E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Water in passenger floor, not the usual suspect

07-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
saxguy09
Rep
Drives: 1991 e30 s14 swap, e90 330i

Water in passenger floor, not the usual suspect

After some heavy rain, I noticed some water in the passenger floor right by the door. I also noticed a "stream" down into the floor from the door seal. I checked the usual problems (windshield seal, sunroof, moisture barrier) and they didn't seem to be the problem. It seems as if the outer door seal (the one that closes up against the trim/guttering isn't making full contact with the gutters. I assumed the seals would catch the water entering the door this way but a stream of water is visible down and around the seal and down the door frame (on the felt liner) and into the floorboard. Does anyone have any experience with a leak such as this?

I can post pictures later.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
drGK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335 xi

I don't know if it applies to bmws but wet carpet was found in our lexus ( passenger side) and chevy suburban ( drive and passenger) in both cases the cause was clogged AC drain tube. Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
saxguy09
Rep
Drives: 1991 e30 s14 swap, e90 330i

Thanks! I finally figured it out today. Turns out it was the usual suspect. The O-ring style gasket for the cabin air filter came out and was pinched, allowing water to come in. Somewhere along the way, the water was reverted to the door frame and into the floor board, making it seem that it was a door seal.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
D3oneO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy09 View Post
After some heavy rain, I noticed some water in the passenger floor right by the door. I also noticed a "stream" down into the floor from the door seal. I checked the usual problems (windshield seal, sunroof, moisture barrier) and they didn't seem to be the problem. It seems as if the outer door seal (the one that closes up against the trim/guttering isn't making full contact with the gutters. I assumed the seals would catch the water entering the door this way but a stream of water is visible down and around the seal and down the door frame (on the felt liner) and into the floorboard. Does anyone have any experience with a leak such as this?

I can post pictures later.

Thanks
I have the exact same problem. I'll be sure to check the seal.
Appreciate 0