E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question for Shiv, etc. Low pressure fuel pump controller (EKP)

03-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Question for Shiv, etc. Low pressure fuel pump controller (EKP)

Shiv, I was reading this excellent thread you posted a few years back where it talks about the Low pressure fuel pump controller (EKP). I run a competitors tune but recently I started having an engine malfunction screen at WOT in the top RPMs of 3rd gear. I was getting a 2AAF, Fuel pump plausibility and 2F30, no description found. The codes resulted in no power loss and the engine malfunction screen disappears 5 seconds or so after letting out throttle. There is no SES but the codes are there when I read them.

I was able to eliminate the 2AAF through my flash but still get the 2F30 which still causes the engine malfunction screen. From a little bit searching I found this about the 2F30:

2F30:

Error will cause a warning light
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have not been completed

Electronic fuel pump (EKP)

Thats what lead me to your old thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512759

Is this module something that is replaceable? It looks like it is located under the top part of the passenger rear seat? Might it be the culprit of my problems?

My car has a new HPFP that was installed by dealer about 200 miles ago. I didn't take my Walbro out for the service but it says they tested the low pressure fuel system with no problems found. Not sure if they do something with this module. I also had DME update from IJE0S to ILA0S during that service. I never had this problem before the service with same tune. I have the Walbro inline pump and when I did the Walbro I put a new bucket in with new LPFP. That was about 5k miles ago. I run around E50-60. My logs during these instances show strong low and high pressures. No drops.

I also watched your video on Finding new diagnostic codes in ROM (great tutorial by the way!), so it seems straight forward enough to add that table to my xdf and disable. My concern is that I don't want to disable and mask something that I need to address. If it is a harmless code then I will do but at this point I do not know the answer.

Thanks for any insight or advice you or any others might be able to provide!

Last edited by musc; 03-09-2014 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
musc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
I was able to get the code turned off though hex editing the .xdf file. I guess the real question remains is what this code really means and should I be trying to find a root cause and fix it rather than mask it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
musc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
No one??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Why would you be asking Shiv to help you fix your problem for free when you're not even a customer of his?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc
I was able to get the code turned off though hex editing the .xdf file. I guess the real question remains is what this code really means and should I be trying to find a root cause and fix it rather than mask it.

Thanks!
I seem to remember Shiv saying that the code only stems from the excess amount of current being drawn to the pumps. I don't think there are any negative sides to having that code pop up, but I could be wrong.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
musc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
Why would you be asking Shiv to help you fix your problem for free when you're not even a customer of his?
I am not asking him to fix my problem. I am asking him about the code since he is very knowledgeable about the fuel system and where it may be stemming from.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
musc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
I seem to remember Shiv saying that the code only stems from the excess amount of current being drawn to the pumps. I don't think there are any negative sides to having that code pop up, but I could be wrong.
Thanks Dmacc!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
Why not, Competitors have stepped up answering question/problems related to Vishnu related hardware/flashes before. Nothing wrong with trying to ask Shiv for assistance on a post/problem he read from before. He would be better off asking for assistance from somebody else or on the competitors forum but you never know Shiv might be feeling generous enough to post.
      03-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Why not, Competitors have stepped up answering question/problems related to Vishnu related hardware/flashes before. Nothing wrong with trying to ask Shiv for assistance on a post/problem he read from before. He would be better off asking for assistance from somebody else or on the competitors forum but you never know Shiv might be feeling generous enough to post.
Given Shiv's expanding product line, he's incredibly busy. So, I wouldn't even begin to think that he would take the time to go through and answer this guy's post when he's not a procede/oft customer. Shiv has enough customer questions to keep him busy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
musc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
Thanks! I am open to any input from anyone, not just Shiv, on the code as searching this forum and many others didn't yield much. I'd like to think that we are all on the same team trying to get the most out of our cars. I have friends that use Cobb and the OFT and we all help each other with tuning and troubleshooting irrespective of the choice of tuner. I have been a member of this forum for a long time and sadly the camaraderie isn't what it use to be. It's good to see that some others still think that way too

In Shiv's defense he has always been helpful to the community. I am sure if he had time to reply he would have!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
Alex!
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 135 N54

Hi Musc. Did you fix the code? I have same problem with a 1M...
Appreciate 0