E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need fresh mind. Camshaft sensor Code help.

09-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
nclark
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Need fresh mind. Camshaft sensor Code help.

It's the weekend and my access to parts is delayed so I figured I would reach out to the forums for some advice. I promise I've searched the forums and haven't found anything fitting my issue. Most results are related to poor idling and not starting.

P0344 - Camshaft Sensor Error

If I clear it, it will take a cycle or two before it turns on again on start up. It originally showed up twice and went off on its own during WOT. I got a good deal on aftermarket camshaft position sensors so I replaced them both for $65. They're aftermarket and I've since heard that that's a no no for these sensors.

One was DOA so I'm running one OEM and one aftermarket. If I swap the intake and exhaust sensors it won't start. I heard in the e46 forums that if you have a bad exhaust sensor it won't prevent the car from running. I've also removed and cleaned VANOS solenoids per forum instructions. I believe the starter is healthy and the battery new and powerful.

My question is: Is it safe to assume that both sensors are Intermittently faulty and should be replaced with OEM? I'm at 90k on the OEM sensors.

Besides the occasional slightly hard start there is no indicator that anything is malfunctioning.

Thanks for any help!

2006 325i (Mystic Blue)
MRR LT-1 19" Staggered | Koni FSD | H&R Sport Springs
AFE Stage II Intake | Magnaflow Exhaust | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Was the original code for intake or exhaust? Did you throw the old OEM ones away? Before replacing any cam sensor, swap them and see if the errors follow then replace the bad sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
nclark
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
Was the original code for intake or exhaust? Did you throw the old OEM ones away? Before replacing any cam sensor, swap them and see if the errors follow then replace the bad sensor.
It said "Camshaft position sensor 'A' circuit intermittent (Bank 1 or single sensor)", so intake if I'm correct. That's the most recent code, but I think it was originally the exhaust side. After chasing the code a little bit I but the old one back in so they ended up swapped and the car would not start. So I put it back to the old intake one in the exhaust side and the new working one in the intake side and the code continues to pop up.

Is there any other issues that could cause this CEL that I haven't addressed? I've read that a crank shaft sensor could cause this code too is that correct? (doesn't make sense to me if so)

2006 325i (Mystic Blue)
MRR LT-1 19" Staggered | Koni FSD | H&R Sport Springs
AFE Stage II Intake | Magnaflow Exhaust | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0