E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Finally, the answer to, "What should my first mod be?"

05-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #23
BSM Bimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
ACtually turbo upgrades should run cooler then stockers at the same psi
But who runs stock boost on upgraded turbos? I will be running 16-20 psi on pump gas + meth on the streets, and that's alot of heat being produced from demanding that much power on an already weak oil cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #24
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Nice but you forgot the clutch, with big turbos you will need it.

I am sorry to see you go man.
The clutch is listed in the write-up already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Well researched compilation! Thank you!
This was written off the top of my head in about 45 minutes with one revision mostly typos. In college I would type my rough drafts, spell check them and hand them in as final drafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolingmist View Post
This is nice for users.

If you dont mind I would like to correct this one part:

6. Methanol/Water Injection/Monitoring system. Procede users should try to stay with the Labonte IFS-10 or IF-30 fail-safe unit with their tunes for the progressive methanol mapping features. Outside of the fail-safe other components should be more than compatible.

Just want to clarify that the CMGS FS and VC2 FS will do progressive flow mapping with the Procede and will also do the map switching with the Jb3. The CMGS FS and VC2 FS is 100% compatible with the procede in this manner. CMGS/VC2 give the identical output that the labonte unit does, so the procede is blind to which controller is used.

As it stands today, Coolingmist CMGS/VC2 are the only failsafes on the market that will work progressive flow mapping with the Procede AND map switching for the Jb3. This is important for customers to be aware because not only do you have the ability to switch maps on all of the major tunes, but since CMGS is a boost gauge as well, it gives the customer another important feature.

I just wanted to clarify for customers, so they understand they do have a choice. Not everyone is aware of this yet

CM
I made this change. I would however like to see documentation on your 0v-5v output signal and how it compares with the labonte unit. Any other manufacturers or vendors wanting to chime in, please do so now while I have the drive to update my original post. My FMIC Compilation thread got too big and I couldn't keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I don't agree with the oil catch can. No one has proven that the OCC eliminates the oil buildups in the intake piping, maybe reducing it a bit...

My order would be:

1. Boost gauge
2. Exhaust
3. Intake
4. Tune
5. Intercooler
6. Downpipes
Its never been proven to prevent or eliminate. It is proven to reduce the buildup. I can personally show you the oil spot on my drive-way from when I disconnected my lower charge pipe from my stock IC outlet... This may not be the case with every vehicle, however it definately does not do any good to recirculate this muck back into the combustion chamber to be purged, burned adding to the carbon buildup on the valves and cylinder head/plugs/intake manifold. The oild build up also doesn't help shed any heat with the intake charge either, thus increasing cooldown time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM Bimmer View Post
The only thing that I see as being in the wrong order is the oil cooling. You shouldn't even consider upgraded turbos without upgrading it as our cars already run excessively hot, and their is no way our crappy stock oil coolers will hold up will to that kind of power/heat being created from 500hp
This is true in many instances, however not for me. The oil cooling really wouldn't have been a necessity for myself personally until I had the turbos. We could consider this an agreement if you consider the cooling upgrade as part of the turbo upgrade package. But its not NECESSARY before the turbos. When you break these types of things into a definitive 1,2,3 it becomes a little bit grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
have the same opinion regarding oil catch can. Just removed my FMIC and after 20.000 miles it was clean. My shop (who is setting up turbo race cars) says catch can not needed at all. Maybe I have no issue as I am not driving short distances, being nice to my car, and using good fuel (almost always vpower 100).

Regarding the list. The list is focused on power and straight line speed. For me this has the lowest priority. For me handling first, then cooling, then additional power. Power doesn't bring me anything on a curvy road.

So I would start with:
1. Suspension (M3 parts / KW V3 / ARB)
2. Tires (non-runflat for street, track tires for the track)
3. LSD
4. FMIC
5. Oil cooler (additional or Setrab replacing standard cooler)
6. Exhaust (even if it is for the sound only)
7. Seats (recaro / BMW Performance)
8. power tunes if needed

