E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Smear after WAX ?!?!?

08-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Fritzables
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i M-Sport

Smear after WAX ?!?!?

Hi All,

I use DP Max Wax to provide the final wax on my E90. I use a Synthetic Wax initially then after a 48 hour period I apply a 'very' thin layer of Max Wax.

The wax goes onto a cold surface (15C ambients) and typically leave it on for around 30 minutes to ensure it cures. This is all done in the garage to keep the sun lite off whilst applying

I use either a Terri-Toweling or Microfibre cloth for the removal. In the garage it looks great - a very high gloss, but when I then move the car out into the sun I can see a very light smear and gives the impression that the paint finish is suffering from hologram - which it's not.

What can I do to prevent this problem - do I need to leave the wax on a little longer before removing... or am I leaving it on too long.

During the application I make sure that I am placing a very thin layer on.

Looking forward to your responses.

Fritzables.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

AAAhhhhh... classic problem when using actual carnauba based waxes - especially high 'nuba content waxes like Dodo Juice Supernatural, Rubbish Boys Original Edition, some of the high end Zymol waxes (Atlantique, Vinatage, Royale), some of the high end Swissvax/Swissol waxes, etc.

Smearing / streaking AKA Gassing out / Sweating is often a problem with this high end waxes because of the high amount of actual wax in the product. When you have a large amount of something like carnauba, you have to use some good strong solvents to keep the wax suspended in the mixture so it doesn't solidify.

To help your situation out, there are a couple of things you can do.
1. Apply the wax thinner. Much thinner. As thin as humanly possible. This will make sure that the entire layer of wax you're laying down will properly "set' which basically is the process of allowing the solvents to evaporate away leaving the film of wax behind. If applied too thick, you actually will have less wax left on your paint's finish AKA less protection AND you've wasted more wax in the process.
2. After allowing to set, once you buff off the residue, allow the car to sit for another good 15-30 minutes in the cool shaded garage. Once enough time has gone by, you can either spray cold water (pure water either through reverse osmosis or another process is preferred of course), or a quick detailer on the surface and gently wipe some more. This will help to get rid of the solvents that weren't completely wiped free the first time.
3. If nothing else, just give more time before you take the car out in the sun.

If you're using a very high carnauba content wax like Rubbish Boys Original Edition, some of the Migliore waxes, etc, you'll likely need to do both these things. Some of these high end, high dollar, boutique waxes can be cool to have, show off, and use, but be warned that they can also cause problems. I often tailor the protective product I use on a client's vehicle to their needs: daily drivers almost always get a layer of sealant rather than wax: it's not only easier to use, sealants will be slicker and more durable than waxes (though I personally think waxes are better guards against etching). If the car is more of a weekend car, track car, or cruiser, we often will use a nice wax product (sometimes over a spray sealant like Optimum Opti-Seal), and remind the owner that the car will likely look better after it's been washed once.

Sorry for the long reply but I hope this helps!
-Marc from AutoLavish

Last edited by MuttGrunt; 08-14-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
Fritzables
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i M-Sport

G'Day MuttGrunt,

Hey..... that was a good read and understand fully what you're talking about.

I like the step two, leave it for a while after buffing off then return to it later with a QD.

Yes, it is a daily drive, but I am pretty fussy to how it looks - I typically use JetSeal once every 6 months. This will stand for 48 hours before it comes off.

This is then followed by Einszett Glanz Wax (synthetic wax). Again, once every 6 months.

Weekly I use Optimum Spray Wax to keep this looking good, then every second weekend, on goes Max Wax.

I QD daily with Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer.

Absolutely looks a treat but I just can't stand seeing that smearing.

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Fritzables.
Appreciate 0