E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > First dance with an N54

Closed Thread

01-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #45
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Rossim3 we have a track day on the 17th of March, put your money where your mouth is and well do some runs.

M3 is a great car, but it's no match for a modded n54 in either the e9x chassis or the ugly sister 135 for the sort of track/road runs 95% of BMW drivers undertake.

An M is an M and special in it's own way. It's a shame BMW have diluted the M value with cars such as the 135 and 335, I'd feel your pain too given the price difference when a 1M spanks you with a $1200 tune
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #46
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

The plot thickens!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #47
rossiM3
Rep
Drives: Banned

Im too scared to track and im not really a good driver. Sorry man you put me in my place. I dont deserve an M3, deep down im really just a poser with money..

On another note, is the track day at eastern creek since your from sydney? Let me know what lap times you pull. iv never timed or raced a car there but id love to see what times the 335/M3 get compared to my St George Road race series days.....600RR for racing, M3 for road.

Best time i got on a 600 was 1:42.1 which was pretty ordinary

Last edited by rossiM3; 01-26-2011 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #48
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossiM3 View Post
iv never timed or raced a car there but id love to see what times the 335/M3 get compared to my St George Road race series days.....600RR for racing, M3 for road.

i'm with you mate..whenever i feel the urge for "a need for speed", i'd rather take my bike than driving as the acceleration is just fking awesome..who cares you are driving a M3 or a 335is?my ZX-6R would beat ya in most any bad ass car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #49
rossiM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja333 View Post
i'm with you mate..whenever i feel the urge for "a need for speed", i'd rather take my bike than driving as the acceleration is just fking awesome..who cares you are driving a M3 or a 335is?my ZX-6R would beat ya in most any bad ass car.

Yeah man, no way would i take my M3 to the track. I dont have the balls to race such an expensive car, specially when insurance doesnt cover sht on the track.

Nothing beats the pleasure and fun you get on a bike. Love the ZX-6R by the way, such an awesome bike! good taste!

Best feeling iv ever experienced is turn 1 at EC on the bike. Hammering down the straight and holding on to the last second when you let go of the gas and just dump it into turn 1 at 240-250kms. No braking, just hanging on for dear life with your face and knee inches away from the ground.......

Iv heard turn 1 and 2 at PI is even better!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #50
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Bikes are no comparison! When talking about bikes there's no such thing as a 'fast car'.

There's very little chance I'll be able to afford a 335i so to satisfy my need for speed I'll toy with the idea of a 135i.

I would sell one kidney and/or lung as needed to own Saferisk's car!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #51
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
i haven't taken my bike to the track yet, but i'll do a Nasho run at least once a week, nothing has brought a smile to my face like winding that 600 through the twisties
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #52
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Holy mofoing post fest! Did everyone just spend their whole Australia day in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
... was lucky enough to be a passenger in Jeef's tuned 135i last night and holy sh*t that car, and the N54 engine with procede is FAST!

I knew it would be a detrimental experience (to my bank account) because now I really really want to upgrade!

Only thing is that whilst I'm sure I could afford a second hand 135i (similar value to my E92) I don't know if buying a second hand N54 engine is a smart idea AND I don't like the shape of the 1er as much as the 3er.

Which means I'd need to come up with ~$20k to find a similar spec'd and similar condition 335i.

My brain is telling me right now to not invest any more money in cars (even though I'm going to spend some $$$ on small mods for my N52) but if a decent priced, good condition 335i (in similar spec to mine) made itself available then I'd be all over it like freckles on a ginger kid.

Also, anyone that doesn't have the Procede for their N54 - go get it!
Glad you enjoyed the ride mate, and that's on V4 software. Should be making more power with V5.

Hope you got a good feeling for the SSK too, the thing absolutely transforms the feel of the car I wouldn't worry too much about jumping into an N54 equipped car...your one right now looks like sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I keep thinking that more power would be fun, but there's generally enough oomph when driven hard to have fun in corners, and on the straights, you are at licence losing territory quite quickly.

For track work and competition, I can see the benefit but as a daily driver, unless you are financially ready, I'm less sure.

And to my mind it's about the whole package, not just performance. For me, I'd rather wait and move into a 1M or E90 M3 when that is obtainable.
M cars are a different league. We N54 owners install piggies not as a way to beat the M3, but as a way to extract the most out of the engine. I paid good money for it, so why can't I have my full 600nm?

Quote:
Whatever you do then DO NOT go for a drive in an M3..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianPete View Post
in my mind... my car is waaaay better than an M3

(and hence avoiding ever stepping into one)
LMAO I take my previous statement back.

Quote:
You're going to have to speak up man, i cant hear you over the v8

j/k, seriously though the 135 is an amazing package! To the OP, remember you wont get the same experience in a 335. its alot heavier....
Someone has already mentioned, it's only a 50kg difference. It'll be a one tenth difference

Quote:
woah wtf happened here since I posted!!

xsboost, that sounds like a really good price to pay for your car!
I'd be looking at around the 75k mark right now for an 08 model onwards with less than 50,000kms.

I don't think I can make it work financially right now though (upgrade to 335 that is). Have to wait a little while longer.. or maybe my e90post stickers will start selling like iPods

rossi, I know the 335 is slightly heavier but with that much torque I don't believe it'll make that much difference. I'd be going the whole hog anyway and do intercooler, downpipes, exhaust system.

Speedwise, I'm pretty sure a tuned N54 is faster than a stock M3? Although I do concede the M3 has the whole package, handling etc.

