E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Confused on BMW leather and products to use

10-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
twofast2s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Confused on BMW leather and products to use

Hey guys, I'm beginning to get into more detail scene and leather care has been my topic to search these days.

However, reading and searching here and other detailing forums, I got overwhelmed with varieties of information and discrepancies mixed few in between.

First, is our premium package seats (so real leather, not the synthetic?) coated? because I read that almost all leather seats in the auto market nowdays all coated to aid in durability and longevity. However, I also read Napa or some other leather aren't coated. I did the test where you drop couple of water on top of the leather and if it beads, it is coated. However, when I did this, water drop beaded but then also got absorbed and I had faint but still noticeable water mark.

If the leather is coated, shouldn't I have to treat the seat like vinyl, and only maintenance is clean and dress (like with 303 aero*******? instead of clean and condition (lexol, zaino, leatherique, etc)?

I've been using lexol cleaner and conditioner, using brush to foam the cleaner and wipe with damp towel. Followed by the lexol conditioner.

However, I feel like the conditioner is not really being absorbed, but just dried.

I actually felt like 303 aerospace after cleaning gave good finish, although lexol had extra "tackyness" to similar results.

OR

are the conditioners sold specific for automotive leather care designed specifically with coated leather in mind, where I can just dress on the "conditioner?"

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 G37S Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofast2s View Post
Hey guys, I'm beginning to get into more detail scene and leather care has been my topic to search these days.

However, reading and searching here and other detailing forums, I got overwhelmed with varieties of information and discrepancies mixed few in between.

First, is our premium package seats (so real leather, not the synthetic?) coated? because I read that almost all leather seats in the auto market nowdays all coated to aid in durability and longevity. However, I also read Napa or some other leather aren't coated. I did the test where you drop couple of water on top of the leather and if it beads, it is coated. However, when I did this, water drop beaded but then also got absorbed and I had faint but still noticeable water mark.

If the leather is coated, shouldn't I have to treat the seat like vinyl, and only maintenance is clean and dress (like with 303 aero*******? instead of clean and condition (lexol, zaino, leatherique, etc)?

I've been using lexol cleaner and conditioner, using brush to foam the cleaner and wipe with damp towel. Followed by the lexol conditioner.

However, I feel like the conditioner is not really being absorbed, but just dried.

I actually felt like 303 aerospace after cleaning gave good finish, although lexol had extra "tackyness" to similar results.

OR

are the conditioners sold specific for automotive leather care designed specifically with coated leather in mind, where I can just dress on the "conditioner?"

Thanks in advance
Hey check out my recent post. Scroll down, i used Swissvax, best stuff ever.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592461
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & F25

Garage List
bmw leather care

greetings
funny you would ask these particular questions ... i just did a lot of research on this very same subject

(I own 2 2011 bmw automobiles with oyster nappa leather resp. black dakota leather)

i will list a few links to some more knowledgeable people in and around the leather industry but i will also give you my experience
http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ditioning.html the same author also has numerous other posts regarding leather care etc.

the bmw leather is “urethane” covered as protection and one should only use water based products

i just got of the phone with the folks of leather master in palm beach fl
http://shop.unitersna.com/collections/leather-master

they sell all the different products for leather care and they know the bmw leather types and suggested following products:

- leather master universal cleaner contains a highly effective detergent for cleaning leather upholstery like car, motorcycle, boat and aeroplane seats
-
http://shop.unitersna.com/collection...versal-cleaner

- leather master protection cream

http://shop.unitersna.com/collection...otection-cream

I have used both of these products and I am very pleased with the outcome and results
I suggest you buy the 1 liter bottle of the protection cream (I purchased the 250ml bottles and I am 50% out after 2 automobiles)

I have tried the bmw leather kit and unless you want your car to smell like a cow patty, I would suggest not using this product (it is also not very transparent if this product is water or oil based) – I ended up cleaning all leather surfaces with the leather master universal cleaner and then applying the protection cream

leatherique is also a very good product but it appears it is more suited for older and worn leather surfaces

hope this helps

feel free to pm me with questions
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

^ great advice, but if you're 50% gone after two cars, you're using way too much product, especially for the Protection Cream. You need to treat the product like you'd treat a layer of wax or sealant and put it on as thin as possible. Two ultra thin layers are better than a "thick" application.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjet View Post
leatherique is also a very good product but it appears it is more suited for older and worn leather surfaces
I bought the Leatherique Cleaner. Is that fine for using on a new car to clean/protect?

