E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Vanos Recall (23V-707)

04-13-2024, 03:37 PM   #133
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
I picked up a CEL on the F10 and the code was VANOS adjacent (130C01). Although I already checked, I thought might as well look one more time with the scope. Just confirming, that the non-security Torx are supposedly the okay kind? Cuz' that's what I have!

What scope did you use for this?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:48 PM   #134
Cal122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Odd is when I had my blower motor recall done they did not put the seal in place.
They didn't put a seal on the doorframe for my cars either with all the recalls they've gone through. Guess it varies on the dealer, but I used three different ones throughout the years. Beyond carfax report which can be spotty, I wish they had an online system that showed all closed recalls instead of just open ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 06:02 PM   #135
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw1939 View Post
What scope did you use for this?
Currently not available, but several others just like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C2P7KP5D

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 04-13-2024 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 07:26 PM   #136
NYCiROLL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MSport E91

So on 3/25 my 2011 e91 had a weird "shudder" when I had it just idling.
Checked via Bluedriver scanner and the infamous P0012 and P052B appeared.
I cleared the codes and ran my errands. Once I tried powering it on the CEL came on and that's when I heard the rattling and immediately turned her off.
Called AAA and waited 5 hrs to get towed back into Manhattan.

Eventually had it towed to BMW of Morristown and had to agree to a diagnostic fee in the event it wasn't the Vanos recall.
One of the service ladies informed me that my key just needs to be "read" and that's how they'll know what's happening. (LOL)
My service advisor William, commented on my APEX rims as he had a set on his e46 M3. Felt better bc I knew it was being dealt by someone in the know.

Left the wagon there and figured it'd be a month or two.
I had to deal with the FRM3 recall in 2020 and it took 3 months back then.

Case was submitted to BMW on April 1 and it was ready on the 9th.
According to William dealerships don't keep the parts readily in stock.

I tried asking for the docs but none of the service people understood what I was asking for.

Glad they dropped the pan and fished out the heads etc.

Only you know your own N52 if something 'feels' off def trust your instincts!

Appreciate 4
zhent46.50
Mike K322.00
Cal122181.00
      04-17-2024, 11:56 AM   #137
jbellk75rt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xdrive

Yeah, just called in to my dealership and no open recall on my E91. I do have the "bad" vanos bolts so guess I'm on my own. Will do it myself when the bolts are available.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2024, 09:13 PM   #138
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Not sure what all the delay from BMW NA for the faulty Vanos bolts replacements is? Most suppliers show them out of stock or NA.

However, Pelican shows them here:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...-8-602-263-BOE

They’re cheap at under $1.00 each. When I replaced mine a few years back, I ordered extras because it’s easy to chow the heads installing them due to the funny angle you need to torx them in. You need a security torx socket to remove the old ones and then an extra long shafted torx to install the replacements.

Last edited by Mike K; 04-17-2024 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2024, 04:12 AM   #139
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
Not sure what all the delay from BMW NA for the faulty Vanos bolts replacements is? Most suppliers show them out of stock or NA.

However, Pelican shows them here:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...-8-602-263-BOE

They’re cheap at under $1.00 each. When I replaced mine a few years back, I ordered extras because it’s easy to chow the heads installing them due to the funny angle you need to torx them in. You need a security torx socket to remove the old ones and then an extra long shafted torx to install the replacements.

Someone snagged them. only 1 in stock in inventory
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 03:14 PM   #140
E91 Hoarder
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 AWD, E91 RWD, E90, X535i

Does anyone know if 2006 N52s have the same faulty bolts?

I am experiencing marble sound during acceleration, and couple people mentioned this could also be the VANOS bolt failure. After checking the recall, my car is "obviously" not eligible.

Called the dealership parts store trying to order the bolts. However, these bolts are not available for purchase due to high volume of the recalls and by VIN order only.

Second question: any idea where to buy these bolts? FCP does not have them.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 03:26 PM   #141
E91 Hoarder
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 AWD, E91 RWD, E90, X535i

Follow up on my prior post.

Found the similar bolts at my local specialty screw store. However the bolt is 20mm long and has Hex head.

https://www.tacomascrew.com/Product/...iteria=2207201

Someone who dealt with this hands on, do you think these work?

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 07:51 PM   #142
Synchronixity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 528i xDrive

Hi I am new here. I spoke to my dealership in person and the service person stated that BMW is rolling this out slowly to not overwhelm the dealerships. And perhaps that certain VINs will go first, last, etc., to allow the techs time to work and not be flooded with recall service.

This was at Faulkner BMW in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

They said they could not do anything for me yet
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2024, 12:11 PM   #143
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchronixity View Post
... the service person stated that BMW is rolling this out slowly to not overwhelm the dealerships... They said they could not do anything for me yet
Welcome to the Forum!
Guess YOU will have to DO IT YOURSELF then.

