E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Bouncy ride at high speed.!

10-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #23
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

The problem with the xi is the ride height but also the spring and the spring constant being used. It is way too soft. Most sport springs are "stiffer" linear or progressive. I also think our shoocks/struts suck too. Don't get me wrong, the entire suspension sucks as a whole.

If I had a winter vehicle I wold have got an E92 and and not an e90 xi.

The KW kicks ass because the spring is optimized to work with the shock. The shock is "jetted" as a sport shock.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #24
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
The problem with the xi is the ride height but also the spring and the spring constant being used. It is way too soft. Most sport springs are "stiffer" linear or progressive. I also think our shoocks/struts suck too. Don't get me wrong, the entire suspension sucks as a whole.

If I had a winter vehicle I wold have got an E92 and and not an e90 xi.

The KW kicks ass because the spring is optimized to work with the shock. The shock is "jetted" as a sport shock.
Thanks for the reply. That answers my question much better.

I have to be honest too, I bought the XI thinking it was more like an Audi Quattro etc where the suspension performs well with the "sport" (um, "ultimate driving machine"?!) nature of the car. In reality, the 335XI handles well compared to a Camry but not compared to real sports sedans runnings up to $50k. No way.

The ride is also much too harsh. If KW can make this thing avoid the massive bangs on bumps (bottoming out shocks etc) I fail to understand how BMW engineers could have let this car go out the door as approved for mass consumption by the public.

I need to find and fill out one of those satisfaction surveys to let them know I'm considering Audi etc for the next ride if they can't get it together.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #25
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The hash ride is the RFT.

The float is the suspension.

I agree, an S4 would kill our cars in handling, prob so would an A4.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #26
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
The hash ride is the RFT.

The float is the suspension.

I agree, an S4 would kill our cars in handling, prob so would an A4.
With the XI stock suspension the stock Audi's have the XI beat. But they aint no picnic either. With my KW's I routinely beat the A4 2.0 and 3.2 and battle with the S4.
      10-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Getting stiffer shocks will help with the bounciness.
      10-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet View Post
Thanks for the reply. That answers my question much better.

I have to be honest too, I bought the XI thinking it was more like an Audi Quattro etc where the suspension performs well with the "sport" (um, "ultimate driving machine"?!) nature of the car. In reality, the 335XI handles well compared to a Camry but not compared to real sports sedans runnings up to $50k. No way.

The ride is also much too harsh. If KW can make this thing avoid the massive bangs on bumps (bottoming out shocks etc) I fail to understand how BMW engineers could have let this car go out the door as approved for mass consumption by the public.

I need to find and fill out one of those satisfaction surveys to let them know I'm considering Audi etc for the next ride if they can't get it together.
Those earth shattering thumps unfortunately dont go completely away with KW's. If you do not slam your ride or set the rebound too stiff, and shy away from 19 and 20 tires and substitute for non-RFT, then your ride will be next to excellent.

I just raised my ride, where I can get almost one finger between the tire and wheel well on non RFT 18's with default KW settings. Its firm but with no harshness.
      10-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #29
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Those earth shattering thumps unfortunately dont go completely away with KW's. If you do not slam your ride or set the rebound too stiff, and shy away from 19 and 20 tires and substitute for non-RFT, then your ride will be next to excellent.

I just raised my ride, where I can get almost one finger between the tire and wheel well on non RFT 18's with default KW settings. Its firm but with no harshness.
Thanks for all the advice- you guys rock!

I'm on 18" 162s and stock RFTs for now (new car, 5/08).

So if we voted on the cause of the aptly-named "Big BANG" front suspension bottoming of the XI, what is the consensus for cause between tires and suspension? 60% caused by RFT and 40% stock shocks?

thanks

BB
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #30
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet View Post
Thanks for all the advice- you guys rock!

I'm on 18" 162s and stock RFTs for now (new car, 5/08).

So if we voted on the cause of the aptly-named "Big BANG" front suspension bottoming of the XI, what is the consensus for cause between tires and suspension? 60% caused by RFT and 40% stock shocks?

thanks

BB
Yeah, given my recent tire change I would say 80% tires 20% suspension.

My new Pilot A/S are much smoother on small bumps and no big bang on big bumps.

The car still wallows at high speed.

Comparing the A4/S4 to our car, I was talking more suspension than outright acceleration. We got screwed....S5 is looking nicer all the time, especially driving at speed.

