E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > US Air Intake Mod (EURO MOD) Pics Inside.

12-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #45
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

FYI im selling the box! so pm me if u want
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #46
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Why are you selling?

I have ordered the following parts:

The Spectre 8148 3" flange.
The Spectre P4 red cone filter.

I know the P4 will not fit in the stock box as a plug & play mod. But after checking things out carefully, I think I may fit it in with some fabrication of the flange.

My plan is to make a 3" to 3.5" (or 3' to 4") offset and angled coupler.

The P4 will take a 3", 3.5" or 4" intake, so it has some flexibility. By my estimate, it has almost twice the surface area than the drop in filter.

If the P4 does not fit, I will go back to my aFe drop in.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #47
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclubs View Post
Why are you selling?

I have ordered the following parts:

The Spectre 8148 3" flange.
The Spectre P4 red cone filter.

I know the P4 will not fit in the stock box as a plug & play mod. But after checking things out carefully, I think I may fit it in with some fabrication of the flange.

My plan is to make a 3" to 3.5" (or 3' to 4") offset and angled coupler.

The P4 will take a 3", 3.5" or 4" intake, so it has some flexibility. By my estimate, it has almost twice the surface area than the drop in filter.

If the P4 does not fit, I will go back to my aFe drop in.
PICS I CANT WAIT
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #48
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Slow down grasshopper. I only ordered parts so far.

Why are you selling?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #49
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Slow down grasshopper. I only ordered parts so far.

Why are you selling?
Cause i wanan make another one. Just this time with a cool lil feature on the open vent in the front of the box
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #50
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
Cause i wanan make another one. Just this time with a cool lil feature on the open vent in the front of the box
I thought the vent could use some help. Could have easily used a small sanding wheel to cut some thin slots there. On the other hand you can still buy a screened drain cap to plug the hole to make it look very nice.

A round hole is much easier to drill and looks good.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #51
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
ive been DJ Apex since 2002 when i use to dj lol

Apex was a term used from my motor i rebuilt at the time.
Even had few mix tapes called Apex Seal Mixes!
Another Rx7 guy turned Bimmerphile. No wonder you don't mind getting your hands dirty with these mods, you have a Rex to fix every other weekend like myself. (3 of them actually).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #52
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Another Rx7 guy turned Bimmerphile. No wonder you don't mind getting your hands dirty with these mods, you have a Rex to fix every other weekend like myself. (3 of them actually).
yes em ! Two Fc's and one 302 FB
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #53
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK the Spectre P4 did not work out, even though on paper it is only 1/2" longer than the P3 used by Apex, the stock air box had proven to be too unfriendly to a cone filter.

I did some research on the K&N round filters with offset flanges, even made some paper cutouts. I know one largest model that will fit, it is 7" OD, 4" height (filter media) with one offset 3" intake. But even this largest round filter will not increase the surface area by much, compared to the drop in filter.

Since the stock air box is designed for the flat drop in filter, I must give up and continue to use the aFe blue high flow drop in. Maybe someday when the price of the new aFe stage 2 drops down, I will get one.

BTW, I do have the Dinan Ram Air Intake style air duct drawing cold air from the brake duct, so I have no complaint about my intake at this point.

Last edited by adamsclubs; 12-31-2011 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 01:41 AM   #54
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK the Spectre P4 did not work out, even though on paper it is only 1/2" longer than the P3 used by Apex, the stock air box had proven to be too unfriendly to a cone filter.

I did some research on the K&N round filters with offset flanges, even made some paper cutouts. I know one largest model that will fit, it is 7" OD, 4" height (filter media) with one offset 3" intake. But even this largest round filter will not increase the surface area by much, compared to the drop in filter.

Since the stock air box is designed for the flat drop in filter, I must give up and continue to use the aFe blue high flow drop in. Maybe someday when the price of the new aFe stage 2 drops down, I will get one.

BTW, I do have the Dinan Ram Air Intake style air duct drawing cold air from the brake duct, so I have no complaint about my intake at this point.
so how much surface area of the stock euro drop in filters are?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #55
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
so how much surface area of the stock euro drop in filters are?
What are its dimemsions? The flat drop-in is about 60 square inches by my estimation.

