Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Looking to buy my first new rims, need some help.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Mpy18
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 325 XI

Looking to buy my first new rims, need some help.

I drive an 06 325xi, and I am looking to buy new rims.

I came across these, they look the nicest of all the rims I have come across. I want to keep a BMW logo in the center cap.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1774877

The thing is I haven't changed rims/wheels before, so what do I need to do. Find out lug patterns and stuff? I want to go up to 18 in rims, will they rub or be too big? My cars suspension is stock. I want them to fit nicely with the fenders, and not have so much fender gap.

Also with new tires, I have 16in RF tires. Obviously can't put those on, should I buy the exact same tires I have in just the bigger size? Bridgestone Turanza RFT.

Thanks for any advice I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Those wheels will fit fine with no modifications necessary.

Most people don't replace their tires with RFTs since the ride is harsh and more expensive than traditional tires.

You can either do 225/40/18 or if you want tires that are a little bit bigger, 235/40/18 will also work.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

If you're looking for a CSL style wheel, I would recommend that you check out the Sportline CS.16 wheels. The Sportline CS.16 wheels are rotary forged and are not only strong, but are light weight. The wheels are also powder coated giving it a more durable finish. If you're going for a non-staggered setup, I would recommend that you go with the 18x8.5 ET35 with a 235/40/18 all around. This will not be too big and will work perfectly on your car without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

Can you explain this to me?
You can either do 225/40/18 or if you want tires that are a little bit bigger, 235/40/18 will also work.

I don't understand what each number is telling me the size of. First time really looking into this stuff.

The rims I linked are Replica rims, don't have the money to spend 1800 on them. Are replicas a good quality? Will these rims crack and break or should I be okay with them? Which tires would you suggest I buy? I bought my car used at a dealer with a CPO, and I bought the 5 year wheels and rims warranty, where they tow me and fix it for free if need be. Is this warranty for the wheels and rims that came with the car or will it cover these as well?

What is the price on those Sportline CSL rims?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

The first set of numbers (225 & 235) is the width of the tire
The second set of numbers (40) is the profile height of the tire
The third set of numbers (18) is the diameter of the tire
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

When looking at tire sizes, say, 235/40/18

235 refers to the width (in millimeters)

40 refers to the profile/height

and 18 refers to the diameter of the tire

225/40/18 is the standard size tire for an 18x8 wheel, but if you want tires that are a little bit wider, you can do 235/40/18.

Replica wheels vary greatly in quality. Some are good, some are great, some are terrible. For daily driving, most of them should be ok. If you hit a pot hole, chances are that you may crack your wheel, depending on how hard you hit it.

You need to call the warranty people to see what they will cover. I can't answer that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

I drive where I hit a few potholes a day, just unavoidable in some situations, the alloy rims that came stock have held up pretty nicely. Are there more than one M3 csl replica rim by different manufacturers? Would you happen to know of a quality place to buy them? Would you suggest craigslist?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpy18 View Post
I drive where I hit a few potholes a day, just unavoidable in some situations, the alloy rims that came stock have held up pretty nicely. Are there more than one M3 csl replica rim by different manufacturers? Would you happen to know of a quality place to buy them? Would you suggest craigslist?
I would avoid ebay and craigslist. Chances are, the wheel manufacturer uses the cheapest materials and cheapest methods of production in order to offer you a slightly better price than some of the other reps.

VMR makes decent wheels that go through at least some sort of testing. They are a few hundred dollars more than what you might find on ebay, but are of much better quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You definitely want to stay away from craigslist and ebay as they do often times sell lower quality wheels. Though not enforced, there are quality standards to govern the production of wheels. Some countries though, like Germany and Japan, have government regulations requiring aftermarket wheels to meet certain criteria and ensure proper fit. The United States has taken steps to establish guidelines but it will be some time before they can enact regulation of any kind. Consequently, all wheels are not made the same. The performance of an alloy wheel is a direct result of the manufacturing technique employed.

In terms of the hierarchy of quality and strength the list goes from lowest to highest as follows: gravity cast, low-pressure cast, rotary forged flow form, and forged. The Sportline CS.16 wheels are rotary forged and are one of the strongest CSL and lightest CSL style wheels out there!

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Sportline/sportline-1885weight-1.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

spend the extra money now on higher end reps and just save yourself the headache in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
Mpy18
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
spend the extra money now on higher end reps and just save yourself the headache in the long run.

That's what I want to do, what's the higher end reps? Is **********s.com one of them? Or Tirerack?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Check out my thread on Enkei CSL offering.. 19lbs, rotary formed, $225 each.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I would recommend staying away from craigslist and buying from a E90Post supporting vendor.

Quote:
That's what I want to do, what's the higher end reps? Is **********s.com one of them? Or Tirerack?
There are several manufacturers of CSL wheels. ALUFELGEN CS7 is one of the strongest and most reputable CSL wheels on the market. You can buy a set of our wheels from any of our authorized distributors.
Appreciate 0