E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Do I have this right? 500x1 channel @ 4ohm....

11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #45
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
The Gladens or the SWS-8xi?

Starbai
I have not listened to Gladens personally but looking at their specs sheet (100W woofer), I would opt for SWS-8is (150w). At least on papers SWS-8i win and it is excellent point when selling them on.
And considering what you are looking for, SWS-8is will perfectly tick your demand boxes.
But then having SWS-8, I am biased.

To all those who think or try to defame SWS-8s, here is anoter quick review by gizze (well know person in UK).

I think the Earthquakes are great. I will be honest and the 'hi-fi snob' in me wrote them off as cheap tat at first, but then heard them and was very impressed, then bought a pair for my 335i and everyone who heard them was seriously impressed.

You really need those SWS8's to go no higher than 80hz if possible, after that they start to show their weakness', but 100hz is still OK.
120hz and they muddy the sound, if your mids only do 120hz then something other than Earthquakes I reckon, but get a mid that does 80hz properly and those Earthquakes are very, very good.

I managed to get mine down to 30hz once they were sealed properly, and having them up front and thus being able to turn off excessive time alignment gave a really, really nice overall sound.

They can still sound a little bloated in the upper mid bass, but I prefer a warmer sound anyway, so didn't bother me one bit.

And as somebody said above that having gladen make people think that you have a sub in your car.
After having SWS-8s in my car, many people asked me where are my subs?

And one more thing, when comparing Gladen vs SWS-8, all other factors should be constant and then you can compare them. I have asked above about xover settings and amp. My point is that I do not think that SWS-8s were xovered / amped properly and hence getting Gladen > SWS-8s comments.

Whatever the case is, I would listen Gladen at some point. I may buy them purely to experiment and sell them on ebay.