E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > I need your help - Carbon Build Up

01-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
pjuhlin
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D

I need your help - Carbon Build Up

2009 335d
60,000 miles
Carbon Build Up - extended warranty will not cover and BMW NA is treating me horrible.

I just went in again to talk to my service rep manager to continue pressing them to fix the Carbon Build
Up issue. I need some help from the forum:
The service manager needs other case examples of this problem to pull up so he can show examples to the regional rep who is coming in town on Tuesday. He needs the last 7 numbers of the VIN from other Carbon build up D's to pull up cases from their database. Anyone that's had Carbon buildup please PM or email the last 7 digits of the VIN for me to compile a case list. patrickjuhlin@gmail.com In return I will put together a comprehensive case for others to use in the future and for a group letter.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Hope you get some help on this.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Contact Emily at BMWNA - contact info below.

Emily is the rep I have been conversing with in response to my note to BMW Group. Let Emily know that you were referred on "E90 Post" by a fellow 335d owner that she has traded e-mails and voicemails with. It is important for BMWNA and BMW Group to know this issue is becoming public knowledge and therefore it is in their own best interest to step in front of this and take responsibility for what appears to be an engineering design flaw.

Once again I reached out to Emily in an effort to rekindle our discussion as it relates this very issue and our concerns with respect to the short/long term reliability of our 335d's. I also provided a link to this post.

What I find truly disappointing is, BMWNA's refusal to stand behind its' product in the face of a growing and well known issue. The fact that BMWNA would go so far as to blame an owner for this design flaw is astounding!

BMWNA Contact: Please contact Emily and report back as to her response.

I have attempted to contact you and have been unable to reach you.

Your satisfaction is our most important priority. It would be my pleasure to speak with you if you still require assistance. I can be reached at 1-800-831-1117, ext. 8993.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Time.

Sincerely,

Erin Waugh
BMW Customer Relations and Services
Representative

Last edited by cssnms; 01-26-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Sent you my last 7 digits via PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
What is their reasoning with the extended warranty not covering this? Did you purchase your warranty through BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I know you're referring to the OP but I'll chime in. My extended warranty wasn't even purchased through BMW. The dealer had no reservations at all in replacing my intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Messiah62
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

How would one know if they have carbon build up?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
OP Did you buy extended warranty from BMW or 3rd party. Even though I cant help you directly since I didnt have carbon build up but I was thinking to write to BMWNA with my fear of owning vehicle beyond main warranty period. Is it good idea?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
pjuhlin
Private
Rep

Thanks for everyone that has sent me their last 7 VIN digits. Hopefully this helps! Anymore people whiling to help I am greatly appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjuhlin View Post
Thanks for everyone that has sent me their last 7 VIN digits. Hopefully this helps! Anymore people whiling to help I am greatly appreciative.
How many so far?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
pjuhlin
Private
Rep

Two so far and the Service Rep claims that both had no work done in their system, atleast work that BMW paid for. I really need your help now becuase the reagional rep is in town tomorrow morning!!! I need some amunition that somewhere BMW has covered the costs. I have read mutliple cases where this happnened but I need to provide proof.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

From the other forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzep View Post
Not quite sure where to start and do not want this to sound like a downer on the X3 because I actually like it - just plagued by the carbon/crud build up problem (I think).
Bought the X3, 2.0 SE diesel in 2006 when 6 months old and had good service from the dealer until the warranty expired, which is when the yellow engine light started to come on and briefly after 3 years of trying to resolve still no success.
Last year spent a fortune replacing various parts that the dealer recommended should be changed - computer diagnostics said so, EGR, sensor valve?, Air mass filter....etc. finally took it to an independent who instantly said the inlet manifold needed cleaning which he duly did. This finally worked for a while but for the last 6 months the light is back....miles per gallon has reduced again to around 25 daily and 45 on a run. Used to do 35 daily when bought.

I've moved to shell v-power and noticed knocking when idling?

My driving pattern probably doesn't help as its mainly 10 miles to work and 10 miles back although I do give it a long run once a month (200 miles) and try and give it a high rev cycle (~4000 revs) for about 10 mins every week.
I'm waiting for something I saw on the web from "power enhancer" BG244 diesel fuel cleaner - I'm not 100% confident this will sort out the problem. I will even start doing more regular oil services myself earlier than the indicator - is there a good step by step guide?