DIY Remedy:
You don't say WHAT your issue (if any) is at this time. If YOU want to know if any of your VANOS Bolts are loose or broken, get a $20 USB Endoscope which you can attach to Laptop or Android device, insert scope through oil filler cap, & observe the bolt condition. You will need to rotate the engine to see ALL 8 bolts. If you use a Breaker Bar to turn Crank, rotate CLOCKWISE as viewed from front.

RANT (Cynical Views Expressed May NOT be Applicable to YOUR Case ;-):

1) If the "Service Person" you spoke with was the SA or Service Advisor, he is normally NOT a Technical Person. As Fewer customers understand their vehicles, and as the current Business Model is increasingly "Salemanship" rather than offering "Technical FACTS", even IF the SA had specific technical Facts to convey, he would be encouraged by his employer NOT to discuss those facts. To get any REAL FACTS, one would have to Ask Questions/ Cross-Examine the "Agent". Then you MIGHT learn something. Is the SA really a "BSA"?? That's NOT Boy Scouts of America. That's BS-Artist.

2) Suggested Questions:
a) What is meant by "Rolling out slowly"? Nice BMW is concerned about its Dealers, but what about the folks who BOUGHT (Rented without Shop Manual? ;-) a BMW?

b) Is there any "RCRIT" or written Procedure for performing the Recall? Is Dealer supposed to follow previous 2014 RCRIT?

c) If there is one or more Broken or Loose Bolt(s) on one of the VANOS units, is Tech required to REPLACE that VANOS Unit?

d) If there is a missing bolt, NOT on the top of the head (bolt has fallen into Crankcase) is Tech required to drop Pan & retrieve missing bolt(s)?

e) WHAT parts are currently NOT available & WHEN is delivery to THAT Dealer reasonably expected?

f) WHY can't Dealer AT LEAST use Endoscope to determine if ANY Loose/ Broken VANOS Bolts?

g) WHY are certain assembly dates subject to recall? Are Broken/ Loose Bolts the result of Faulty Bolt Supply, or Assembly Error (such as improper torque)? Are there Multiple Theories as to CAUSE of Broken/ Loose Bolts, and the whole thing is really a Guessing Game? Should we ALL be on notice to periodically Check Bolt Condition using Scope?

h) Will the "Bean-Counters" ever let whatever technical information is available in Munich BE KNOWN by Owners? (yeah -- I'm CYNICAL ;-)

Rant 2:
1)See Invoice Scan attached to Post # 136 above. That invoice shows Parts & Labor (9.0 hours). Case involved: Intake VANOS Unit replacement, due to MULTIPLE broken bolts on Intake VANOS, All 8 VANOS Bolts replaced, Pan dropped to retrieve broken bolt heads, New Gaskets for VC & Sump, new sump bolts. That's > $2,000 Retail Value folks. NOT Sustainable.

2) Is BMW trying to convince the NHTSA that "Aluminum Bolts" are NOT a "Safety Defect", NOTHING lasts forever, & that it is unrealistic to expect BMW to "warranty" those bolts in 11- to 19-year-old E9x vehicles? ACTUALLY, there's a LOT of merit in that argument as it relates to the NHTSA, effective 54 years ago (1970). MOST vehicles in 1970 had SOME major engine issue BEFORE 10 years old, were no longer under ANY warranty, and NHTSA Recalls did NOT pertain to general engine failure. Is Engine failure REALLY a "Safety Defect"?

3) What "Goes Around Comes Around": Proponents of "Forever Recalls" could reasonably argue that Auto Manufacturers have created/perpetuated the MYTH in the minds of Vehicle Owners that "Only I (here "Dealer") Can Fix It". After all, nearly every CC-ID code description in the Owner's Manual states: "Contact your BMW Center".

4) "Right to Repair" (Owner's RIGHT) would ONLY confuse the Ignorant Owner, and Manufacturer won't share ISTA, TIS, etc. unless YOU PAY $2,700 per annum. That marketing/sales approach offers SOME justification for requiring BMW to pay for Recall Parts & Labor. TWO "wrongs" do NOT make a "Right".

5) You can find a Lawyer that will argue ANYTHING for a Buck, e.g. DJT Atty. arguing President can Order Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival & be IMMUNE from criminal prosecution. How about NOT treating customers like the "Ignorant Idiots" you force them to BE by NOT providing technical information needed to Diagnose or Repair the Vehicle PURCHASED (NOT Rented ;-) from Manufacturer. $2,700 per annum is NOT a "Fair Price" for that information on ~ 11-19 Year-old vehicles that have NOT been produced in last 10+ years.

6) In Northern Virginia, a Clothing Salesman appeared on TV in late 70's stating: "An Educated Consumer is our BEST Customer". Unfortunately, the current business model is to convince the "Customer" that he cannot possibly understand the product, and to take $ADVANTAGE of "Customer Ignorance".

