E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Replacment needed - I can never decide

01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Replacment needed - I can never decide

Well as some know i have had endless problems with my E90 320i and it is being purchased back by the dealer (Yes i know i should have researched the engine before buying lol).

So that leaves me with a dilemma, the car should fingers crossed be gone by the end of the week so i am going to have to act fast as i going to be without a car.

Do i trust BMW again and just put it down to buying a bad one or do i go elsewhere. The way i see it now is my choice of manufacturers is Audi, BMW, Jaguar or Merc as anything else will feel like a backwards step.

So max budget is 15k but less if possible lol. Has to be atleast half leather interior, preferably full leather and has to be 4/5 doors. Estate would be ok but they seem to carry a hefty premium so may have to just make do with the roof box and it has to be 2007 (07) plate or newer for my private reg.

So far things that have stood out

Spotted this E90, slightly less common colour but reds tend to fade.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

And this E60:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...port?logcode=p

Neither are highly spec'd but livable. Also with the current horror stories of the N47 engine and timing chain issues i am not sure either is a good choice.

Leaves the outsider option which i do not know a lot about:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...56az?logcode=p

If you can find anything better spec'd i am looking for options lol
      01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
mtr123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 320d le-mans blue

i'm thinking about an estate c-class next so i would look for them if i was you.

saying that i haven't driven one but ive been a passenger and the interior is a lot nicer than bmw imo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr123 View Post
i'm thinking about an estate c-class next so i would look for them if i was you.

saying that i haven't driven one but ive been a passenger and the interior is a lot nicer than bmw imo
What was the ride like? Better than the BMW?
      01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Yes in my opinion the mercs ride much better. Lci cars did get some suspension adjustments but my old mans c class estate does have more comfort. Without run flats on the BMW it is improved a lot but the suspension is still hard for a non m car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
mtr123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 320d le-mans blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
What was the ride like? Better than the BMW?
ride is comfy/luxurious
i'm looking to test drive one in the next few months as i don't know a lot about them, i imagine they don't handle like a 3
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
sixpot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

I like that red E90, you are right you don't see many about in that colour.
If you start looking at the Mercs, sometimes they are advertised as having full leather when in fact it is 'contico' an artificial leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Decisions decisions

Would be so much easier if i had faith in BMW's reliability!
      01-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

I would not recommend a private sale especially to u considering the problems u've had with ur car, go to a dealer mate, u'll have warranty for peace of mind

I've not heard many problems reported on the 330d or 330i, good mpg, 6pot etc pre lci would be my preferred option as the m57 is durable and reliable, the n57 is great too but I have seen the odd reports of drivetrain issues

325 could be another option, same engine as the 330, the only difference being ecu tweaks?

I would not be put off buying a BMW, they r great cars and urs I am sure is a one off unfortunate experience

My OH has a merc w204, it's fully loaded and has a luxurious feel to it, it's just not as exciting to drive though
      01-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
Hi mate, there is a 325d in Lemans blue with stratstone chesterfield...its a M-Sport slightly over your 15K budget by £200 pounds...like mentioned above you can get a good 3L engine and one year AUC warranty as well...here is the link if you find it interesting..All the best

http://www.approved.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/...tance_ASC|list
      01-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnanv View Post
Hi mate, there is a 325d in Lemans blue with stratstone chesterfield...its a M-Sport slightly over your 15K budget by £200 pounds...like mentioned above you can get a good 3L engine and one year AUC warranty as well...here is the link if you find it interesting..All the best

I would go with this one. Stick with approved used.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

That AUC car looks very very nice!
Would go with that.

Dont go from a 320i and all your problems with that, to another engine with a history of problems.
The 20d 177 engine was what I was looking at too, but all the bad stories put me right off.
Went with a 325i in the end, and havent looked back!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
It's gotta be a later pre-lci 330d!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #13
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

should be able to get AUC 525d or 530d for that money, if you need something that big of course.
you want a hassle free process with this car, based on your previous experience I would stick to a main dealer car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #14
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Decisions decisions

Would be so much easier if i had faith in BMW's reliability!
Unfortunately the 2 litre variety are a lot more prone to failure, the only other is the 335i with its hpfp / injector issues. So don't be put off.