John, I agree with you though that our cars/engines have enough power for everyday driving. I'm happy with my car about 87% of the time, it just needs a little bit more low down torque and I'd be happy about 92% of the time lol.
A tuned N54 will destroy a stock M3 in a straight line, but again that's not the point. The M3 is a much better overall package and has the AWESOME V8 noise.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #53
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

To be fair on this debate, how does a fully tuned M3 compare to a fully tuned 335?
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #54
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

its always the 13% or 8% of the time that your unhappy that one does silly things....lol.
      01-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #55
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
To be fair on this debate, how does a fully tuned M3 compare to a fully tuned 335?
Not sure what you mean by 'fully-tuned'. You can add supercharger kits to the M3, and you can add larger turbos to the N54. There are just too many variables to say what is considered to be fully tuned.

A $1,000 piggyback is hardly considered to be anything more than mild tuning however.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #56
orey
Banned
Rep
Drives: the forums

sbc awfully quite after he deleted his post.

probably the smartest thing hes done so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #57
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
what boost does the procede allow the car to run at?

What 0-100 time or 1/4 does your car run?
New Procede stuff is pretty cool, there was a dude in the states running map 1 who got 4.5 sec 0-60Miles on his VBOX apparently on run-flats....crazy stuff, I think it wont be that surprising to see people now achieving 400+rwhp with out the use of Meth or Upgraded turbos, although I'm curious to see how the rest of the componentry on the 335 and 135's will hold up.....

Has me a little worried....
      01-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #58
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Rossim3 we have a track day on the 17th of March, put your money where your mouth is and well do some runs.

M3 is a great car, but it's no match for a modded n54 in either the e9x chassis or the ugly sister 135 for the sort of track/road runs 95% of BMW drivers undertake.

An M is an M and special in it's own way. It's a shame BMW have diluted the M value with cars such as the 135 and 335, I'd feel your pain too given the price difference when a 1M spanks you with a $1200 tune
Out of curiosity, have you dyno'd your car with your mods on V5? Btw was just reading your signature, nice mods!
      01-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #59
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
M3 next?
Quite possible.

In all honesty, I would love to buy an M3, but when the time comes to buy a Bimmer again, it would be hard to go past the 335i again. (LCI model this time)

I love to tinker, and tinkering with an M3 requires a budget I don't have.

RossiM3, my 335i is pretty much completely stock engine wise (Chris [Suff] currently has my Injen DCI's), and therefore 0-100 would be ~5secs. I was talking hypotheticals eg. WOPALX's beast!!
      01-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #60
rossiM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saferisk View Post
New Procede stuff is pretty cool, there was a dude in the states running map 1 who got 4.5 sec 0-60Miles on his VBOX apparently on run-flats....crazy stuff, I think it wont be that surprising to see people now achieving 400+rwhp with out the use of Meth or Upgraded turbos, although I'm curious to see how the rest of the componentry on the 335 and 135's will hold up.....

Has me a little worried....
A stock M3 is around 4.5 0-60....like it was said above, the piggy back is only a1k mod. To make an m3 faster you need to spend a min of around 10k..

Last edited by rossiM3; 01-26-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #61
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saferisk View Post
Out of curiosity, have you dyno'd your car with your mods on V5? Btw was just reading your signature, nice mods!
No dyno for a long time, last dyno I did was a bit of a disaster as I left the building .... literally There is a thread here from around the end of 2007 if you search.

When I finally bight the bullet and get some larger turbo's car will be dyno'd before and after. Just struggling to convince myself that $5K invested in the car makes sense given I've got a 2nd kid starting private school this year.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #62
QUM01Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / 2011 Merc C250

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post

OUCH!!

JB4/ AR DP's/M Sport/ 19" Double Spoke Alloys/ Roof/ Blk Front Grilles/ Comfort Access.
www.uniquemobiles.com.au
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #63
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

As you said they are expensive cars to fix if you have a significant off at the track. I tend to go out in the novice groups so I'm well away from others and don't feel compelled to push beyond my low level of ability.

I've run the 335 at EC a couple of times, never officially timed it but around the 1.50 mark. SPDRCR was in the low 1.4x's from memory in his 135 but he's a bloody good driver unlike myself just out there for a good time without worrying about police.

I've also had a couple of days in the current M3 at EC, great car for the track but lacking in low end torque unless your right up in the rev range, vastly different driving methodology needed.

Quote:
Im too scared to track and im not really a good driver. Sorry man you put me in my place. I dont deserve an M3, deep down im really just a poser with money..

On another note, is the track day at eastern creek since your from sydney? Let me know what lap times you pull. iv never timed or raced a car there but id love to see what times the 335/M3 get compared to my St George Road race series days.....600RR for racing, M3 for road.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #64
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

whew, looks like the 335"s pretty good value for money from comments here considering it can outdo a M3 with just a 1 grand upgrade..what was BMW thinking?...
Going to the high spending extreme, what if both spent more and the 335 went for larger turbos,etc. and the M3 went all out too, say both went within a 20K budget?..What sort of performance difference we talking then between the 2 cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #65
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Turbo'd/Supercharged M3 > N54 with mods
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #66
rossiM3
Rep

Quote:
Turbo'd/Supercharged M3 > N54 with mods
Twin Turbo V8 m3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477238

This is how the M3 should of been. 200 pounds lighter with the twin turbo V8 from the X5M/X6M
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread