the LVDS box to allow multi inputs (all round cams, night vision etc) and part numbers would be great.
That multimedia interface can give you all that...

Quote:
Will let you know how coding problems pan out.
Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #506
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
- P/N 65 82 9 193 745

Right now I do not have the exact assignments but the pins used are 1, 3 , 5 and 6. The connection is simple: remove one pin at a time from the old CID connector (2-row, 12-pin) slot (record the slot number) and insert that pin in the same exact slot number of the new HD CID connector (1-row, 8-pins).

Pin 1 old connector = pin 1 new connector and so on.

This is an aftermarket rear camera module... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324134

... connected to the CIC Quadralock using my own plug and play harness:

That multimedia interface can give you all that...

Thanks...
On the rear camera, did you code the CIC(CCC) for reverse camera (ie when you go into reverse is the CIC looking for input on the pins)?
Or do you use a Can Bus signal (from your interface) to tell the CIC (CCC) that the camera is on?

Many thanks for info.

Mark
Appreciate 0