Just buy something with a warranty and 3.0l engine
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #15
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
This!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #16
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

330D is known for being one of most reliable engines out there in BMWs and they will easily keep with up with the likes of other mid level cars (diff league after remap )

Any of the 325, 330, 335 should certainly change you mind completely from your 320i mishaps as unfortunately and rightly pointed out by others, they aren't the most reliable motors out there. Now that you know to avoid 320i and you have a wealth of info to hand before pulling the trigger + some very knowledgeable people on here.. I'd weigh up your options between what engine in the BM range will suit you best, compare it to your other manufacturers pointed out and make a decision based not just on the fact most here will praise BMWs ofcourse, but what you like the look of and what deal can be had that best fits your budget
      01-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #17
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

With a lump of cash in hand, right now I'd be leasing a new car.

The deals are just too good to pass up and the warranty provides relatively worry free motoring.
      01-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
I would not recommend a private sale especially to u considering the problems u've had with ur car, go to a dealer mate, u'll have warranty for peace of mind

I've not heard many problems reported on the 330d or 330i, good mpg, 6pot etc pre lci would be my preferred option as the m57 is durable and reliable, the n57 is great too but I have seen the odd reports of drivetrain issues

325 could be another option, same engine as the 330, the only difference being ecu tweaks?

I would not be put off buying a BMW, they r great cars and urs I am sure is a one off unfortunate experience

My OH has a merc w204, it's fully loaded and has a luxurious feel to it, it's just not as exciting to drive though
Definitely needs to be a dealer, not going private. Would luv approved used BMW but depends on finding one in budget. Seams the 6 cylinder is a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnanv View Post

Good spot mate, that is definitely on the short list, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
I would go with this one. Stick with approved used.
Yeah i think your right about an AUC.
      01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
That AUC car looks very very nice!
Would go with that.

Dont go from a 320i and all your problems with that, to another engine with a history of problems.
The 20d 177 engine was what I was looking at too, but all the bad stories put me right off.
Went with a 325i in the end, and havent looked back!
Yeah. although there is lots to choose from, the N47 engine seems just as prone to issues as my 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
All in my budget seem to be high mileage and cloth interior lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
should be able to get AUC 525d or 530d for that money, if you need something that big of course.
you want a hassle free process with this car, based on your previous experience I would stick to a main dealer car.
Hassle free is what its all about, i need a reliable car. Up until december it was ok as i could always just jump into the Mrs car, unfortunately with her passing away its just one car now so i cannot have something that goes into the garage for a week nearly every 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Unfortunately the 2 litre variety are a lot more prone to failure, the only other is the 335i with its hpfp / injector issues. So don't be put off.

Just buy something with a warranty and 3.0l engine
Good advice, cheers mate
      01-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
330D is known for being one of most reliable engines out there in BMWs and they will easily keep with up with the likes of other mid level cars (diff league after remap )

Any of the 325, 330, 335 should certainly change you mind completely from your 320i mishaps as unfortunately and rightly pointed out by others, they aren't the most reliable motors out there. Now that you know to avoid 320i and you have a wealth of info to hand before pulling the trigger + some very knowledgeable people on here.. I'd weigh up your options between what engine in the BM range will suit you best, compare it to your other manufacturers pointed out and make a decision based not just on the fact most here will praise BMWs ofcourse, but what you like the look of and what deal can be had that best fits your budget
Do the 3 litre diesel's suffer with DPF issues???
      01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
With a lump of cash in hand, right now I'd be leasing a new car.

The deals are just too good to pass up and the warranty provides relatively worry free motoring.
There seem to be half decent business deals out there but it doesnt seem competitive to me for a personal user. Deposit plus £300 to £400 a month for 2-3 years seems expensive to had the car back at the end and not own it lol
      01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #22
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes all diesels in the range suffer from DPF problems (unless you guy a 2005 320d with the downturn tailpipe they dont have them). All depends on what the car is used for. Frequent and exclusive short journeys are going to clog the DPF much quicker. I think with normal driving and a working thermostat they usually last until 120k before needing a replacement at a cost of around £1,500.

You will never know the true usage of a car but a good indicator might be to check the hidden coolant temperature. I keep my eye on this and i have seen it fall slightly recently. Whilst it was still in ok range if i left it any longer it might have prevent the DPF from functioning correctly so as i precaution i changed the stats.

Most people have no idea about this so i bet there is a lot of cars driving around with woolly stats which will eventually lead to DPF failure.

Keep it burning and you shouldn't have any problems. If you are really bothered i'm sure you could ask them to run a diagnostic on the car to check the back pressure mB readings for the DPF at idle, 2k and redline plus check the coolant temp after 15 mins of driving.
Appreciate 0