Just looking for guidance on what I can do as I intend to keep the car as its practical and I do like it even though its a hard ride - but really frustrated by this.

I am considering either replacing or cleaning the inlet manifold again - is this something that a practical DIYer can do? If so is there a good step by step guide or can someone help me with a guide.

I used to do most of the engine work myself on my earlier cars many moons ago but have been softened up by the newer cars.

Are there any other products that I could used to clean out the air intake side rather than the fuel end?

Any help or guidance appreciated as I am loathe to go back to the dealer again and the independent although good still wasn't able to resolve this - or am I asking too much?

Cheers and thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
Amigos this what I wrote in the other forum:

Amigos I can attest to this supposedly carbon build up this last saturday as I was going to the 1/2 mile race I had the ENGINE light come up and man i almost SHEIT on myself. I called my mechanic as he was going to race my car for me since I have a broken hand. He told that that occurs also with the JBD on some of his clients. and informed me not to worry I stopped turn car off and back on and it was GONE!! OK I deided later to press on it and GUESS WHAT? Not only the ENGINE light come but also the damn ESE light F'me now Im pissed and scared. I stopped and turned off and back on AGAIN! and the engine light gone but not the SES.

The car was running quite VAGUELY but I realized the the day before I had put on 3 ounces of Amsoil DIESEL injector cleaner and 3ounces of AMSOIL CETANE Booster, I guess all the SOOT was coming off since it had been a month since I had stopped using DIESEL Injector Cleaner. Anyway, my friend drove the 1/2 mile race and he told he clocked 150 mph at the end of the track but forgot to clock at the 1/2 marker(he did it twice) he was VERY IMpressed with the DIESEL, he had had many gassers during his youth and was ALL smiles with the DIESEL. My car clocked the first time 120 mph which I found very disturbing since I had a better program come to find out the systme was not calibrated weel and many competirors were complaining.

Anyway, once I took the car and drove to my uncles house I noticed the car was eager and loose, i looked at my girlfriend and told her "Hey something is wrong with the car, she REPLIED by saying The car is responding better!!" I drove the car to the 1/2 mile race went to my uncles ate and got drunk partied at nite, next day drove to the other extreme of the island and went to see my friends game and drank and ate an came home and looked at the tnak and guess what? 1/2 tank on 243 miles, PRICELES!!!! Now my girlfriend wants a DIESEL!!!

P.S. The SES light went off the next day at my uncles.
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg601 View Post
got the new injector but the car still runs rough-they say carbon build in the intake manifold, maybe in the top end as well. they will clean the intake manifold but gratis but won't take the head off for free.

I think I was the first to have the egr valve problem which led to the recall. I wonder if running for 80K with the old emissions gear caused the carbon build or if it will occur in all of these 50 state cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNC81 View Post
Scan of what was done with mine (used OCR to convert to text):

CUSTOMER CAME TO PICK UP CAR AND SES LIGHT WAS BACK ON . CAR
DID NOT LEAVE THE DEALER SHIP.
SHORT TESTED CAR AND FOUND FAULTS 4583 AND 4585 NOX SENSORS
AFTER CAT AND BEFORE CAT.NO TESTPLAN AVALIBLE FOR FAULTS
FAULTS DUE TO PROGRAMMING FROM LAST REPAIR AS PER PUMA.
PUMA SAID LTO REPLACE THE NOX SENSORS.REPLACED BOTH BEFORE
CAT AND AFTER CAT NOX SENSOR. CLEARED FAULTS AND TEST DROVE
PUMA CASE # 49531330
AFTER 30 MILES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CANE BACK ON FOR FAULT
4AF5 ZERO QUANITY ADAPTION INJECTOR # 3.TESTPLAN SAID TO
REPLACED CYLINDER 3 INJECTOR.
SUPPLEMENTED TC CASE AND REPLACEMENT OF INJECTOR #3 WAS
AUTHORIZED. REPLACED CYL #3 FUEL INJECTOR, CALIBRATED TO DDE
AND PERFORMED FUEL SYSTEM BLEED TEST PLAN. CLEARED FAULT
MEMORY AND PERFORMED EXTENDED TEST DRIVE.
LIGHT CAME BACK ON AFTER TEST DRIVE FOR 4C04 EXHAUST GAS
TEMP FAULT AND SMOOTH RUNNING FAULTS CYLINDER 3,5,6,1
AS PER PUMA REMOVED INTAKE TO CHECK FOR CARBON AND CARBON
WAS FOUND IN INTAKE, VALVE COVER,EGR,THROTTLE VALVE AND
CYLINDER HEAD.
AS PER PUMA REPLACED CYLINDER HEAD. INTAKE,VALVE COVER,EGR
AND THROTTLE VALVE.PERFORMED RETRO FIT IN ISTA FOR NEW
EGR VALVE AND CODED COMPLETE CAR.