As long as you do not intend to really start playing with tunes, why would you start with a boost gauge...
Because I beleive that understanding what boost levels you run even while stock and understanding how the boost tapers and knowing 'where you stand' is much more critical for a newcomer to forced induction and a new engine platform than tuning itself. Knowledge is power. As for the OCC, this may very depending on your region. In arizona, I had a TON of blow by and my engine was burning it up... Not exactly something I want ingested into my motor. I've already got enough carbon building on the valves as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Intake #11? Bad info.. should certainly come before dp's + Ic's given the price and gains.
Intake gains are minimal. Most people do them for noise, DCI's are proven to lose power in some cases and gain power in some cases. I don't currently see an intake on the market that is reasonably priced that I'd prefer over the stock one anyway. Stock works good. This has been proven on multiple ocassions, your money would be better spent on a JB3 Pin out or a SSTT/JB+. Or better yet, you should suggest them to use that money to go get a baseline. As a matter of fact, I'm adding this to the list of things to do first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM Bimmer View Post
But who runs stock boost on upgraded turbos? I will be running 16-20 psi on pump gas + meth on the streets, and that's alot of heat being produced from demanding that much power on an already weak oil cooling system.
There is break-in time for turbos as well as tuning time that can be used to install oil/water cooling. Additional cooling should be PART of the upgraded turbo process, however they are not needed before making the upgrade to larger turbos. Hence the order of listing them.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #25
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Typos.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #26
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Very nice!
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #27
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
This is nice for users.

If you dont mind I would like to correct this one part:

6. Methanol/Water Injection/Monitoring system. Procede users should try to stay with the Labonte IFS-10 or IF-30 fail-safe unit with their tunes for the progressive methanol mapping features. Outside of the fail-safe other components should be more than compatible.

Just want to clarify that the CMGS FS and VC2 FS will do progressive flow mapping with the Procede and will also do the map switching with the Jb3. The CMGS FS and VC2 FS is 100% compatible with the procede in this manner. CMGS/VC2 give the identical output that the labonte unit does, so the procede is blind to which controller is used.

As it stands today, Coolingmist CMGS/VC2 are the only failsafes on the market that will work progressive flow mapping with the Procede AND map switching for the Jb3. This is important for customers to be aware because not only do you have the ability to switch maps on all of the major tunes, but since CMGS is a boost gauge as well, it gives the customer another important feature.

I just wanted to clarify for customers, so they understand they do have a choice. Not everyone is aware of this yet

CM
David:

Also on the flip side, the Labonte failsafe has a 12V failure output just like the CMGS/VC2, the signal the JB3 uses for its failsafe, so both the JB3 and Procede are compatible with the Labonte unit as well.
      05-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

The first two most important mods for a daily driver are 1) tune and 2) meth.

Meth lowers the intake temps, and boosts octane - none other single mod can accomplish this.
      05-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #29
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
The first two most important mods for a daily driver are 1) tune and 2) meth.

Meth lowers the intake temps, and boosts octane - none other single mod can accomplish this.
Importance on a scale that is determined by each individual. Methanol is a great mod. But its always good to promote precaution to new members.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #30
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I 2006 Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
David:

Also on the flip side, the Labonte failsafe has a 12V failure output just like the CMGS/VC2, the signal the JB3 uses for its failsafe, so both the JB3 and Procede are compatible with the Labonte unit as well.
Actually this is not true, the JB3 does not use a 12V signal.

CMGS has the ability to do many different types of signals.

0-5 V output with .1 volts for every 100 CC/M of flow
5V output based when you are within your flow window
5V output once you have past a boost threshold and within your flow window
12V output (with relay)
or ground output (NC, NO, NC only when within the flow window, NC only within the flow window once past boost threshold)

If you give the Jb3 a 12V signal, it will not switch maps. Its important the customers understand this. My company worked with Terry for about 2 months to get the map switching to work. We actually created a param in the flash that is only used for the JB3.

CM

Last edited by coolingmist; 05-22-2010 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #31
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Actually this is not true, the JB3 does not use a 12V signal.

CMGS has the ability to do many different types of signals.

0-5 V output with .1 volts for every 100 CC/M of flow
5V output based when you are within your flow window
5V output once you have past a boost threshold and within your flow window
12V output (with relay)
or ground output (NC, NO, NC only when within the flow window, NC only within the flow window once past boost threshold)

If you give the Jb3 a 12V signal, it will not switch maps. Its important the customers understand this. My company worked with Terry for about 2 months to get the map switching to work. We actually created a param in the flash that is only used for the JB3.

CM
As per the BMS 2.0 meth mapping description:

Meth Map: Enables a hardware based methanol safety for those using the CMGS and other similar flow sensor devices. When methanol is flowing within a window enables map selected. To trigger feed a 5v signal in to pin 15 of the JB3 DB25, or a 12v signal through a 10k ohm 1/4 watt series resistor.
      05-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #32
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I 2006 Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
As per the BMS 2.0 meth mapping description:

Meth Map: Enables a hardware based methanol safety for those using the CMGS and other similar flow sensor devices. When methanol is flowing within a window enables map selected. To trigger feed a 5v signal in to pin 15 of the JB3 DB25, or a 12v signal through a 10k ohm 1/4 watt series resistor.

