E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > FM Modulor CD quality?

02-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

FM Modulor CD quality?

Im having an arguement with a friend. i could definitly be wrong though.
He has a 2005 scion xb. i know there is some sort of aux input in the back. im guessing a left and right rca plug. Im telling him to hook his ipod right up to that and he will have amazing Cd quality sound plus it just plugs in.
hes telling me for cheaper, and it will sound just as good, he can get an fm modultor. Maybe it will sound good, but is it possible going through the antenna etc, it will be just as good as rca's?
thanks
Mods, please move and dont get mad if this is in the wrong forum!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It can never be "as good" as hooking up directly with a cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

does anyone care to explain technically why? just caues the rca is a better quality then the antena or what?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Here is my guess: (don't flame me, this is just a guess)

The RCA interface is capable of transmitting at a faster data than the FM modulator so the audio signal doesn't have to be compressed nearly as much. Compression always results in loss of fidelity, even if it may be small.

I say this becasue I know this video connections have different compression standards (HDMI/DVI > component > S-video > composite/RCA). For example, the component video connection doesn't require as much compression as the S-video, and the HDMI/DVI interface does not need to use compression at all. However, this has less to do with the cables themselves and more to do with the interface standards (component vs. s-video, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Bottom line, direct connection is always better. I have tried so many different FM modulators on my stereo and all of them sucked big time. I really mean SUCKS. Their sound quality is equal or less than tape quality. Don't even mention CD quality in here...that'd be bull crap.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Sound quality goes down because you are using a smaller bandwith (FM) instead of the larger bandwith the cable creates. Also, it is possible to get interference with the fM modulator, ie. engine feedback or from computer components inside the car. Tell him it is very easy to remove the stereo and just hardwire it.
Appreciate 0