E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Crossover frequency of subwoofers?

01-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

Crossover frequency of subwoofers?

Hi,

What is the crossover frequency of the sub to midrange on the HiFi system? Are the power amps providing that function? My question is aimed at finding out what Fs I should be looking for in a midrange driver.

Thanks,
Adnan
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healey3000 View Post
Hi,

What is the crossover frequency of the sub to midrange on the HiFi system? Are the power amps providing that function? My question is aimed at finding out what Fs I should be looking for in a midrange driver.

Thanks,
Adnan
No real way to know for sure without knowing the specs on the system. But, you could get a good estimate from using a tone signal sweep on a CD and turn down everything except bass or midrange or whatever. Mine has someone saying the frequency on it every few Hz (20, 30, ...100, 150,...etc) as well as dedicated signals at many frequencies. I have the "Audio-CD for testing of hearing in 20Hz-20,000Hz frequency range". You can probably buy it on amazon.

Also, realize that crossover freq. can be controlled by the stereo and also the speaker may have a crossover. The combination determines what you hear. If you remove your sub you may be able to find the crossover and it may say on it. Thats a PITA though. I'm no expert but I think most stereos will output all frequencies and let the speakers range or crossover determine what is heard. So, unlikely to have a crossover in the stereo except really highend ones (IMHO)

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Do the tone test it'll give resonable results.

The subs will prob be set high, say 100-160 Hz at least.

I bet its 12dB/Oct so at some point you'll here it in the door and in the sub too so it'll be difficult.
Appreciate 0