E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 15k miles Service

02-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
DSe93
DANNY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i AW/CR

Garage List
15k miles Service

I just hit 15K miles last week, shudn't the car be telling me it's time for service? shud I take it in even if the reminder didn't go off? I was called in just for an oil change around 10k... so what's the deal? thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
and/or call the dealer. You can check the service intervals after reading the former.
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSe93 View Post
I just hit 15K miles last week, shudn't the car be telling me it's time for service? shud I take it in even if the reminder didn't go off? I was called in just for an oil change around 10k... so what's the deal? thanks
This doesn't make much sense to me, so I'm going to try and parse it the best I can.

So you're saying that you went in for an oil change at 10k miles, right? Was this oil change prompted by your onboard computer or did you just feel like going in and paying for your own oil change? Either way, if the tech reset your service interval, your car will not be telling you it's time for another service at 15k miles.

Bigger picture, your service interval is not 15k miles on the dot. It's whatever the computer determines it to be, or one year from your last maintenance, whatever comes first. In addition, different parts have different service intervals. Like kruz said, read your manual. You can also check the service status through your onboard computer.
      02-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
its not exactly at 15k, sometimes the car will require an oil change earlier or later depending on the usage, etc... You can also check it on your dash/ idrive, if you don't know how to do that, I suggest you read the manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

if you did an oil change early they shouldn't have reset the CBS. Always take the car in when your car's CBS asks you to in order to maintain the warranty
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
DSe93
DANNY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i AW/CR

Garage List
Ok thanks. I payed for the break-in oil change at around 2k... then I got a call from the dealer sayin my car was due in for an oil change, I had 10k on the car. That's all that's been done. So basically I shudn't do anything until the car tells me...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

if your oil was changed at 10k, then take it in again when your car tells you to. If a year goes by since your 10k oil change and your car still isn't calling for a new oil change, then BMW will do a "low mileage" oil change for you. BMW will change your oil for you at least once per year even if your car isn't calling for it.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
if your oil was changed at 10k, then take it in again when your car tells you to. If a year goes by since your 10k oil change and your car still isn't calling for a new oil change, then BMW will do a "low mileage" oil change for you. BMW will change your oil for you at least once per year even if your car isn't calling for it.
I would check with the dealer on this one...
It's the dealer's discretion to change the oil if the OBC doesn't say to do so. BMW will not cover the costs
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok thanks. I payed for the break-in oil change at around 2k... then I got a call from the dealer sayin my car was due in for an oil change, I had 10k on the car. That's all that's been done. So basically I shudn't do anything until the car tells me...
Yeah, just sit tight until the car tells you.
      02-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I would check with the dealer on this one...
It's the dealer's discretion to change the oil if the OBC doesn't say to do so. BMW will not cover the costs
No, this is incorrect. Maintenance is when the OBC tells you or one year, whichever is sooner. There's no discretion involved. This what both my BMW and Mini CA's have told me. I did a 20-second search on-line and was referred to my Service and Warranty pamphlet for more info. Since I'm too lazy to get off my comfy office chair and go to my car, you'll just have to take my word for it.
      02-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Just an FYI - They don't use break-in oil any more so there was no need to change it at 2K. However I did my first oil change myself at 5K but I really didn't need to do it. I just didn't want to wait one year for the first oil change.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
No, this is incorrect. Maintenance is when the OBC tells you or one year, whichever is sooner. There's no discretion involved. This what both my BMW and Mini CA's have told me. I did a 20-second search on-line and was referred to my Service and Warranty pamphlet for more info. Since I'm too lazy to get off my comfy office chair and go to my car, you'll just have to take my word for it.
Are you sure...
The quote I referred to "BMW will change your oil for you at least once per year even if your car isn't calling for it."

I believe it's the first year, not each year subsequent
Now I'm going to have to check my maintenance manual later...
Maybe I'll eat some shoe leather and toe jam later?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you sure...
The quote I referred to "BMW will change your oil for you at least once per year even if your car isn't calling for it."

Yeah, I'm absolutely 100% sure. The reason is that neither my wife (who drives the Mini) or I plan on driving 15k a year in either car. I paid very close attention and even asked follow up questions to be sure that BMW will change the oil once per year for the four years of free scheduled maintenance.
      02-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

When the car first turns on it will show you a reading of how many miles you have until it is time for oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure...

I was told by my dealer that BMW will cover the cost of an oil whenever the OBC calls for it or at least once per year under what is called "low mileage oil change". I'd be interested to find out if the OBC will ever call for an oil change more than once in a year. I highly doubt it since BMW is paying for it.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Yeah, I'm absolutely 100% sure. The reason is that neither my wife (who drives the Mini) or I plan on driving 15k a year in either car. I paid very close attention and even asked follow up questions to be sure that BMW will change the oil once per year for the four years of free scheduled maintenance.
This is exactly the same question I asked and is also the main reason I declined to go with the extended maintenance program....because I'll likely only get two oil changes out of it during the two years of the program unless brakes are needed. I didn't want to spend $1600 on two oil changes, so I passed.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was told by my dealer that BMW will cover the cost of an oil whenever the OBC calls for it or at least once per year under what is called "low mileage oil change". I'd be interested to find out if the OBC will ever call for an oil change more than once in a year. I highly doubt it since BMW is paying for it.
If you drive > 30k miles a year, I'm sure you could get more than one free oil change; however, you'd be out of miles for the free maintenance within a year and half, so it all evens out really.

If you laugh that someone can drive that kind mileage per year, when I drove a Honda Accord, I had a 65+ mile commute each way to work (I was young, work beckoned, etc.). Driving that much, plus to parties and whatnot on weekends, I racked up 25k miles my first year of owning the car. I eventually passed to my family for their throwaround car five years later. It had 150k miles on it. My dad is still driving it around with > 250k miles on it. Crazy, just crazy.
      02-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #18
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
It should if you drive it a lot.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0