E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Suspension clunk

05-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Suspension clunk

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a clunk noise when driving slowly (less than 15 mph, though it might be that road noise masks it at higher speeds) over uneven road surfaces. I'm pretty sure it's when the suspension is in rebound, so when falling in to a hole rather than when going over a bump and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the front driver's side. In fact, I'm sure I can feel the clunk slightly through the footwell when it happens 😕

8 months ago I had suspension work done that involved replacing all bushes/mountings so I can't see it being related to those. I also had a Bilstein B12 Pro kit, M3 front lower control arms and new ARB drop links installed at the same time.

I have read of some people experiencing problems with the Bilsteins developing clunky noises. Has anyone else heard of this?

I haven't had the wheels off to have a good look yet but just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

I'd have a good wiggle of your drop links. There will be a bit of play but if it's easy to move them they're shot - they don't take long to make noises especially as the car is a bit lower now. Have a good look at the top mounts, but not heard of these clunking until they're obviously for the bin.

If you can get the car on a ramp, then you can feel if there is play in the damper shaft. They are known to develop rattles but it's still unusual. I've had variations of the B6/B8 on many old and newer cars and only had an issue on a pair on a 1970 911 which had a low level rattle at slow speeds. You can get them serviced using info below:

email reply:

We can service these for you at the below address, if you can send them to us with a covering stating you return details that would be perfect.

The standard cost is £80.00 each + vat which includes all internal parts and labour. If any additional costs are likely to be incurred I will let you know before we proceed.

Let me know if you require any further information.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
David Masters
Workshop Manager

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein GmbH
7 Vitruvius Way | Meridian Business Park | Leicestershire | LE19 1WA | England
Phone:+44 (0) 116 2898345 | Fax:+44 (0) 116 2899021
E-mail: david.masters@kruppbilstein.co.uk |Internet: www.bilstein.de
NEW Bilstein Armoured Website: www.bilsteinarmouredsuspension.co.uk

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr.-Ing. Karsten Kroos
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Peter Klaus Kirner (Vorsitzender), Dr. Olaf Gelhausen, Timo Krutoff
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ennepetal, Registergericht: Hagen HR B 5608
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
You could just drop it into your local STS, kwikfit, tyre pro etc for a free suspension check.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Stab bar link
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
You could just drop it into your local STS, kwikfit, tyre pro etc for a free suspension check.
😀

If it turns out to be the ARB links are there any brands in particular I should be replacing with? I put Lemforder ones on previously.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Lemforder should be fine, but if you've recentlyish replaced them they should still be good. It may be that a bolt or something has just worked loose.
I don't believe STS, kwikfit etc fit customer supplied parts though.
I had a clonking noise on my 35 last summer. It was a Saturday morning of a bank holiday, of all days So I took it to my local STS, as they do a free suspension check. Turned out a nut was loose on the lower control arm. Their guy sorted it out & they didn't charge I did slip the tech a tenner though
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Lemforder should be fine, but if you've recentlyish replaced them they should still be good. It may be that a bolt or something has just worked loose.
I don't believe STS, kwikfit etc fit customer supplied parts though.
I had a clonking noise on my 35 last summer. It was a Saturday morning of a bank holiday, of all days So I took it to my local STS, as they do a free suspension check. Turned out a nut was loose on the lower control arm. Their guy sorted it out & they didn't charge I did slip the tech a tenner though
Yeah that's what's puzzling; basically the whole suspension (in terms of bushes/mounts/springs/dampers/ARB links) was replaced about 8 months ago. May be a loose bolt I suppose. I need to get to somewhere like STS to have a look.

Cheers for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Good luck! I had similar and ended up changing loads. Despite the drop links being a recent change, it turned out, they were the culprit!

Expensive 9 months
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #9
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubba View Post
Good luck! I had similar and ended up changing loads. Despite the drop links being a recent change, it turned out, they were the culprit!