- -QTY- - -FP-NUMBER DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE-

1 13-62-8-511-666 SENSOR FOR NOX WARRANTY

1 13-62-8-511-665 SENSOR FOR NOX WARRANTY

1 13-53-7-808-094 RMFD INJECTOR WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-806-061 CYLINDER HEAD WARRANTY

1 11-12-O-421-276 GASKET SET CYLINDER WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-798-532 SET BOLT CYLINDER H WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-809.860 CYLINDER HEAD COVER WARRANTY

1 11-61-7-823-073 INTAKE MANIFOLD WIT WARRANTY

1 11-71.8.517-217 EGR-VALVE WARRANTY

1 13-54-7-792-098 O-RING WARRANTY

1 11-71-7-804-384 THROTTLE WARRANTY

1 11-12-7-801-699 CYLINDER HEAD GASKE WARRANTY

2 07-11-9-963.151 GASKET RING WARRANTY

1 64-55-7-793-608 RIBBED V-BELT WARRANTY

1 82-14-1-467-704 ANTIFREEZE WARRANTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
This is the same reason I was given. Excessive carbon buildup. Honestly the SES light in my case isn't false, there are drive-ability issues. Hopefully that won't be the case after the replacement but we will see. I will report back once it is completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg601 View Post
reached 75K with no problems except a "service engine soon" notice which turned out to be a clogged EGR valve. They said BMW expected their customers to drive their cars harder to cleanse the valve.

At any rate, they redesigned the valve and have a new model to install. It requires special reprogramming. My car is in the shop while they wait for a German BMW engineer to come back from holiday to supervise the reprogramming.

the cost is $1100. Not covered by exhaust warranty they say and even though they redesigned the part it is not an official recall. They say my car has too many miles for a goodwill repair

Otherwise the car is perfect- about 32 combined mileage

They gave me a 328 sport model as a loaner. pretty fun but no comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

And locally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robspages View Post
Yr: 2009
Model: 335d
Mileage: 40k
Avg MPG: 32.7
Avg Spd: 44.5
Fuel: Sunoco/WaWa
Drive type: 4
70/30 hwy/city. My commute is 37 miles each way with most of that being high traffic highway.

Carbon build up issue yes or no? Yes

Additional info:

Msg from BMW tech: "swirl flap linkage was binding and a large amount of carbon build is present"

I bought my D in June 2012 with 20k on the odo. I did nearly double that in the 6 months since.
Quote:
For me, parts started to fail all related to air intake and emissions. It started with the mass air sensor, then a thermal sensor, followed by some related codes. After those were clear, the Service Engine Soon light returned. Certain Subaru engines show a similar pattern when the turbos start to die: metal fillings from the turbos start to foul intake parts before thrashing around in your engine. With that in mind, I did some Internet searches (most pointed here and 'fest) and when the SES returned, I asked the tech to check for carbon/oil build-up or metal filings as that many parts dying in succession sounded fishy to me.
Quote:
Car is back home. I've driven about 80 miles on it since they handed it over at 1pm this afternoon and it feels great to have it back. Mileage seems to have improved by +5 mpg so far. I DO baby my car. It rarely sees over 3,000 RPM and still cruise at a pretty good clip like that.

Here are the codes, dates, parts and comments from my 3 trips leading up to and including the carbon build up removal. The text has been reformatted by me to be more readable. Fault codes and things I thought important are in bold.

12/14/2012
-------------------------
37,316 miles

Summary: SES due to Mass Air Sensor failure

Service notes: Factory Fault in DDE: 3FF1 Air Mass Flow Sensor. Completed test plan for fault. Inspected engine for air leaks, smoke test engine air ducts. No leaks present. Inspect sensor connections and signal/power/ground. No Fault. Replaced Mass Air Flow Sensor. Complete Service Test Plan to clear DDE Air Flow Sensor Adaptation and cleared fault memory. Test drove vehicle.

