E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 11' 328 CIC acting up - Warranty?

10-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
11' 328 CIC acting up - Warranty?

Hey all,

A few months ago, I've purchased a 328xi with CIC to replace my wifey's car. Everything has been perfectly fine, until a few weeks ago.

The idrive/CIC in the car began randomly reboot - 1 minute and 30 seconds, interval. So I searched around and figured that the CIC unit itself might be going out. I took it into dealership to be told 'Do not use aftermarket AUX cable as that was causing the system to overload'.

Well, I didn't want to start up a fight so I just responded with nice 'Okay'. But then, as soon as I picked up the car and got on highway to go home, the thing began rebooting again. Note, no dangerous-aftermarket-AUX cable was plugged in...

So I decided to make another appointment for the same issue (Couldn't do so right away as my week was extremely busy...). Now, a week ago, the CD player began to act strangely. CDs won't get recognized (Burnt or purchased) sometimes.. I went ahead and recorded videos of two different occasions when it acted up.

So fast forward to today, I have dropped it off and told my SA the issues I was having and she brought a shop foreman with her to see the videos / replicate the problem. Well, magically, the thing began working flawlessly. However, I showed the mechanic videos and he stated he would take it for an extensive test drive to see if he can replicate the issue (Obviously, 3 different recordings of the reboot & CD player failure wasn't enough I guess?)

Well, now I am just waiting for them to contact me but I have a real bad feeling that they will state some crazy BS like AUX cable and stuff..

So my concern/question was..

- Is it still covered under warranty ? (Car is under 4yrs/50000 miles)
- If they still blow me off, do I try a different dealer although they might have all the records of my visits?
- OR, do I contact BMW NA rep. ?

Fingers crossed!

Thanks all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
wpetering
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

I'm having the exact same issue. My 328i is 2009 with a CIC. Mine boots, runs for 40 seconds, shuts down for 2-3 mins and does it all over again. I have no CDs or DVDs inserted. I did have my aux cable plugged in but removed it. I just today replaced the battery cause the other one died. No change.
Don't know what else to look at. Not yet taken in for service to look-over.
Please keep us/me informed as to resolution. I'll keep looking in the mean time too.
Btw, I'm out of warranty and 38k miles.

Last edited by wpetering; 10-02-2014 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
wpetering
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Bumping this: Any resolution to your CIC problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
From my experience, if the CIC is rebooting without any reason. Generally the CIC has an internal fault and needs to be replaced. I've only ran into one situation where a F10 with CIC was rebooting, vehicle had to be programmed with latest software level. CIC is definitely covered under warranty, possibly show the video to the service manger and express your concern.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
Update:

Dealer contacted BMW NA with videos I've provided and BMW gave them a go for replacing the CIC (Was told that they need to be able to replicate the issue, otherwise, they need to go thru BMW NA for approval). CIC was replaced under warranty and all is well now. The whole iDrive system feels more snappier with the new unit..
Appreciate 0