E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Disappointed with the OEM rubber mat fitment (resolved!)

12-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Disappointed with the OEM rubber mat fitment (resolved!)

So I ordered the OEM rubber mats back in the spring time from Tischer, when I originally got my CPO. Kept them in the closet until now, and put them in today. Everything went fine, swapped the rears and passenger mats, swapped the velcro clips for the hook clips..

The grand finale, let's pop the driver's mat in.. well.. no good.. the holes don't line up! After trying to force it a few times, since the rubber somewhat stretches, I realize this just isn't going to work. So my two choices are: get the fitment right, and just use one hook, while the other side can be moved a bit when touched.. or make a new hole on one of the sides. Soo.. new hole it is, it doesn't look bad or anything, but really, I expected this to be smooth sailing. In retrospect, I should have made the new hole on the side closest to the passenger, instead of the side you can see when you enter the car.. but whatever, it's not that bad. (Edit: Actually, now that I look at it again, the new hole has to be on the door side, as the mat won't line up properly if I use the existing hole on this side of the mat).

/cool story bro.

Resolved! This post was correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grn.eyed.bandit View Post
i have the exact same mats as those and have no issues whatsoever.

they come with hooked clips with a spike underneath that you screw into the carpet yourself, making the clips fit exactly as intended. theres no premade holes....the dealer put those holes when they installed the carpet mats in the same way. use some muscle and make a new hole with the hooked clips that are provided.
Good thing that it's rubber, as the hole I made in the mat just filled itself right back up, so you can't see that anything out of the ordinary happened.

Thanks bandit!

Last edited by dassub; 12-02-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Hmmm, strange.... are you sure you got the right mats?

Caz my rubber mats (the "Canadian" ones) is a tray type mat with no hook or holes.
      12-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Just grabbed the packaging from the recycle bin, pic attached. They seem to be the right ones. Ah well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Hmm, interesting, these fit on xi too!!!

I know there is a different part number for xi cars for the "canadian" winter mats
      12-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
TheDarkone
T H E D A R K O N E
Rep
Drives: its fast

Good story! There's a happy ending here.

The OEM rubber mats from your dealership come with spiral clips that self tap into the carpet floor (only if you have the premium mats...the one with the deep grooves with no carpet insert) so you end up making your own hole, the mats should have come with them along with instructions.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
I have the same issues to with my Genuine BMW mats... I had to punch a hole in it to line it up right. If not it bunched up by the footrest and gas pedal. Not good!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkone View Post
Good story! There's a happy ending here.

The OEM rubber mats from your dealership come with spiral clips that self tap into the carpet floor (only if you have the premium mats...the one with the deep grooves with no carpet insert) so you end up making your own hole, the mats should have come with them along with instructions.
With my summer mats, there's velcro spirals. With my winter mats, they're instead hook spirals.. so, no holes in the summer mats, but pre-made misaligned holes on the winter mats. Maybe it's because I got the us-spec winter mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

I have the same mats from the same US dealer, and I had the same problem mis-aligned holes when I went to install last Fall. I made new holes in the carpet and was done with it.

They are good mats, but not great. Besides the mis-aligned holes, they are not deep enough to hold any significant amount of water (after the snow and ice melts off your boots). The dirty, salty water ended up drying into the carpet of the car anyway, and it all needed to be cleaned out with a Bissel carpet cleaner in the spring (well, summer, by the time I got around to getting it cleaned). This year I plan on not driving around when there is snow/salt on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
grn.eyed.bandit
can you stand it?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Touring

they come with hooked clips with a spike underneath that you screw into the carpet yourself, making the clips fit exactly as intended. theres no premade holes....the dealer put those holes when they installed the carpet mats in the same way. use some muscle and make a new hole with the hooked clips that are provided.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome

12-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hmm.. this makes sense.. I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
grn.eyed.bandit
can you stand it?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Touring

glad everything worked out for you...but i'm confused...why did you put a hole in the rubber mat in the first place?

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome

12-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Carbon4
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 - 328i

Quote:
glad everything worked out for you...but i'm confused...why did you put a hole in the rubber mat in the first place?
He put a hole in the carpet in the car (which is rubber underneath the carpet) for the plastic hook to secure the mat, there are already holes on the mat.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Hell...I just removed the hooks and just left it not strapped down. Its fine...it's not like its really going anywhere anyways.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0