E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Window Issues - Help

11-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
quiksilver m3
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 widebody and S/C'ed

Window Issues - Help

Hey all,
I am hoping you can help me.
I just had my passengers seat air bag sensor mat replaced at the dealership, and when they returned the car I noticed after driving home my rear driver side window will not roll up. Every other window is fine. I hear the motor clicking, but it will not go up, it rolled down (obviously) but will not roll back.
When I got in the car after they reprogrammed the car for the mat I noticed 1) the presets on my radio were all gone. 2) I noticed for a split second in the dash display a yellow window half rolled down with an exclamation mark next to it (since then, that display will not come back up), and 3) the car seemed to not "act" the same.

I know the window is fine because I just had the regulator replaced not too long ago and it worked then, and the window hasnt gone up or down since then because I have had the AC running.

Any help would be appreciated. I reall dont want to have to drive back to the dealership, which is an hour away, and have them possibly charge me for something they did if I can just fix it myself.

BTW it is a 2006 E90 325i
Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
quiksilver m3
Rep

Ok here is the latest,
I found an article on another site:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=623194&page=2

and made attempt to follow the instructions to the letter....
It works.... Sorta
It will only roll up and down in like 2-3 inch increments. It takes me 5 pushes of the button to roll the window up or down.
If I hold the button up when the window is completely up, it will then smoothly roll all the way down with the button pushed down.... but when I try to roll it back up... it get stuck in the down position all over again and I have to repeat the steps in the link to get it to roll up. And of course again it will only roll up in 2-3 inch increments

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get this to work properly.
I mean obviously it isnt the regulator or the motor, but it is going up and down without problems. It just stops at 2-3 inch increments and when it stops, you dont hear the window motor running or anything. It just shuts off.
Also I have no error messages on my display.

I have spoken to the dealership and they are telling me it is not their fault, even though they reprogrammed the computer and stated they did it on a charger for some reason. Even though I didnt have this issue prior to bringing it in. They keep telling me it is a regulator or motor... which it is obviously not.

Last edited by quiksilver m3; 11-04-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

It rolls up 2-3 inches at a time when it's not initialized correctly...try this procedure here:http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462100

Basically, turn the ignition on and roll the window all the way down, let go and then hold the open button for a second or two. Then roll it all the way up and hold the close button for a second or two. Repeat that once or twice and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
quiksilver m3
Rep

Thanks KKasson,
Currently the anti-pinch or anti-trap error is showing in my dash display. It goes out after a few seconds.

This is new of course, but I havent gotten a chance to do the m3post fix yet because of the darkness.

I have tried it before and it didnt seem to work, but that was also before I did the 17 second fix as I stated above.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There seem to be 2 or 3 different procedures floating around for how to initialize the windows...it's been a while since I had to do it on mine so I don't remember which of them actually worked for me, but it sounds like that's what the issue is. You might want to search around and see if you can find any other methods for doing it, and try all of them until one of them works.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
quiksilver m3
Rep

Ok, here is the latest.
Everytime I try to set the limits and get it to go up and down without issue, it will roll down without any issue... but then it will be stuck down. So then I have to do the whole thing over still.

At this point I am lost. I dont know what else to do
It cant be a regulator or motor issue, right? Because it will go all the way down with out issue, it also goes up and down after the 17 second anti-trap reset in 2-3 inch sections. So the whole thing has to be in the programming.
I mean since I took it to the dealership to have the passenger air bag mat replaced and they "reprogrammed" the car, it have had an issue with this window.

Does it sound right that they messed up the window with the "reprogramming"
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It shouldn't be related...the airbags use a different module than the one that controls the windows. I'm guessing the radio presets were gone because they disconnected the battery to do the airbag mat.

It's possible that there was an issue with the window starting to happen before you brought it to them, and when they disconnected the battery they weren't able to initialize the window because of the problem.

I have an issue with my rear passenger window where it will work fine unless it's rolled down all the way. If it's rolled down all the way it will roll up about half an inch and then go back down. It'll do that ten times before it finally goes up. Sounds similar to your problem, but maybe not the same. Someone else posted a thread about it a couple weeks ago and they decided the problem is the window motor is starting to die, and it's drawing too much current which triggers the anti-trap function. I'm not sure if that's your problem, but that's all I can think of.

You could try resetting and re initializing the passenger side window. If it resets and then initializes correctly on that side, and doesn't work on the driver's side, then I don't know what else it would be besides the motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325xiT 6MT, F31 328xdT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver m3 View Post
Ok, here is the latest.
Everytime I try to set the limits and get it to go up and down without issue, it will roll down without any issue... but then it will be stuck down. So then I have to do the whole thing over still.

At this point I am lost. I dont know what else to do
It cant be a regulator or motor issue, right? Because it will go all the way down with out issue, it also goes up and down after the 17 second anti-trap reset in 2-3 inch sections. So the whole thing has to be in the programming.
I mean since I took it to the dealership to have the passenger air bag mat replaced and they "reprogrammed" the car, it have had an issue with this window.

Does it sound right that they messed up the window with the "reprogramming"
Have you found a solution? I'm running into the exact same thing. The window goes down, and holding the switch in the down position disables the anti-trap every time. I can then roll it up in increments, then roll it down in one shot, at which point it gets "stuck" down and I am back to where I started.
Appreciate 0