E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Good things come in three..

11-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good things come in three..

Hi All,

In the last month I've managed to squeeze in a new exhaust, black kidneys and a lip spoiler. I love all three and they have really complimented different parts of the car.

First was the grills. I wanted the gloss black kidneys so ended up getting them from BMW as they are actually gloss instead of painted. They look much better in person.

Then was the exhaust. I wanted to get rid of the oval pipe and get twin pipes on just one side. I lurked around the forum seeing what everyone else had and I loved the BMW performance one but just could afford it. I saw a clip of a forum members exhaust (thanks Ish) and it looked and sounded exactly how I wanted. Turned out to be in my price range as well so got it booked in - MIJ exhausts in Birmingham. Great guys and gave loads of advice and options. I opted for the mid sport system as it's got a nice rumble without being too intrusive. Although it was a couple of hours drive, boy did I enjoy it on the way back!

A video:

Then came the lip spoiler. There were a few mixed answers on here about the size of the e93 convertible spoiler and a few people thought it was the same as the e92's but it's actually slightly longer. I got it from ebay off BC Moto (Taiwan). Quick delivery, spot on colour match and couldn't be happier. Highly recommended. Was easy to install, just cleaned the boot lid with the alcohol wipe supplied and then lined it all up and removed the adhesive tape. Job done. Great subtle mod.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Looks nice mate bet you cant wait for summer!
      11-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

That exhaust sounds amazing! Who makes that one?

Will my 320D sound like that? ( )
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

That is impressive sound I would look IMO to remove the mid section as well. Not sure on e92 but on e90 just after the mid box there is a pinch point. On mine removed the lot from cat/dpf there is a straight pipe to new custom back box. Sounds very nice as well not as deep as yours but with two small kids need it to be bit more quieter
      11-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Much better with the twin tips, a perfomance rear diffuser would compliment them nicely.
      11-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Great write up car looks super clean and for a 4 pot boy it sounds good, I done a full CAT back upgrade to my old 330d and that sounded superb
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Top work - well done. Good taste in mods. Get yourself a carbon rear diffuser, now you're drawing so much attention to the diffuser everyone will immediately look at the dodgy grey plastic because of your lovely exhaust!!!

I did the same thing! Ordered a diffuser about the day I got my exhaust fitted on the old E90 I had ..

Dave
      11-19-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
Looks nice mate bet you cant wait for summer!
Thanks mate! Yep - cannot wait to get the top down! Then I can get the full sound of the exhaust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
That exhaust sounds amazing! Who makes that one?

Will my 320D sound like that? ( )
Thanks - MIJ exhausts in Birmingham did it for me. Give them a shout, sure they can work something out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
That is impressive sound I would look IMO to remove the mid section as well. Not sure on e92 but on e90 just after the mid box there is a pinch point. On mine removed the lot from cat/dpf there is a straight pipe to new custom back box. Sounds very nice as well not as deep as yours but with two small kids need it to be bit more quieter
Don't think i'll be removing anything for now as happy with the sound, but will defo keep it in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Much better with the twin tips, a perfomance rear diffuser would compliment them nicely.
Stop tempting me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Great write up car looks super clean and for a 4 pot boy it sounds good, I done a full CAT back upgrade to my old 330d and that sounded superb
Thanks mate - Yep, happy given that its a 4 pot! Was worried about that initially but happy with the turnout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Top work - well done. Good taste in mods. Get yourself a carbon rear diffuser, now you're drawing so much attention to the diffuser everyone will immediately look at the dodgy grey plastic because of your lovely exhaust!!!

I did the same thing! Ordered a diffuser about the day I got my exhaust fitted on the old E90 I had ..

Dave
Ah man! Really tempting me now!!!! Oh well. Will add it to the never ending list.. Glad you're making progress on the sound install! Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

lovely mods mate and really sweet sounding exhaust now!
im almost tempted to speak to MIJ to see what they can do for me! lol

performance diffuser +1 with the carbon insert
      11-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
lovely mods mate and really sweet sounding exhaust now!
im almost tempted to speak to MIJ to see what they can do for me! lol

performance diffuser +1 with the carbon insert
Thanks bro! You all need to stop tempting me with the diffuser!!! Its too much money for me at the moment!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
nealer74
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

LOL ... before I read this I've been searching for a CF or BM Performance diffuser ...

SA320 - I wonder if we could get MStlye to give us a discount if we both bought one (http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_B03MS028.html)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Great looking car. Love the exhaust, makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Suraj, it sounds brilliant and looks a lot better.
Is it only me or somebody else spotted it as well?

Lateral / Outer pipe is longer than medial / inner and it should be opposite. Or am I wrong?
      11-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealer74 View Post
LOL ... before I read this I've been searching for a CF or BM Performance diffuser ...

SA320 - I wonder if we could get MStlye to give us a discount if we both bought one (http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_B03MS028.html)
Have you seen BMW performance diffuser?
That looks way better than CF one.
      11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealer74 View Post

Hi mate, I don't actually like the one in the link. Prefer the BMW performance diffuser but too bloody pricey! Need our friends in Taiwan to knock something up for us! http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/info_B03BM055.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Great looking car. Love the exhaust, makes a big difference.
Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

Lateral / Outer pipe is longer than medial / inner and it should be opposite. Or am I wrong?
Thank you Sameer. Hmm.. Not sure but love the way it looks so not concerned! Almost think it would look weird the other way round. Plus.. If it is wrong, mines unique Hope you're well mate!

Quote:
Have you seen BMW performance diffuser?
That looks way better than CF one.
Agree! Link above.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

It's not the length that differs, it's that the tips are flush instead of staggered like this:

Name:  bmw-performance-exhaust-328i-2.JPG
Views: 18094
Size:  81.5 KB
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
It's not the length that differs, it's that the tips are flush instead of staggered like this:

Attachment 784974
Phil
Surely anybody can spot that it is not the correct 'staggered' way.

Well if Suraj is happy, then surely whats the point of discussing it.

It defo sounds a lot better compared to OEM.
      11-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
SA320
Private First Class
Rep

Hey guys,

Just to confirm, the pipes are flush. It just looks like the outer one is longer because of the curvature of the car. Anyways.. I'm more than happy with it and can highly recommend MIJ!
Appreciate 0