E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ASR Turbo Upgrade

04-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #45
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Would a lot of custom tuning / datalogging be involved to set up a procede to work with the RB turbos? Will it eventually be compatible with the upcoming "auto-tuning" feature?
No and Yes.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #46
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
You're slightly confused. The ASRs are ~$5000, provide ~80-120hp from the dyno I've seen.
That price for the ASR upgrade been absurd from day 1, but now they will have CHRA upgrade competition from Rob Beck. I hope even if they lower their price that we as consumers make them pay for trying to rip us off. I am already making as much power as them on my stock turbos and nitrous. When I upgrade my turbos, I will ravage their numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #47
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
That price for the ASR upgrade been absurd from day 1, but now they will have CHRA upgrade competition from Rob Beck. I hope even if they lower their price that we as consumers make them pay for trying to rip us off. I am already making as much power as them on my stock turbos and nitrous. When I upgrade my turbos, I will ravage their numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #48
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
I am sorry, but I was always frusterated by the cloud around ASR. Rob Beck is offering a similar upgrade for $2k less and fixing the wastegate problems!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #49
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Sorry if newb question, but who is Rob Beck?

I've seen some threads but does anyone have links to a business website or references for work on other platforms?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #50
Funkmob
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 space grey

Quote:

Wich is nothing more then normal cause you'r adding nitrous.

They were still the first to offer the turbo upgrade so they set their price , its normal competition will step up and offer lower prices.
If i look at the first FMIC prices offered on this board , they were ridiculous too in comparison to what they cost now.

They were the first to show a finished product , we can all talk about RB turbo's but we haven't seen them running yet. I'm sure Rob will offer a great product at a good price , but for now its all speculation.

I'm sure soon enough there will be plenty of choice on turbo upgrade's and we can forget and move on from this nitrous hype
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #51
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmob View Post
[/B]

Wich is nothing more then normal cause you'r adding nitrous.

They were still the first to offer the turbo upgrade so they set their price , its normal competition will step up and offer lower prices.
If i look at the first FMIC prices offered on this board , they were ridiculous too in comparison to what they cost now.

They were the first to show a finished product , we can all talk about RB turbo's but we haven't seen them running yet. I'm sure Rob will offer a great product at a good price , but for now its all speculation.

I'm sure soon enough there will be plenty of choice on turbo upgrade's and we can forget and move on from this nitrous hype
Nitrous is here to stay. The N54 DME makes nitrous a very easy choice since it reacts so well to changing A/F ratios. Done progressive and used with methanol, it is a very viable option. I will not stop running nitrous on this car whether I upgrade the turbos or not. I added 92 rwhp on to my car with a 35 shot on rock solid A/Fs with only 15 psi and pump gas. Nitrous will work just as well on upgraded turbos as it does on stock turbos. We are going to need to start to really address our fueling limits though.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #52
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Nitrous is here to stay. The N54 DME makes nitrous a very easy choice since it reacts so well to changing A/F ratios. Done progressive and used with methanol, it is a very viable option. I will not stop running nitrous on this car whether I upgrade the turbos or not. I added 92 rwhp on to my car with a 35 shot on rock solid A/Fs with only 15 psi and pump gas. Nitrous will work just as well on upgraded turbos as it does on stock turbos. We are going to need to start to really address our fueling limits though.
Without wanting to quench your enthusiasm, but I believe nitrous will only appeal to a limited number of people as it can mainly be used for drag racing. It's useless as a daily driver addition or in track racing conditions, which is probably what most people are interested in. For this, both a turbo upgrade and meth kit (or a combination of those) will probably appeal to a much wider public.

FWIW, I do not believe that $5000 is too much IF it's a stage 2 upgrade, i.e. with a different core and modified oil/water lines; lot of research needs to go into this in order to make it work properly. The stage 1 upgrades (i.e. what JPSimon and the Turbo Dynamics stage 1 feature) will probably be more or less half that price.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      04-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #53
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Without wanting to quench your enthusiasm, but I believe nitrous will only appeal to a limited number of people as it can mainly be used for drag racing. It's useless as a daily driver addition or in track racing conditions, which is probably what most people are interested in. For this, both a turbo upgrade and meth kit (or a combination of those) will probably appeal to a much wider public.

FWIW, I do not believe that $5000 is too much IF it's a stage 2 upgrade, i.e. with a different core and modified oil/water lines; lot of research needs to go into this in order to make it work properly. The stage 1 upgrades (i.e. what JPSimon and the Turbo Dynamics stage 1 feature) will probably be more or less half that price.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Alpina, whether you go with nitrous or not doesn't mean it isn't a viable option. The days of naws killing your engine are over. The days of torque spikes hurting your tranny are over because we have progressive shots and window switches. Hotrod didn't use any safety systems like this so it is no surprise what happened with him. There was a day when people said putting turbos on a car will blow up your motor too. With a remote bottle opener like I have, it is completely usable on a daily driver.