7) DIY is NOT for Everyone. The majority of folks will continue to pay OTHERS to Diagnose & Repair their vehicle, 'cuz they do NOT have the time, knowledge, tools, space, desire, etc. to maintain the vehicle themselves. Maintaining an OLD, Out-of-Warranty vehicle yourself is sustainable, up to ~ 30-years-old, for MANY vehicles today. Paying $hop Rates to someone else to do that is NOT sustainable.

8) Manufacturers should "Re-Examine" their Business Model, and accept that there are SOME folks (like me ;-) who will NEVER buy a NEW car. They are a Different Market Segment. Those folks "pad" the stats for "% still on road after 10/15 years", maintain Resale Prices, Parts Sales, etc., but provide NO Direct income (except perhaps at Parts Counter) to BMW or its Franchised Dealers. One size fits all/ NOT.
YMMV
George
Appreciate 5
Mike K322.00
Cal122181.00
4 Doors1169.00
      04-26-2024, 04:01 PM   #144
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
You're in rare form today George and I'm with you 100%+! Keep at it man!

Consumer ignorance breeds contempt for not only BMW's ill advised minions, but us lowly DIY owners. Engine failure IS a safety issue! How NTSA can let Munich "back burner" this known issue for years is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 05:22 PM   #145
TekkaMaki
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive

"WHY can't Dealer AT LEAST use Endoscope to determine if ANY Loose/ Broken VANOS Bolts?"
This is the minimum action that should be taken.

In Washington State, the office of the Attorney General has significant power. It would be a shame if they got involved with this matter.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 07:31 PM   #146
Cal122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
g) WHY are certain assembly dates subject to recall? Are Broken/ Loose Bolts the result of Faulty Bolt Supply, or Assembly Error (such as improper torque)? Are there Multiple Theories as to CAUSE of Broken/ Loose Bolts, and the whole thing is really a Guessing Game? Should we ALL be on notice to periodically Check Bolt Condition using Scope?
I wish someone could answer this one! It's so hit or miss based on cars that made the recall list.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 08:05 PM   #147
Synchronixity
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 528i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
Guess YOU will have to DO IT YOURSELF then.

DIY Remedy:
You don't say WHAT your issue (if any) is at this time. If YOU want to know if any of your VANOS Bolts are loose or broken, get a $20 USB Endoscope which you can attach to Laptop or Android device, insert scope through oil filler cap, & observe the bolt condition. You will need to rotate the engine to see ALL 8 bolts. If you use a Breaker Bar to turn Crank, rotate CLOCKWISE as viewed from front.

RANT (Cynical Views Expressed May NOT be Applicable to YOUR Case ;-):

1) If the "Service Person" you spoke with was the SA or Service Advisor, he is normally NOT a Technical Person. As Fewer customers understand their vehicles, and as the current Business Model is increasingly "Salemanship" rather than offering "Technical FACTS", even IF the SA had specific technical Facts to convey, he would be encouraged by his employer NOT to discuss those facts. To get any REAL FACTS, one would have to Ask Questions/ Cross-Examine the "Agent". Then you MIGHT learn something. Is the SA really a "BSA"?? That's NOT Boy Scouts of America. That's BS-Artist.

2) Suggested Questions:
a) What is meant by "Rolling out slowly"? Nice BMW is concerned about its Dealers, but what about the folks who BOUGHT (Rented without Shop Manual? ;-) a BMW?

b) Is there any "RCRIT" or written Procedure for performing the Recall? Is Dealer supposed to follow previous 2014 RCRIT?

c) If there is one or more Broken or Loose Bolt(s) on one of the VANOS units, is Tech required to REPLACE that VANOS Unit?

d) If there is a missing bolt, NOT on the top of the head (bolt has fallen into Crankcase) is Tech required to drop Pan & retrieve missing bolt(s)?

e) WHAT parts are currently NOT available & WHEN is delivery to THAT Dealer reasonably expected?

f) WHY can't Dealer AT LEAST use Endoscope to determine if ANY Loose/ Broken VANOS Bolts?

h) Will the "Bean-Counters" ever let whatever technical information is available in Munich BE KNOWN by Owners? (yeah -- I'm CYNICAL ;-)

Rant 2:
1)See Invoice Scan attached to Post # 136 above. That invoice shows Parts & Labor (9.0 hours). Case involved: Intake VANOS Unit replacement, due to MULTIPLE broken bolts on Intake VANOS, All 8 VANOS Bolts replaced, Pan dropped to retrieve broken bolt heads, New Gaskets for VC & Sump, new sump bolts. That's > $2,000 Retail Value folks. NOT Sustainable.

