E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > NCS Expert Questions!

07-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

NCS Expert Questions!

I am ready to start my first coding on my 2010 E93. I have read through all the guides, got the software , cable etc. I understand the basic concept. However all the guides on here are like do step1, step 2, step 3, etc which is great. But I'm one of those people that likes to understand exactly what I'm doing in that step and not just blindly do it. So I have a few questions I'm hoping some experts out here can answer. If you reply can you just put the number of the question you are answering in the reply so I know which question you are referring to?

Ok Here goes....

1. Can anyone explain what the Daten files actually do? This is my guess. I know they don't transfer to and from the car. It looks like NCS expert uses them as reference files for what a particular module has as possible coding options/features. So when you pull up a particular module to code, it references those files to see what is available?

2. What happens if you have a Daten file older than what either came from factory or was updated by dealer on a particular module. Do you just not see the possible additional features or changes in NCS Expert?

3. Can something bad happen if you try to use an older Daten file on a module that has a newer one?

4. Is having the latest and greatest Daten files always the best way to insure no issues? In other words if say I had a module that used Daten files v48, by on my NCS Expert I have V49, the V49 files would have everything my module has for V48, plus more if anything changed in V49?

5. When you open NCS Expert you first pic a profile. The software has ExpertMode in it. But all the instructions on here say to use Revtor profile or Fischers, etc. What exactly is a profile used for? Why cant I just use the default that came with NCS Expert? What does Revtors or someone elses profile have that the Expertmode one doesn't? Can I make my own?

6. So I pic a profile, read the vehicle, select my chassis and then I get the screen to select a module to read. Most of the instructions on here say select CAS. But what am I doing on this screen. There are only a couple choices, I have not gotten to the screen that lists all the modules out yet. What are these modules and why am I selecting CAS? Would I ever select something else like FRM or is CAS just the default. What is this actually doing by selecting one of these choices. Again I'm not talking about the module list you get when you do F4, I'm talking about that list of just a few modules you get after you select the chassis.

Thanks guys for any light you can shed on the above!

Last edited by sandjam; 07-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Wrong title
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
I am ready to start my first coding on my 2010 E93. I have read through all the guides, got the software , cable etc. I understand the basic concept. However all the guides on here are like do step1, step 2, step 3, etc which is great. But I'm one of those people that likes to understand exactly what I'm doing in that step and not just blindly do it. So I have a few questions I'm hoping some experts out here can answer. If you reply can you just put the number of the question you are answering in the reply so I know which question you are referring to?

Ok Here goes....

1. Can anyone explain what the Daten files actually do? This is my guess. I know they don't transfer to and from the car. It looks like NCS expert uses them as reference files for what a particular module has as possible coding options/features. So when you pull up a particular module to code, it references those files to see what is available?

2. What happens if you have a Daten file older than what either came from factory or was updated by dealer on a particular module. Do you just not see the possible additional features or changes in NCS Expert?

3. Can something bad happen if you try to use an older Daten file on a module that has a newer one?

4. Is having the latest and greatest Daten files always the best way to insure no issues? In other words if say I had a module that used Daten files v48, by on my NCS Expert I have V49, the V49 files would have everything my module has for V48, plus more if anything changed in V49?

5. When you open NCS Expert you first pic a profile. The software has ExpertMode in it. But all the instructions on here say to use Revtor profile or Fischers, etc. What exactly is a profile used for? Why cant I just use the default that came with NCS Expert? What does Revtors or someone elses profile have that the Expertmode one doesn't? Can I make my own?

6. So I pic a profile, read the vehicle, select my chassis and then I get the screen to select a module to read. Most of the instructions on here say select CAS. But what am I doing on this screen. There are only a couple choices, I have not gotten to the screen that lists all the modules out yet. What are these modules and why am I selecting CAS? Would I ever select something else like FRM or is CAS just the default. What is this actually doing by selecting one of these choices. Again I'm not talking about the module list you get when you do F4, I'm talking about that list of just a few modules you get after you select the chassis.

No one knows how this works?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post

Ok Here goes....

1. Uses it as a reference for default values

2. Could render the module useless until it is recoded with a newer daten. Some new options may appear

3. Yes

4. Anything over v48 is fine but I always run the latest to be on the safe side

5. Revtor's profile commonly known as "Manipulate" or "FSWPSW" or "MAN" will allow you to pull changes from the new coding fileyou changed instead of skip over them and code the default. Expertmode= Reset. Revtor/Manipulte= Change

6. Those modules are the main modules that store important information on the car. CAS is ALWAYS on for one, and also is a main storage for your VO number.
Appreciate 0