E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Keeping your 1 safe in tough economy

02-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Keeping your 1 safe in tough economy

Saw two threads on vandalism in the main forum and today almost became a victim myself. I live in Irvine/Newport Beach area and it is known for safety and low crime rate, so never in a million years I would expect this. I went to Saagar restaurant in Newport Beach today, by the way they serve great food. Few minutes after I placed my order an elder woman and his son came rushing in and said they car was broken into. His Camry was just a few spot down from my car by the shade. Luckily, I parked my car in front of the place and kept a direct line of sight most of the time, otherwise I think I would have been the next victim.

The thieves broken into his car and stole his gps, radar detector, stereo, and his mom's purse, which she claimed was shoved under the chair. I would like to remind everyone to stow away the valuables before leaving the car, and be sure to wipe away suction cup marks from the wind shield. (The thieves know people wouldn't take the devices with them.) Another is the trade off between parking far from high volume area to avoid dings and leaving the car in an isolated area where thief can operate without being spotted.

The situation got weirder as I drove out I saw an white impala pulling in with two shave heads, one wearing dark sunglass plus an over sized t-shirt. Not your typical newport crowd with Abercrombie Fitch couture and the type that goes for indian cuisine. ( I am stereotyping a little.) I wonder if they were working in a crime ring and the first guy spotted my car and phoned someone else in to steal it. The guy gave me a hard stare as I drove by.

The guy had outfit and style like this

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Things are getting a lot worse.

Armed robbery in neighborhoods is on the rise in Houston. According to police it's mostly being done by people who have lost their jobs.

Lot's of car vandalism as well.

My friends dad was at a wedding last weekend and someone came in and said that a few cars had been broken into and everyone should check their cars.

He said screw it I don't have anything in the truck at all and didn't check. He was right that he didn't have anything important because they took the whole truck.

People get sleazier the worse things get.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
EMG E92
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Saw two threads on vandalism in the main forum and today almost became a victim myself. I live in Irvine/Newport Beach area and it is known for safety and low crime rate, so never in a million years I would expect this. I went to Saagar restaurant in Newport Beach today, by the way they serve great food. Few minutes after I placed my order an elder woman and his son came rushing in and said they car was broken into. His Camry was just a few spot down from my car by the shade. Luckily, I parked my car in front of the place and kept a direct line of sight most of the time, otherwise I think I would have been the next victim.

The thieves broken into his car and stole his gps, radar detector, stereo, and his mom's purse, which she claimed was shoved under the chair. I would like to remind everyone to stow away the valuables before leaving the car, and be sure to wipe away suction cup marks from the wind shield. (The thieves know people wouldn't take the devices with them.) Another is the trade off between parking far from high volume area to avoid dings and leaving the car in an isolated area where thief can operate without being spotted.

The situation got weirder as I drove out I saw an white impala pulling in with two shave heads, one wearing dark sunglass plus an over sized t-shirt. Not your typical newport crowd with Abercrombie Fitch couture and the type that goes for indian cuisine. ( I am stereotyping a little.) I wonder if they were working in a crime ring and the first guy spotted my car and phoned someone else in to steal it. The guy gave me a hard stare as I drove by.

The guy had outfit and style like this

kinda scary. im from newport and often see people in lambos and ferrari parked with the top down or windows down. ill be afraid for those cars.

Freelance SEO
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I really don't appreciate you posting a pic of me, even if you did find it on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
cryptkeeper
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG E92 View Post
kinda scary. im from newport and often see people in lambos and ferrari parked with the top down or windows down. ill be afraid for those cars.
I'd almost imagine that a thief is less likely to try and steal that car than he would be a civic or a camry. People notice the Lambo and the Ferrari, civics and camrys, not so much. I'd be more worried about people just touching my car from the oooh and aww factor of seeing a Ferrari or Lambo even though they are a lot more common in Newport Beach.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I really don't appreciate you posting a pic of me, even if you did find it on the internet.
LOL
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

If the Impala they were driving was nice it's probably worth as much if not more than a 135i.
      02-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
If the Impala they were driving was nice it's probably worth as much if not more than a 135i.
good one!!!

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
He said screw it I don't have anything in the truck at all and didn't check. He was right that he didn't have anything important because they took the whole truck.
Wow, that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Unfortunately no, it wasn't one of those from the 60s with chop top and rolling on 13" gold wheels. If it was probably worth more than the M3 as well, and I would ask it for a ride.
Appreciate 0