The CMGS does not need a 10K OHM 1/4 watt series resistor. I cant comment about any other parts that any other failsafe would need. CMGS / VC2 does this natively without the need for any other parts. either way thats interesting.

CM
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #33
db2761
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Thanks for the info.. Glad that I found it here and these forums before I made any more potential mistakes.

db
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #34
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

good info in this thread
      05-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #35
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Importance on a scale that is determined by each individual. Methanol is a great mod. But its always good to promote precaution to new members.

Except that by assigning numbers to mods you make some rank higher than others. And who makes that 'new members' call - you??
      05-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #36
cocoturkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 335i

I think you should put BBK somewhere... safety is your first priority....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #37
mechanixhorseman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Intake didn't make the list? Maybe I missed it.

edit: nevermind
///2007 335i Coupe Space Metal Gray///Sports///Premium///6AT///Piano Black Forgestar 18" F14 8.5" front 10" rear///JB3///Cooling Mist CMGS Methanol Kit///aFe DCI///Stett Chargepipe///Tial BOV///BSH Oil Catch Can

Last edited by mechanixhorseman; 05-23-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #38
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Except that by assigning numbers to mods you make some rank higher than others. And who makes that 'new members' call - you??
I'm not sure if you are upset or not. I assigned numbers to these modifications by my personal experience and opinion. Maybe you didn't read the first portion of my post? And yes, I'm making, 'that call'. I'm fairly new to the N54 scene and have ascertained this information. If its unknown to some, then I'd call them a newer member than myself. Perhaps new member isn't the right word? I suppose noob would be more fitting, but you know what I mean. No need to get the panties in a bundle over something this little. If its a big deal I can go back through and revise that phrase out of my post. I just put it up to help some people out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoturkey View Post
I think you should put BBK somewhere... safety is your first priority....
I definitely agree that BBK is a great mod. However the costs associated with a BBK and the limited ACTUAL usage of the modification put it out of my list. I whole heartedly agree that its an important step in the process while dealing with track events and high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #39
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

1. High Performance Driving School (the driver mod)

That should be first on most everyone's list.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #40
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
1. High Performance Driving School (the driver mod)

That should be first on most everyone's list.
Haha true, that or that one thing, common sense. I was lucky enough to grow up driving in the rural northwest. Learn a lot of respect for the road as well as a good feel for a manual transmission in the twisties up and down grades. I can name several dead classmates from driving into rivers, trees, walls, into hydroelectric dams...Yeah... Curvy roads with weather conditions and a bunch of crazy hill billies driving in both lanes is no joke.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #41
Enicinitas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray Coupe

Klipseracer,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm basically going down this path that you outlined - it is also great because it is "flame" retardant, props for including most of the vendors as viable options. I just thought it deserved a bump because it really does outline the important things that through trial and error I'm learning. It also encourages people to do research vs. picking up a phone and trusting somebody who's job it is to sell you something on the other line.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #42
yabcoder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

i like this post but just want to modify the list kinda to suit my needs as warranty is the biggest issue for me as of now, so tune first stay bone stock for awhile and then go to exhaust when warranty is almost gone and/or find a dealer that wont be hard asses, then down pipes and fmic to start going big, then radiator and oil cooler to keep temps low once i start pusing the boost up more, i dont like the idea of spraying and we have 93 octane here in fl so next things i would only do (but only if i plan in keeping the car a long time after warranty) would be lsd + suspension + clutch as the car will probably need a new clutch and sus anyways. and then if that still isnt enough slap on some new turbos, hmm rotors may have to get in there somewhere too

1 tune
2 cat back
3 down pipes
4 fmic
5 radiator
6 oil cooler
7 lsd
8 suspension
9 clutch
10 turbos

i like this list

im total noob by the way so thought i would post since so many people say the noobs are still gonna be posting

I would much rather just be able to buy an m3 in 3 years tbo though , wont know if thats possible until the time comes though, maybe just get a CPO 2009 or 2010 m3 in 3 or 4 years

pics: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415615

Last edited by yabcoder; 08-02-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #43
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Damn. This Thread just woke up from beyond the graves. OP doesn't have his car anymore
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #44
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

sticky ! must be the most common question asked here.
Appreciate 0