Parts:
1 13.62-8-509-725 HOT-FILM AIR MASS M

01/11/2013
------------------------
39,245 miles

Summary: SES from intake pressure loss. Temp sensor threw failure once that was cleared

Service Notes: Intake charge air pressure loss due to leaking charge air pipes. Connect battery charger to vehicle and complete vehicle test. Faults stored in DDE: 4595 Smooth running controller. Cylinder 6: 3FF1 Air Mass Flow sensor.

Complete test plan for faults and complete inspection for leaks with smoke machine. No air leaks present. Per test plan, replaced charge air temperature sensor, cleared fault memory and drove vehicle overnight.

Rechecked faults and found 3FF1 fault returned. Per fault data, inspect air pipes for oil residue indicating air leakage. Found oil residue on both charge air pipes.

Complete test plan again and select air leaks as fault.

Replaced both intake charge air pipes: Intercooler to EGR and Intercooler to turbocharger then cleared fault memory and test drove vehicle again. No faults returned

Parts:
1 13-62-7-812-741 TEMPERATURE SENSOR
1 11-61-7-812-274 CHARGE AIR LINE
1 11-61-8-506-078 CHARGE AIR LINE

01/25/2013
----------------------------
40,024 miles

Summary: SES back on due to swirl flaps binding, incorrect air flow through manifold

Service Notes: Intake manifold swirl flaps are binding and causing incorrect air flow through manifold causing air mass fault

VOR intake manifold for Tuesday / Fedex failed to deliver on Tuesday

Connect Battery charger to vehicle and complete vehicle test. Fault stored in DDE: Air Mass Fault. Complete test plan for fault. Test intake air temperature sensor and mass air flow sensor. No Fault.

Smoke test engine and intake system, no leaks present.

Removed engine covers and intake manifold to inspect swirl flaps. Found linkage was binding at some spots

Ordered intake manifold.

92575 - Installed New intake manifold
51372 - Cleared fault memory and test drove vehicle overnight

Rechecked vehicle faults, no faults stored in vehicle and no warning lights are on or came on during drive.

Parts:
1 303 BRAKLEEN 5
1 304 GUM CUTTER 5
1 11-61-8-519-140 INTAKE MANIFOLD WIT
1 13-54-7-792-098 O-RING
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Robspage, I had my air intake manifold replaced too. My invoice said one of the reasons stated due to changing the air intake manifold was "carbon build-up."

My car only had 22,000 kms (14,000 miles) on it when this happened last summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedaDiesel_335D View Post
My driving habits and fuel purchases mirror Robspages’. I had 47k miles on my car before the new EGR was installed. I included my recent history up to carbon cleaning and intake manifold replacement.

Yr: 2010
Model: 335d
Mileage: 55k
Avg MPG: 32
Avg Spd: 41.5
Fuel: Sunoco (85%)/WaWa (15%)
Drive type: 3-4 (most miles are commuting)
65/35 hwy/city. Commute is 35 miles each (70 miles a day, but have an SUV I drive 1-2 days a week – more during the winter)

Carbon build up issue yes or no? Yes

Additional info:
Have changed oil every 6,500 miles since car was new (either dealer or myself using Castro Edge LL04).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My History and codes:
6/4/2012
46,706 miles
Summary: Replace EGR Valve and Mixer Program w/CAS
No SES Codes yet

Parts:
1 18-30-8-512-438 Mixer E570431
1 11-71-8-512-526 EGR Valve
Numerous nuts, gaskets and 0-rings

6/20/2012 – 2 weeks after EGR was replaced (had car 7 days)
47,223 miles
Summary: SES Code Triggered, Performed ISID Test found fault code 4B05 Cyl 4 0 adaptn (if I remember correctly, this code showed up as P02D3 on the OBDII reader)

Service Notes: Replace Cylinder 4 Injectors and calibrate, ISID will not accept Calibration Code. Use neutral Code. Bleed Fuel System, Rd tested 5 miles. (I remember talking to the SA and him telling me the code kept coming back even after replacing the injector and they were working with Germany – thus the 7 days)

Parts:
1 13-53-7-808-094 RMFD Injector
3 08180 Brake Cleaner (awful lot of cleaner)
O-Rings and Gasket Ring

9/14/2012 (had car 2 days)
50,745 miles
Summary: SES Code Triggered, Test and Replace Metering Valve

