E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu Procede V1,V2, or V3 - removing before maintenance?

08-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
TommyLi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Vishnu Procede V1,V2, or V3 - removing before maintenance?

Hey I have a general question for anyone that has had the procede and have gone in for maintenance. Did you guys remove the procede before the maintenance check? Did they notice that you've played around with the ECU?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Take it out.

/thread
      08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
TommyLi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Take it out.

/thread
thanks for a useless answer, not answering the question whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
WaLLy350GT
Psshh!
United_States
Rep

if there's nothing needed for warranty work, then they shouldn't be snooping around near the ECU...

Either way, you still want to remove any kind of chip/piggyback when going to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Tommy,

I think e90 was trying to give you the best advice from this forum, albeit short. Virtually everyone would recommended removing an ECU tune prior to visiting the dealer. Any other non-cosmetic modification would get the same advice.

Most threads here suggest those running a tune do, in fact, remove the tunes prior to visiting the dealer.

While I don't advocate concealing a tune to get warranty work related to a tune, it is also important to not give the vendor an easy-out on other engine / drivetrain issues that may arise.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyLi View Post
Hey I have a general question for anyone that has had the procede and have gone in for maintenance. Did you guys remove the procede before the maintenance check? Did they notice that you've played around with the ECU?

Thanks
i always took out my jb2, always took it out before any service

they dont check unless they have reason to
      08-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:

Thanks
Has been discussed many times before.

If you have a tune then you void that part of your warranty if BMW thinks an issue is due to the tune. Many people with a tune remove it to save on the above issue, wether that is ethical or not is up to yourself to decide.

Later versions of progman and the ECU itself apparently have 'tuner protection' in them that highlights a tune has been used if certain parameters are exceeded. While the major tuners (V3 and JB3) claim to have worked around this there could be some code that isn't shown at dealership level, you just don't know.

So in essence you need to be prepared to 'pay to play' with your tune but removal before service is a good idea if you can live with that ethically.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
TommyLi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
TommyLi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanny View Post
Tommy,

I think e90 was trying to give you the best advice from this forum, albeit short. Virtually everyone would recommended removing an ECU tune prior to visiting the dealer. Any other non-cosmetic modification would get the same advice.

Most threads here suggest those running a tune do, in fact, remove the tunes prior to visiting the dealer.

While I don't advocate concealing a tune to get warranty work related to a tune, it is also important to not give the vendor an easy-out on other engine / drivetrain issues that may arise.

I hope that helps.
His answer just seemed more like, get rid of the procede completely, it's how I took it anyways. If it wasn't, then I apologize.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
His answer just seemed more like, get rid of the procede completely, it's how I took it anyways. If it wasn't, then I apologize.
Sorry if it came across that way. The PROcede is a great tune, you should just take it out anytime that you go into the dealership. Period.