I would sincerely suggest you look at RB's upgraded turbos and the price. You will see it is exactly what you are talking about for 2k less. These guys are ripping us off for CHRA swaps at 5k. If you want to pay that 5k, then that is your choice. Really it only matters that you are happy with your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #54
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Alpina, whether you go with nitrous or not doesn't mean it isn't a viable option. The days of naws killing your engine are over. The days of torque spikes hurting your tranny are over because we have progressive shots and window switches. Hotrod didn't use any safety systems like this so it is no surprise what happened with him. There was a day when people said putting turbos on a car will blow up your motor too. With a remote bottle opener like I have, it is completely usable on a daily driver.
I didn't say it's not a viable option or that it is a problem for the engine. I do believe that isn't the case. My point was mainly that in normal driving conditions or on a circuit, nitrous is of very limited use, which is why only a very limited number of people will be interested in this option. Seriously, with upgraded turbos alone you will already make more than enough power, but that is of course everyone's own decision.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      04-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #55
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say it's not a viable option or that it is a problem for the engine. I do believe that isn't the case. My point was mainly that in normal driving conditions or on a circuit, nitrous is of very limited use, which is why only a very limited number of people will be interested in this option. Seriously, with upgraded turbos alone you will already make more than enough power, but that is of course everyone's own decision.

Alpina_B3_Lux
The funny thing is we are already making too much power to put to the ground. We blow the tires off in first gear already. My car was getting completely sideways at a 50 mph before I put the Quaife in.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #56
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Would a lot of custom tuning / datalogging be involved to set up a procede to work with the RB turbos? Will it eventually be compatible with the upcoming "auto-tuning" feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
No and Yes.

shiv
so we are not going to even have to worry about separate maps for upgraded turbos either? would it be part of the initial Autotune release or an update at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #57
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

Alpina_B3_Lux
I'm with Alpina on this one. I don't want to go too much OT, but NOS is completely illegal in a street car. Upgraded turbos will make more power available all the time and will definitely appeal to more people
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #58
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm with Alpina on this one. I don't want to go too much OT, but NOS is completely illegal in a street car. Upgraded turbos will make more power available all the time and will definitely appeal to more people
The turbo upgrades are more appealing. I am simply saying one has nothing to do with the other.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #59
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Taking cats off is also illegal, aaaanddd I see what both of you are saying and don't see why the argument at all..it's obvious that both nitrous and better turbos provide more power for the car and both have their audiences..turbos are always on kind of upgrade, NOS is on demand...end of story...it's a personal preference, it's like arguing around 20" forged rims and 17" kosei..depends on where you're taking your car..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #60
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Yes, I didn't want to start an argument here
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #61
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

it would be interesting to see how much power can be milked out of upgraded turbos and nitrous.. would it require a bigger shot because of the increased air volume?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #62
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
it would be interesting to see how much power can be milked out of upgraded turbos and nitrous.. would it require a bigger shot because of the increased air volume?
The shot is breaking down into 02 in the combustion chamber and really it shot should have nothing to do with the turbo upgrade. If anything it could make more power with a turbo upgrade. With that said, the fuel system is going to max somewhere in the 5xx range, so that will have to be addressed. I will do a turbo upgrade with nitrous, so I hope I can answer some questions here.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #63
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:

+10
even with their high price they could have gotten market share because they were early with the first upgrade like 7 months ago.

But IMHO, someone over there really screwed up the marketing / sales cause with that large amount of anearly lead they did not sell the hell out of a one of a kind upgrade.

Last edited by midlife; 04-08-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #64
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
The shot is breaking down into 02 in the combustion chamber and really it shot should have nothing to do with the turbo upgrade. If anything it could make more power with a turbo upgrade. With that said, the fuel system is going to max somewhere in the 5xx range, so that will have to be addressed. I will do a turbo upgrade with nitrous, so I hope I can answer some questions here.

Fwiw, I asked rob about his upgrade and nitrious and he said they will work fine together.
I knew that sooner or later someone would do BOTH and I am really glad you will probably be among the first.
If I may make a suggestion Former : pm rob right now cause his first batch of 10 sets is either comitted for or pretty damn close.

Rob says waiting for the second batch could be a delay of 2 months or more.
Lastly although nitrious is viable with the RB turbos rob says you can still get substantial gains just on pump gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #65
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Sorry if newb question, but who is Rob Beck?

I've seen some threads but does anyone have links to a business website or references for work on other platforms?
n54tech.com has a detailed thread going on about the upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #66
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
Fwiw, I asked rob about his upgrade and nitrious and he said they will work fine together.
I knew that sooner or later someone would do BOTH and I am really glad you will probably be among the first.
If I may make a suggestion Former : pm rob right now cause his first batch of 10 sets is either comitted for or pretty damn close.

Rob says waiting for the second batch could be a delay of 2 months or more.
Lastly although nitrious is viable with the RB turbos rob says you can still get substantial gains just on pump gas.
Nitrous and turbo upgrades are used together all the time. They truly are independent mods. My only concern is where the fuel system limit will come in. I wish we had an intake manifold that allowed direct methanol injection on the runners so we could meet some of our fueling needs.
Appreciate 0