Service Notes: Just says replaced metering valve under goodwill

Parts:
1 18-30-7-807-206 Metering Unit

12/13/2012 (had car 21 days)
54,395 miles
Summary: SES Code Triggered, Found smooth running faults & 0 Adapt fault - Diagnostic code to replace #4 injector (they did not list a code, but my OBDII showed the same P02D3 as when the issue started)

Service Notes: Checked calibration and match numbers on injectors; submit PUMA case. R&R (remove and replace) intake and check for carbon. Found carbon thru intake, valve covers and on valves. Per PUMA, replace Intake Manifold, Perform carbon cleaning, clear faults and road test. Sublet for Walnut Shells. Customer Goodwill.

Parts:
1 11-61-8-519-140 Intake Manifold WIT
Seals, O-rings and more brake cleaner.
Sublet for Walnut Shell Cleaning.

54,500 Miles
Car Runs better, but is back in the shop because of a burnt diesel exhaust smell filling the car at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed View Post
CT

Had Injector 1 replaced at 71k per BMW goodwill. 84k now and no major issues. SA told me that there was significant carbon deposition and they "cleaned" the manifold, so we will see where this goes...

I'm racking up about 8k miles per month right now, so things should happen fast!!

Quote:
Yes it has stored that code for sure. I have the BT scan tool. They replaced my air intake manifold citing carbon buildup. Some people felt it could have been cleaned but I didn't care as the car is under warranty. I didn't have to pay a cent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwagon View Post
I just got a Engine warning symbol in the center of my gauges. This is the display that houses how much fuel is left on a tank etc. The symbol I got after extremely hard acceleration is the engine with part of it colored in in Yellow. Indicating " Full engine power no longer available" It is on the page in the lower right of this link http://www.e90post.com/goodiesforyou/indicators.jpg
Any ideas why this light came on??
Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
I've about had it with my car and want to get rid of it. However, I am having trouble letting it go. It's probably because in my mind I know I paid over 50K for the car and feel if I sell it for the 28K its worth right now I'd be annoyed for a few years. I just came back home from a two hour visit to a local Audi dealership to test drive some cars. I was very close to signing the paperwork on a new S4 but ended up walking away. I realized I'm just concerned and should not do anything. I like to keep my cars for 150-200K miles before moving onto another. Will my 335D make it? Probably not.

The 335d's problem: My 2010 335d with 43K is in the shop having its head replaced for the third time. The only reason I took it in was for the check engine light coming back on over and over. Yes, I've had all the recalls done except this new one I keep reading about regarding the torque? The service advisor said there are no open recalls on my VIN. I drive this car 35 miles a day with a good mix of highway and city. I fill up at Shell which offers a higher cetane (I can't remember if it's 45 or 48). I drive hard on occasions and normal during traffic.

After having the EGR update done to my car I assumed this problem would be resolved.

Sorry for the venting but I'm annoyed with BMW and this car. I'm also thinking about selling the X5D i purchased for my parents just because it has the same engine. The days of diesels running past gas engines is long gone with all these new emissions and low cetane. I'm starting to think my 2010 328I will outlast my 335d.

My question to everyone on this forum: After having your EGR update done have you had your head replaced due to carbon buildup? How many of you are worried about this issue after the warranty period? I have an extended warranty but what about after that? I'm angry about purchasing a car that is somewhat has a short life.

Oh, and after talking to my tech he suggested I change my oil more often. How the heck would that help with carbon buildup?

On a side note. I wish bentley would make a service manual for our engine! When you look up information on the 335I or any older e46's you have people posting "How to's" left and right. On our cars its mostly "crap, its getting a new head"
Quote:
I feel a lot of the issues with this car stem from the restrictive emissions that BMW has implemented in order to make it a "clean diesel". My 2009 335d has only 24,000 kms on it but two months ago they replaced my air intake manifold due to carbon build-up. Thankfully I had bought extended warranty a few weeks before that because it would have cost me almost $2000 after parts/labour. I only owe $3,000 on the car so right now I have no real issues and love it but I do know where your rage stems from. Trust me. I know.

If issues persist, I know of a local guy that can do a DPF delete. I'll do the whole removal of EGR and right down to the urea if I have to.

Quote:
Could be anything really. Do you have a tool that can scan your codes? I got this and when I ran my scan I got "swirl flap actuator" fault.