I think we all can safely say the I6 TT kills just about everthing on the road in the same price range or less.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #31
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

I'm going to say harshness/stiffness on the ride are 80% RFT, the bottoming out is 75% suspension. You'll have to change them both out to realize the benefits.

I changed out my tires first and was pretty happy. Suspension a month later after taking a light sweeping corner on the freeway when I hit a deep pot hole at 65Km/h that almost flipped the f'n car over.
      10-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #32
FastLane
Live life in this lane....
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

S5 drives like crap. There is this st. wheel vibration that many cars are experiencing and audi hasnt fixed - look on some of the forums and I believe it has been published. The materials and finish are nice thou.

My recommendation is to swap the tires first, see if you like the difference. If not, then go for the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #33
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Yeah but then what, HPFP, then it fails, then what, fuel tank gauge that is f*cked, leaking windshield washer tank, then what, blown turbos.

As much as I love driving my car I am quickly losing confidence in it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #34
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
My car is almost 2" (50mm) lower than it was as a stock Xi (thanks to the KWV3's). I ditched the RF's in favour of 19" PS2's just before I changed the suspension out .... . Most (if not all) of the banging is due to RF's. That being said the car cannot be safely driven in any sort of aggressive manner with the stock suspension.
      10-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #35
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but then what, HPFP, then it fails, then what, fuel tank gauge that is f*cked, leaking windshield washer tank, then what, blown turbos.

As much as I love driving my car I am quickly losing confidence in it.
Forget those other issues. They are covered under warranty. I know it's painful to have to drop the dough for the coilovers but you'll be glad you did.
      10-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #36
ARA5HE90
ARA5HE90
Canada
Rep
Drives: a beast!

Garage List
2007 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
I've been noticing that my car seems really bouncy at high speeds when i hit a smallest bump or dip or even change lanes.

The car feels like the top of the cars going up and the wheels are gripping the road. When going kinda fast and i hit the smallest dip or a bump the car bounces so much you kinda feel like body is getting airborned somewhat.

Also when i switch lanes and hit like a dip the car bounces so much that feels like i might lose control sometimes.

Is this because its an xi? Would lowering the ride cure this issue?
Or does this have anythign to do with the RFT's maybe?
depends on what you lowered the car with .. if you just added coilovers your shocks are going to be damaged. and that causes the bouncy ride.. soo check out your shock.. and if it is replace it quick before you do more damage

2oo7 e90 JB 328xi/// with too many mods!?!?!
check out my ride = http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246531
2oo8 e90 SSII ///M3 *the silver ghost* = http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409084
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #37
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARA5HE90 View Post
depends on what you lowered the car with .. if you just added coilovers your shocks are going to be damaged. and that causes the bouncy ride.. soo check out your shock.. and if it is replace it quick before you do more damage
ARA5 before you preach incorrect info, please do your research. Coilovers contain the spring and the shock absorber in one component. You're thinking about springs.
      10-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #38
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_blue View Post
My dealer strongly advised me against "any non-BMW" suspension....which was expected...but then insisted that since I had the sport package it meant that my XI had stiffer suspension....to which I said I thought that the XI had no suspension mods in sport package....oh well. I will mess with different tires asap. non rft....and pick up a spare while I am at it.
I dont think that is correct. The XI Sport suspension is the same as the XI non sport. Seats, oil cooler and breaks make comprise the Sport version.
      10-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #39
ARA5HE90
ARA5HE90
Canada
Rep
Drives: a beast!

Garage List
2007 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
ARA5HE90 before you preach incorrect info, please do your research. Coilovers contain the spring and the shock absorber in one component. You're thinking about springs.
my mistake.. yeah thats what i meant.. springs do that .. haha .. hey we all make mistake.. i was tired and read it wrong that all .. no research needed

2oo7 e90 JB 328xi/// with too many mods!?!?!
check out my ride = http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246531
2oo8 e90 SSII ///M3 *the silver ghost* = http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409084
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #40
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Forget those other issues. They are covered under warranty. I know it's painful to have to drop the dough for the coilovers but you'll be glad you did.
Yeah, I am shopping an M3.

We'll see. Diff car for sure but perhaps now is the time to get an M since I am not getting younger and gas isn't getting cheaper.

The way I drive it'll be a wash anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #41
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I am shopping an M3.

We'll see. Diff car for sure but perhaps now is the time to get an M since I am not getting younger and gas isn't getting cheaper.

The way I drive it'll be a wash anyway.
In that case, g'luck on with the shopping - I'm jealous already.