E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > D1S Factory Xenon Upgrade Bulbs

10-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i Individual

D1S Factory Xenon Upgrade Bulbs

Afternoon all.

Anyone running any upgraded bulbs (5000k or 6000k) on there e92 xenons? or recommend any? pics would be great .

I brought a set of d1s bulbs 6000k from teddy at ssdd late June so only 4 months old. Very disappointed with the product, i know everyone says his products are top notch but this time it was poor.

i thought buying from a forum sponser rather than ebay i would get a better quality product. When they arrived the bulbs were those exactly found on ebay from the far east. Although teddy offered me a minor refund as i found the exact ones cheaper on ebay (even with the evot forum discount) i was still disappointed, if i wanted a product like that i would have gone on ebay myself.

For the past few weeks the driver side bulb started to flicker and not light, yesterday that bulb completely went. i emailed teddy yesterday so hopefully i will get it replaced under the usual 12months warranty.

I am still on the look out for an alternative bulb even if/when i get the replacement. colour wise 6000k should be a diamond white, but these from ssdd have a very distinct aqua colour. At night they look ok but say at dusk when the lights come on on auto they look cheap.

If you aint guessed, im not happy. only 4 months old, we all know changing the bulbs on an e92 aint a 2min job.

anyone running 5000k bulbs? ... looking at these as im after a crisp white with no aqua blue hue.

thanks
      10-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
6000k is a definite blue hint.

OEM is 4300k and that's as white as it gets. Maybe try 5000k if you want something a bit crisper?
      10-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Osram Cool Blue Intense 5000k D1S bulbs

I swapped out my oem bulbs for Osram CBI bulbs.

With OEM, I would get shadows cast by the cars behind as their lights were brighter than mine.

That doesn't happen anymore with these Osram bulbs.

Brighter than stock further out in front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I have seen them cbi bulbs 5000k, quite pricey mind. Whats the colour like? Worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
I swapped out my oem bulbs for Osram CBI bulbs.

With OEM, I would get shadows cast by the cars behind as their lights were brighter than mine.

That doesn't happen anymore with these Osram bulbs.

Brighter than stock further out in front of the car.
      10-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROW View Post
Afternoon all.

Anyone running any upgraded bulbs (5000k or 6000k) on there e92 xenons? or recommend any? pics would be great .

I brought a set of d1s bulbs 6000k from teddy at ssdd late June so only 4 months old. Very disappointed with the product, i know everyone says his products are top notch but this time it was poor.

i thought buying from a forum sponser rather than ebay i would get a better quality product. When they arrived the bulbs were those exactly found on ebay from the far east. Although teddy offered me a minor refund as i found the exact ones cheaper on ebay (even with the evot forum discount) i was still disappointed, if i wanted a product like that i would have gone on ebay myself.

For the past few weeks the driver side bulb started to flicker and not light, yesterday that bulb completely went. i emailed teddy yesterday so hopefully i will get it replaced under the usual 12months warranty.

I am still on the look out for an alternative bulb even if/when i get the replacement. colour wise 6000k should be a diamond white, but these from ssdd have a very distinct aqua colour. At night they look ok but say at dusk when the lights come on on auto they look cheap.

If you aint guessed, im not happy. only 4 months old, we all know changing the bulbs on an e92 aint a 2min job.

anyone running 5000k bulbs? ... looking at these as im after a crisp white with no aqua blue hue.

thanks
hi mate just stumbled across your post, i had a bulb blow on me so decided like you to contact ssdd and order the bulbs, when ordered in 600k i asked what brand they are and he quoted that they use their own brand and get them manufactured (online looked like their own packaging in pics). I asked for branded and he said they dont do them as too many fakes out there etc. low and behold when the delivery arrived, they were in a japanese/chinese package and once fitted after hours and loads of cuts and bruises, the bulbs had a blue tint to them, i asked for pure white and made sure i ordered the correct bulb, however not entirely satisfied,

did not complain or ask for refund as still beats bmw's price of 160 per bulb, and must admit at night on motorways etc it lights up the road much better than the stock bulbs.