Like I said though, could be anything and nothing too serious like getting into limp mode due to the hard acceleration.

Quote:
One last thing, just checked my invoice and one of the reasons stated due to changing the air intake manifold was "carbon build-up."

My car only has 22,000 kms (14,000 miles) on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
fjcjr
Max the missile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

This issue needs to become a class action.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcjr View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcjr View Post
+1
I have always assumed it was just low sales volume that caused BMW to stop 335d sales in the USA, but I can't help but wonder if they knew about looming problems with the engine. And it begs a couple of questions:
1. Is the X5d engine experiencing similar problems, and if not, what is the difference in the engine configuration?
2. What has BMW done with the new engines in the 320d and other models that are being introduced in the near future?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #17
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I have always assumed it was just low sales volume that caused BMW to stop 335d sales in the USA, but I can't help but wonder if they knew about looming problems with the engine. And it begs a couple of questions:
1. Is the X5d engine experiencing similar problems, and if not, what is the difference in the engine configuration?
2. What has BMW done with the new engines in the 320d and other models that are being introduced in the near future?
The only difference with the X5d as far as I know is engine load.
The prevailing theory is this: Since the SUV is heavier, the engine is more heavily loaded all the time, and diesels need to be under load to prevent carbon build up. There have been a number of suggestions to drive the 335d hard (wheee!) to prevent buildup.

But, there's also the EGR recall, which might prevent the issue from happening as well, but I don't think there are enough data points to make that conclusion, especially since the EGR recall work would have to be done before carbon buildup is an issue.

So far it seems the 2009 and 2010 models are most likely to have it, possibly because the 2011 didn't have enough miles before having the EGR work done.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

I finally got around to speaking with a BMWNA rep (Erin) yesterday with whom I have been trading e-mails with regarding this issue and to whom I provided various forum links to the carbon build-up threads and I am disappointed to report that she/BMWNA could NOT answer even one question or provide any sort of response to the matter. In fact her response was, she is not aware of any problems and that I should express my concerns to my servicing dealer; to which I responded I already have they do not know anything.

The rep did say she was going to forward my e-mails and the forum links to the technical desk, but could not promise that I would recieve any kind of response - VERY SAD to say the least!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I finally got around to speaking with a BMWNA rep (Erin) yesterday with whom I have been trading e-mails with regarding this issue and to whom I provided various forum links to the carbon build-up threads and I am disappointed to report that she/BMWNA could NOT answer even one question or provide any sort of response to the matter. In fact her response was, she is not aware of any problems and that I should express my concerns to my servicing dealer; to which I responded I already have they do not know anything.

The rep did say she was going to forward my e-mails and the forum links to the technical desk, but could not promise that I would recieve any kind of response - VERY SAD to say the least!
I think it's just your standard CYA. They are never going to say, "yes sir, we are aware if the issue". The best you might get is that "There have been only a handful of reports of carbon issues in the United States, none of which were conclusively found to be directly related to any design flaw or system failure. We believe that these limited circumstances have been due to 'x, y, or z', but can assure you that the overwhelming majority of 335 diesels sold in the United States are not experiencing such issues. We recommend strongly adhering to BMW maintenance guidelines and selecting only higher grade diesel manufacturers/distributors in order to prevent any operational issues from arising. Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention."

Keep n mind, we are talking about roughly 10 cars. this is large relative to the number of diesels on the forum but insignificant relative to the number of diesels sold 2009-2011. In contrast, It took Mazda about three years and hundreds of public cases to extend their rx8 engine warranty to 100k miles, and this was a blatant design flaw in the apex seals which could not be attributed to any outside forces (gas quality, etc.).

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms

These kinds of responses, where you ALREADY have been unable to get satisfaction from the dealer, are BMWNAs worst feux pas
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

M57 Technical Specs

Here is the document that entails all the differences between the Euro and US version and E70/E90 differences.

Overall summary - US versions have a stricter emissions system. E70 comes with a low and high pressure EGR system. Where the E90 has only high pressure EGR system. So it is stricter emissions for the E70.

I can't imagine E70 with high miles with the old EGR system not having carbon build up issues, as BMW also released the update for them. The cases are probably just not documented on the internet.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ST810 - Advanced Diesel Technology Workbook.pdf (2.44 MB, 311 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Does 60 minutes or ANYONE out that can bring this fiasco to lite on BMW
Appreciate 0