2) Is BMW trying to convince the NHTSA that "Aluminum Bolts" are NOT a "Safety Defect", NOTHING lasts forever, & that it is unrealistic to expect BMW to "warranty" those bolts in 11- to 19-year-old E9x vehicles? ACTUALLY, there's a LOT of merit in that argument as it relates to the NHTSA, effective 54 years ago (1970). MOST vehicles in 1970 had SOME major engine issue BEFORE 10 years old, were no longer under ANY warranty, and NHTSA Recalls did NOT pertain to general engine failure. Is Engine failure REALLY a "Safety Defect"?

3) What "Goes Around Comes Around": Proponents of "Forever Recalls" could reasonably argue that Auto Manufacturers have created/perpetuated the MYTH in the minds of Vehicle Owners that "Only I (here "Dealer") Can Fix It". After all, nearly every CC-ID code description in the Owner's Manual states: "Contact your BMW Center".

4) "Right to Repair" (Owner's RIGHT) would ONLY confuse the Ignorant Owner, and Manufacturer won't share ISTA, TIS, etc. unless YOU PAY $2,700 per annum. That marketing/sales approach offers SOME justification for requiring BMW to pay for Recall Parts & Labor. TWO "wrongs" do NOT make a "Right".

5) You can find a Lawyer that will argue ANYTHING for a Buck, e.g. DJT Atty. arguing President can Order Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival & be IMMUNE from criminal prosecution. How about NOT treating customers like the "Ignorant Idiots" you force them to BE by NOT providing technical information needed to Diagnose or Repair the Vehicle PURCHASED (NOT Rented ;-) from Manufacturer. $2,700 per annum is NOT a "Fair Price" for that information on ~ 11-19 Year-old vehicles that have NOT been produced in last 10+ years.

6) In Northern Virginia, a Clothing Salesman appeared on TV in late 70's stating: "An Educated Consumer is our BEST Customer". Unfortunately, the current business model is to convince the "Customer" that he cannot possibly understand the product, and to take $ADVANTAGE of "Customer Ignorance".

7) DIY is NOT for Everyone. The majority of folks will continue to pay OTHERS to Diagnose & Repair their vehicle, 'cuz they do NOT have the time, knowledge, tools, space, desire, etc. to maintain the vehicle themselves. Maintaining an OLD, Out-of-Warranty vehicle yourself is sustainable, up to ~ 30-years-old, for MANY vehicles today. Paying $hop Rates to someone else to do that is NOT sustainable.

8) Manufacturers should "Re-Examine" their Business Model, and accept that there are SOME folks (like me ;-) who will NEVER buy a NEW car. They are a Different Market Segment. Those folks "pad" the stats for "% still on road after 10/15 years", maintain Resale Prices, Parts Sales, etc., but provide NO Direct income (except perhaps at Parts Counter) to BMW or its Franchised Dealers. One size fits all/ NOT.
YMMV
George
I appreciate your insight but I'm just trying to get my car fixed, for something I apparently shouldn't have to do myself at this point. I feel like I just landed on Mars, because I'm just here asking about some bolts as perhaps a "normie" and proud of it.

Could I do it myself? Probably.

Do I ever get work done at a dealer? No.

Do I want to take it to the dealer because apparently they are supposed to fix it for free? Hell yeah I do. Free is free. Any lack of manliness I feel about not having done it myself will easily have the tears wiped away with a smooth $2,000 or whatever they would normally charge, held in my hands free of blood and grease for once.

I can tell from your reply you are very invested in this issue and the grander scheme of
things and I respect that deeply. However to me, it's just bolts, and when I can have it done. Nothing more, at least yet. I can tell there are a lot of very passionate people on this forum, however I just enjoy driving my car and was curious of when this recall will take effect. Anything beyond that is a foreign language to me (probably the difference of being a "BMW guy" vs. "owning and driving a BMW", I am the second thing), and I don't mind being oblivious to the now-obviously politicking of the dealerships and the battle against them, or whatever you are trying to get at.

A bit taken aback by the long long detailed post about the situation towards my tiny comment of just passing what I had heard by some random guy who drives a BMW and is clearly is not as passionate or invested about it as many of the people here. That guy is me.

Just passing along what I heard whether true or false, and looking to get some new bolts put in my engine. That's it.

I have been deeply invested in other communities for other car brands and things before, and given the surprise I gave your response I am obviously more of a "BMW driver" than a "BMW guy" and I don't mind it. Feels a bit funny to be on the other side of things. I am now one of those "2 posts a year" guys that I always giggled at in other communities and thought were so casual. Well, I'm casual and learned long ago not to get too invested in car communities or politicking as it rots your brain. You won't find me with a t-shirt with the BMW logo on it or any of that, I just drive the car and enjoy it. I'll spin a wrench if I have to, although free is free. Anyways, thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by Synchronixity; 04-27-2024 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
zhent46.50