E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Why not get an open faced helmet?

05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Why not get an open faced helmet?

It's time to get my own helmet for HPDE/autoX days. I think that my 124-mile round-trip work commute is far more dangerous than any event I'll attend, and I've survived with no crashes or helmet. So, why would I want a full faced helmet rather than a lighter, cooler (temps), open faced helmet?

I know that, in the event of a horrible crash, I'll be more protected by the full helmet. But, isn't that what the several airbags in the 335 are for? I'm thinking that the full face is getting a little too much and I'd rather be more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

I use a BELL Sport Mag 4 Open Face helmet and it's fine for HPDEs. I like it because it's lighter and cooler than most full-face helmets. It's also the best helmet style for those tracking street cars (with windshields and airbags). IMO, the only time a full-face helmet with visor is necessary is if you're competing or tracking an open cockpit car or convertible.
      05-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The main reason to get a full face helmet is to protect your chin from impacting various hard surfaces like roll bars in a race car without airbags. Expert studies have shown that in a car WITH airbags, there's no difference in protection between open faced and full.

The only thing I'll advise is to remove the visors typically present on most open face helmets. In an impact a deployed airbag can potentially catch the edge of that visor and cause more harm than necessary.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
warpig666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

You will be fine for DE/Auto-x events with an open face helmet.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
alonzomerrill
India
Rep
Drives: i have no car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
It's time to get my own helmet for HPDE/autoX days. I think that my 124-mile round-trip work commute is far more dangerous than any event I'll attend, and I've survived with no crashes or helmet. So, why would I want a full faced helmet rather than a lighter, cooler (temps), open faced helmet?

I know that, in the event of a horrible crash, I'll be more protected by the full helmet. But, isn't that what the several airbags in the 335 are for? I'm thinking that the full face is getting a little too much and I'd rather be more comfortable.
I have founded G Force open face helmet for you because it is the best helmet for. It is a very light weight and many features in this helmet. I would like to suggest you for only full face helmet because it will make you more safe.