I was so close with the P4 but that stupid ridge (you know what I am talking about) in the airbox got in the way. The thing is, that ridge has no purpose in there that I could see. The P4 has more than 110 square inches of surface.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #56
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I found the dimensions of the Euro round filter, K&N #E-2022. Based on the specs, it should have the similar surface area than the P4, which is also the similar surface area for the filter in the new aFe Magnum Stage2 Intake. According to aFe, the increased air flow area is about 56% more than the flat drop in filter.

The issue with the Euro Airbox is, it does not increase the air flow inlet track size. We now have three versions of modified intake:

The BMW Performance Intake,
The Dinan Ram Air Kit, and
The new aFe Magnum Stage2.

All three of them increase the size of the air inlet tracks to accommodate the high flow air filters.

However, I think only the Dinan style intake will work with air scoops, if you use the air scoops. The other two have vents which will bleed out any added air pressure (however big or small it maybe) generated by air scoops at highway speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #57
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

I'm working on creating my own version of this as well. Instead of having to use two of the 3" spectre flanges (because of the small gap around the edges in the stock box) I looked and found a 4" inlet flange that I am hoping will work instead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details Now if the damn thing will ever ship..

I looked on K&N's website and there are a couple filters in there that I believe will work. I'm just waiting until I get the 4" flange and see if it will cover the hole in the box completely before going forward with it. I plan on using some rubber gasket between the flange and the box to make it air tight. IF the 4" part works, the added benefit will be the smooth air intake tract in the box, and no need to worry about the mas possibly being affected from disrupted airflow.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #58
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

excellent work -
that's the way to do it.
      01-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #59
Tukansam
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 323i

Quote:
Anyone else willing to sell me there stock box?
I will....how much? I can ship anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #60
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I'm working on creating my own version of this as well. Instead of having to use two of the 3" spectre flanges (because of the small gap around the edges in the stock box) I looked and found a 4" inlet flange that I am hoping will work instead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details Now if the damn thing will ever ship..

I looked on K&N's website and there are a couple filters in there that I believe will work. I'm just waiting until I get the 4" flange and see if it will cover the hole in the box completely before going forward with it. I plan on using some rubber gasket between the flange and the box to make it air tight. IF the 4" part works, the added benefit will be the smooth air intake tract in the box, and no need to worry about the mas possibly being affected from disrupted airflow.
Nice excited to see pics im also adding a home made ram air inlet on the side of the box
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #61
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Axis, the 3" duct is air tight. The gap you see in the picture has no impact.

I had tried a 4" ABS coupler (actually a 3" coupler with 3.5" ID), could not fit in the tight space.

Apex's mod is the best you can get with the stock box.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #62
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I had tried a 4" ABS coupler (actually a 3" coupler with 3.5" ID), could not fit in the tight space.

not to mention i tryed over 8 filters from local auto parts
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #63
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I know the K&N round filter I mentioned earlier will fit, unfortunately it does not have the inverse filter screen at the top, otherwise I think it would have the most surface area to fit in the stock box.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #64
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know the K&N round filter I mentioned earlier will fit, unfortunately it does not have the inverse filter screen at the top, otherwise I think it would have the most surface area to fit in the stock box.
im in the process of trying new filters with adaptors that fit the inverse filter on top. So its still a close element box pulling air from from scoops and ram kits im making
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #65
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:

I am referring to how two of the plastic 3" adapters had to be used in order to make an air tight seal. There is a slight gap around the square base of the adapter that makes using two a necessity. I am hoping the 4" one will cover it completely. Check the picture. The red box is where i'm thinking the 4" adapter I bought should cover the gap. You can see the gap I am referring to with the green arrow. And the filters I am looking at with the 4" fitament are available in the same range of width / length as the 3" inlet one, so there shouldn't be any problems there either.
Attached Images

Last edited by axis; 01-06-2012 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: forgot the pic
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #66
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I am referring to how two of the plastic 3" adapters had to be used in order to make an air tight seal. There is a slight gap around the square base of the adapter that makes using two a necessity. I am hoping the 4" one will cover it completely. Check the picture. The red box is where i'm thinking the 4" adapter I bought should cover the gap. You can see the gap I am referring to with the green arrow. And the filters I am looking at with the 4" fitament are available in the same range of width / length as the 3" inlet one, so there shouldn't be any problems there either.
oh i see what your trying to do! i dont see why that wont work
Appreciate 0