I heard the phillips bulbs are quite good but not seen in real life.

regards
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROW View Post
I have seen them cbi bulbs 5000k, quite pricey mind. Whats the colour like? Worth the money?
It's crisp White.

I think they are worth the cash, but that's me.

If you were to buy new bulbs from dealer, you can get these for same or less £££
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

anyone else got these xenon Osram CBI bulbs?

seem to be £150 for the pair online? worth it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Everyone raves crazy things about these osram CBI bulbs. From pics i have seen, they look REALLY impressive!!!

Supposedly all the BRAND NEW Audis, Mercs, Bentleys get them from Factory now.

I will be getting these next
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I've seen them up for £120 for the pair, but still i can't bring myself to pay £60 per bulb even though my bulbs i have now are rubbish.

i need to see them with my own eyes first i think.
      11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

@Pave Dew, Do you have any pics of these fitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
It's crisp White.

I think they are worth the cash, but that's me.

If you were to buy new bulbs from dealer, you can get these for same or less £££
      11-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-OSRAM-D...item20cbe03e6e

German eBay just over a ton
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
apparently lots of the bulbs on ebay are fake?

I guess theres no guarantee that hids4u or whatever UK company will send you genuine though when even Amazon etc have be known to distribute 'fake' Sennheiser headphones in the past? Admittedly not knowingly, but still...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92liv View Post
apparently lots of the bulbs on ebay are fake?

I guess theres no guarantee that hids4u or whatever UK company will send you genuine though when even Amazon etc have be known to distribute 'fake' Sennheiser headphones in the past? Admittedly not knowingly, but still...
After a quick google not found evidence of that for the Osram CBIs, and after running the eBay add through translator clearly states they are made in Germany. I guess everyone takes a risk but I'd say the seller has quite alot to loose if he's caught selling counterfit goods. I'm a bit of a Germany eBay whore though, the amount of money i've saved buying bits for my car from German eBay has paid for a years car insurance and its all been legit goods!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After a quick google not found evidence of that for the Osram CBIs, and after running the eBay add through translator clearly states they are made in Germany. I guess everyone takes a risk but I'd say the seller has quite alot to loose if he's caught selling counterfit goods. I'm a bit of a Germany eBay whore though, the amount of money i've saved buying bits for my car from German eBay has paid for a years car insurance and its all been legit goods!
I wasn't shooting you down by the way

might go for a pair from the german ebay.. wonder if the guy would do a discount for a group buy from us on here, hummmm any interest?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't shooting you down by the way

might go for a pair from the german ebay.. wonder if the guy would do a discount for a group buy from us on here, hummmm any interest?
Didn't take it like that mate

Yeh looking at the ad seems if you buy more than 1 set other additional item is free shipping so saves £8 or so on delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Didn't take it like that mate

Yeh looking at the ad seems if you buy more than 1 set other additional item is free shipping so saves £8 or so on delivery.
I've sent that seller a quick message regarding a group buy discount, will post in here what the reply is
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
ROW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

i'd be interested.
      12-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've emailed a few different places now regarding a group buy option. Done quite a bit of reading about these bulbs today and I will definitely be purchasing some, very good reviews!

Should have some replies on Monday hopefully

Pave... Try to get some pictures if you can
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

Quote:
I've emailed a few different places now regarding a group buy option. Done quite a bit of reading about these bulbs today and I will definitely be purchasing some, very good reviews!

Should have some replies on Monday hopefully

Pave... Try to get some pictures if you can
Any decent links for the la(z)y man?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
e92liv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Any decent links for the la(z)y man?
links for reviews or places to buy?

LINK
here is a 200+ page thread on the CBI bulbs. I know it's named d2s but thats irrelevant; other good reviews I've seen have been on various car forums and amazon.de

D1S is a newer version of D2S, the only difference being D1S bulbs contain the ignitor, D2S bulbs are only a bulb and the ignitor is part of your ballast kit
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

Thank you!

Yes I meant a thread to read reviews, looks impressive!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #22
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

I'm interested if you manage a group buy...