E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > A/C Not blowing cold, anything else other than an evaporator leak could cause this?

09-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Exclamation A/C Not blowing cold, anything else other than an evaporator leak could cause this?

About 18 months ago I noticed the passenger side vents would blow cold but the driver side would be warm with the A/C on. I had the system refilled with refrigerant by a BMW indy shop and the A/C was perfect again.

Now the problem has returned. It has been hot in SoCal and the A/C just can't keep up. Given it took 18 months for the problem to return tells me there is a slow leak somewhere.

I don't recall ever smelling an odd odor coming from the vents. Is there anywhere other than the evaporator that could leak? It seems like I am headed for a $3k+ bill which is painful to stomach on a car that is probably worth less than $13k at this point. Are there any other options like a stop leak fluid or something? Maybe I should just refill it for $150 and hope it lasts another 18 months?

Car:
2007 e90 335i with 122k miles.
Out of warranty of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:58 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

I had an issue where mine wasn't blowing cold enough.
It was cold, but not cold enough for me......I was stupid.

Went to Walmart bought a refill kit and dumped all of it in the car.
Now it blower hot air, ac totally stopped.

Took it into an Indy shop.
They said you can't have more than 1.3lbs.
They drained it, it has 2.8 lbs.

Refilled it to exact 1.3lbs.
Working fine for 2 years now.

DN
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

So the best thing to do here is get a measurement of how much refrigerant is in the system and then only add refrigerant if it is low. They can also help you pinpoint the leak, if you think one exists.

To answer your question, yes is could be something other than the evaporator. It could be anywhere in the system loop.

If the leak is slow, just refill it and get another 18 months.
      09-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Really, anything in the system can leak, there are lines and fittings with o-rings. I had a leak in my condenser, that's at the front of the car so sometimes debris can damage it.

You can always have a shop put dye in the system and see where it comes out. I did it myself with a kit I bought at the parts store and that's how I found the leak in the condenser.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Really, anything in the system can leak, there are lines and fittings with o-rings. I had a leak in my condenser, that's at the front of the car so sometimes debris can damage it.

You can always have a shop put dye in the system and see where it comes out. I did it myself with a kit I bought at the parts store and that's how I found the leak in the condenser.
Glad to hear it can be something else.

I will just take it in and see what they find. If it is the evaporator I will just fill it up again and hope it lasts another 1.5 yrs. Sure beats paying $3k to fix on a $12k car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
HerrGruyere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

I would also just keep refilling on an as-needed basis.
Appreciate 0