I'm assuming by, "more suited for older and worn leather surfaces" you were referring to the Leatherique Conditioner?
      10-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
greetings "muttgrunt" ... i must say that i was dumb enough not to use a foam applicator as called for ... instead i used a cotton terry towel which literally "sucked up" the product instead of me being able to spread it nice and thin .. i did 2 coats of the protection cream and the result was rather amazing (bear in mind my the interiors are only 2 months old)

maybe i need to rephrase my statement regarding the 1 liter bottle ... the vendor will ship for free if your total is above $50 and me being a somewhat a dollar cruncher i figured it would be less costly in the long run to purchase the larger bottle (the manufacturer also recommends to clean and apply protection cream at least 2-4 times a year depending of "seat usage")

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
^ great advice, but if you're 50% gone after two cars, you're using way too much product, especially for the Protection Cream. You need to treat the product like you'd treat a layer of wax or sealant and put it on as thin as possible. Two ultra thin layers are better than a "thick" application.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
electricjet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
greetings "dukat" after endless phone call to manufacturers of products (leather master, connolly in the uk, etc) , bmw north america, and very good articles written by "togwt" and endless help of numerous vendors, sponsors and contributors on our forums it became more and more apparent that the current used hides in new models of bms's require water based cleaners and protestants - whith that said i personaly use the leatherique cleaner in both of my 96 and 99 cars and it does a fantastic job in cleaning
i also have used the leatherique rejuvenator and will say that it restored the "worn" seats to a noticeable cleaner and cared for appearance.

after reading and receiving some very usefull information from "togwt" (link in earlier post) i gave leather master a try (always keeping in mind that i was dealing with the protective layer of new seats)

i heard some very good praise on the swissvax leather care line, which i will try once i am running out of the current product

regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
I bought the Leatherique Cleaner. Is that fine for using on a new car to clean/protect?

I'm assuming by, "more suited for older and worn leather surfaces" you were referring to the Leatherique Conditioner?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

The only thing better than a fellow enthusiast doing his own independent research to make sure his dollars are well spent and his car is properly maintained, is this exact situation: when he comes and gives back to the community of fellow enthusiasts by sharing his knowledge and experience.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Thanks for the info ElectricJet.

I'm glad you've had good experience with Leatherique Pristine Clean. As I already bought it I'd hate for it to be wrong for this leather & buy something else.

Look forward to trying it along with all the other stuff I was compelled by buy lately.
      10-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
twofast2s
Private
Rep

Thanks all for informative replies. As much as i appreciate the info shared by fellow enthusiasts, sometimes some of those informations do not apply and should be more clear for weekend detailers like myself.

Anyways, i just put in an order for zaino z10 which is supposed to be water based (altho not entirely100% sure) and ill try those out first.

I've been using lexol and have been somewhat not completely satisfied, because while the appearance of the finish was good, the suppleness of the leather was not, and little oily for my taste. Thats why I tried to look for something else entirely.

Dont get me wrong, but my seats in my perspective is better condition than when I got it and has no indication of cracks or damages showing.

Thanks again and i got some reading to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
twofast2s
Private
Rep

It seems like the author from autopia article recommends water-based product to "condition" or "re-hydrate" but states that our leather only needs cleaning and protection.
Also, he only mentions that prestine clean/rejuv. oil and connolly product are geared toward our BMW leathers, which both are not water based. Kinda contradicting article. It has good info, but as far as recommending which product to use as far as specific brand, not so much info. maybe this is because he doesn't really want to push products?

more reading to do..

Edit:
so it seems like when you say "water-based," it still contains oil, wax, linolin, etc... but the base, or solvent, is water instead of other organic chemicals like ether, acetone, etc.

This makes much better sense. I guess i'm just too noob to understand what water-based product truly meant.

Last edited by twofast2s; 10-05-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0