Expensive 9 months
Yeah I'm thinking the drop links are the likely culprit, despite them being not very old. Hopefully call in to STS tomorrow and get them to check it over.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:22 AM   #10
qa15ar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Got the same symptoms, changed shocks, top mounts, drop links, suspension arms, arb bushes..... but still there its driving me nuts, gave up in the end......
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Just to update the thread; I dropped in to STS the other week for a free suspension check. They were really good considering I got there about 20 mins before they were due to close. The outcome, after quite a bit of investigation, was inconclusive really but a strong suspicion that the ARB drop links were the culprit. A point noted by one of the technicians was that they seemed to be installed at quite an angle (rotated along their length). Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and ordered some new TRW items and fitted them today. On removing the old links it was clear to see what the problem was; they'd been installed on the wrong side (fronts are handed) which is why they looked to be over-rotated. The ball joints were shot. I installed the new items and the knocking has disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #12
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Back with another front suspension clunk I'm afraid. This one started a couple of months ago on the nearside-front. I had suspected front drop links again because it sounded similar to the previous occasion. Had a new set fitted yesterday which seems to have fixed what I thought was the issue but it seems there were in fact 2 issues. When I go over speed bumps there remains a clunk on the nearside-front as the suspension compresses. The garage who fitted my new drop links said that it's coming from the front damper. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar before I dive in to replacing them. They're Bilstein B8 (from B12 kit) and only been fitted about 3.5 yrs.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_ball View Post
Back with another front suspension clunk I'm afraid. This one started a couple of months ago on the nearside-front. I had suspected front drop links again because it sounded similar to the previous occasion. Had a new set fitted yesterday which seems to have fixed what I thought was the issue but it seems there were in fact 2 issues. When I go over speed bumps there remains a clunk on the nearside-front as the suspension compresses. The garage who fitted my new drop links said that it's coming from the front damper. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar before I dive in to replacing them. They're Bilstein B8 (from B12 kit) and only been fitted about 3.5 yrs.
How many miles have you driven in those 3.5 years; 150,000?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

as a note on drop links, i brought some lemforder ones, lasted about a year, fitted another set of lemforders.... and these have lasted about 9 months and there clunking again so been and brought some more, and will return my old ones for a refund.

not sure if the make has just gone down hill or what.
but you can't always feel the play in the links till you remove them
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:37 PM   #15
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

I'm literally going through the same clunking issue. It was such an annoying sound and feeling.

Anyway, after some reason, I've found that the Meyle HD front drop links are supposed to be very beefy and much sturdier than normal ones. I've just ordered mine now and should be here by Wednesday. I'll let you know how they hold up.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
as a note on drop links, i brought some lemforder ones, lasted about a year, fitted another set of lemforders.... and these have lasted about 9 months and there clunking again so been and brought some more, and will return my old ones for a refund.

not sure if the make has just gone down hill or what.
but you can't always feel the play in the links till you remove them
The last ones I fitted were Lemförder (as are the new ones) which only lasted about a year. I put it down to the fact that they supposedly wear pretty quickly on E90s anyway plus my suspension wouldn't be doing them any favours in terms of increased loading because of stiffer springs, poly bushes etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam_335i View Post
I'm literally going through the same clunking issue. It was such an annoying sound and feeling.

Anyway, after some reason, I've found that the Meyle HD front drop links are supposed to be very beefy and much sturdier than normal ones. I've just ordered mine now and should be here by Wednesday. I'll let you know how they hold up.
How did you get on with the Meyle ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
Arch Stanton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i touring

how is the handling? I had a. similar noise last year, it turned out that the steering rack needed replacing, luckily the extended warranty sorted it, all good now and sloppy handling is cured
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #19
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Quote:
How did you get on with the Meyle ones?
Not great because I am on coilovers - the mounting position of the ARB links were different to stock, so unfortunately the Melye's were not good for me, so I went ahead and purchased a very sturdy set of adjustable ones from eBay, changed it over and jobs a goodun. No more clunk and the the handling is great (can't believe I lived with super sloppy handling for so long).

I'm selling the Meyle's (brand new, but threw away the box by accident). I'm looking for £20 for them, let me know if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:02 AM   #20
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Quote:
The last ones I fitted were Lemförder (as are the new ones) which only lasted about a year. I put it down to the fact that they supposedly wear pretty quickly on E90s anyway plus my suspension wouldn't be doing them any favours in terms of increased loading because of stiffer springs, poly bushes etc.
hmmm so about the same as me, i'm going to put a claim in as mine are under a year.
thing that gets me is the OE fitted ones from the factory seems to last alot longer don't they? just wondering what gives as lemforder are meant to be just that....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #21
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
hmmm so about the same as me, i'm going to put a claim in as mine are under a year.
thing that gets me is the OE fitted ones from the factory seems to last alot longer don't they? just wondering what gives as lemforder are meant to be just that....
Yeah, I was under the impression that Lemförder are OE but certainly the aftermarket ones I've fitted haven't lasted as long as the originally fitted items (assuming the ones that were on there when I got the car were original).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
how is the handling? I had a. similar noise last year, it turned out that the steering rack needed replacing, luckily the extended warranty sorted it, all good now and sloppy handling is cured
I haven't noticed anything abnormal with the handling but steering rack is another thing to have a look at then, just in case.

Last edited by gaz_ball; 04-10-2020 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0